All reviewscliff housetasting roomwine tastingcolumbia rivercavern roomgorge amphitheatertendrils restauranthiked downmain buildingprivate patiohiking trailswedding partysoaking tubromantic weekendthe entire staffking bedcalled the front desk
Reviewed June 20, 2008

Beautiful scenery of both the gorge and the winery, terrific food, and comfortable suites make this a picturesque and romantic getaway.

We stayed in one of the Cliff Houses, which we highly recommend. The view of the sun setting over the gorge was very romantic. We enjoyed it from the private patio one night and from our room the other night. The birds were charming us as we sat outside, but it would have been helpful if we had been prepared with some bug spray. The room is equipped with everything to make your stay luxurious and relaxing - cool water bottles in the fridge, luxurious bath products and soaking tub, heavenly linens...

The breakfast was lovely and fresh - fruit, scones, juice, good coffee - and we enjoyed eating it outside on the patio. The staff are non-intrusive yet attentive.

Dinner at Tendril's is a must - and not just because they're the only place around! Our waiter had been given complimentary tickets to the evening's concert next door at the amphitheater and offered them to us.

If you hike down to the river during summer months, leave early in the morning so you can be back before the afternoon heat and be sure to bring plenty of water! It's hot!! During the heat of the afternoon, taste wines at the winery, treat yourself to a spa treatment, our lounge with a good book and be prepared to settle in for a relaxing and quiet respite.

You're sure to leave feeling refreshed and pampered! We highly recommend Cave B Inn.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2008

I have booked my company retreat here twice. May 2007 was a disaster, they over booked with a wedding and the food was terrible, but the location was awesome so we tried again in May 2008. This year was SO much better. The service was good and the food was terrific. They opened the pool early just for us. They aren't that great with the cleaning, the coffee pot in the room wasn't clean so we didn't use the glasses.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed May 10, 2008

It took a lot of guts and vision to plant a vineyard and build a luxury hotel in this particular location. My wife and I stayed here for one night in May 2009. There's a lot to like about the Cave B Inn but there are, as some previous reviewers have pointed out, a few problems. Maybe it's part of a long, "shakedown cruise." To begin with, this is a stunning property. The main building that houses the reception area, the lobby and the restaurant are architecturally stunning. It definitely makes a good first impression. The Cliffehouses are spread across the rim of the property and all face West towards the Columbia River Gorge. We stayed in #7 but were initially assigned a unit that unfortunately faced out directly to two other units directly in front of us and requested a change. (Also on the property is a spa and the winery/tasting room.) All of the units are super-modern and quite pretty. The room's layout was a little weird, though: the unit's only closet was in the entry directly in front of the door, somewhat removed from the bedroom. The fireplace is quite awesome and there's a built-in shelf for a TV that swivels to either face the sitting area or the bed. That's a nice touch. The bathroom was new and modern but there were only two towels in our unit. Also, there's no hook on the door to the separate bathroom and no paintings or artwork in the toilet area itself which makes it kind of plain. There are two glass doors to the outside patio, one from the bedroom the other from the sitting area. When I went to try to open the sitting area door, I had to grapple with it for quite a while before giving up and going outside where I found that the door was TAPED SHUT with blue tape! Surprise! Be advised that this area gets some very strong winds that blow ferociously. They blow a lot of dirt and dust in, which is why these units really don't have windows that open and can be left open accidentally....the doors are supposed to be able to close shut and keep the dust out. The winds had, in fact, broken the door and it was under repair when we arrived. But that fact hadn't been pointed out when when checked in. Neither was the fact that the pool was CLOSED. One of the reasons that we booked a night at this place was that it had a beautiful, outdoor pool. The pool was indeed beautiful but unavailable and we were quite disappointed to discover that it was off limits. Why? One staff member told us that the health department hadn't approved it yet. Another told us that the right chemicals hadn't been delivered. A third told us they thought the pool was open. We went down to check it out and discovered construction underway on the pool deck. The staff said they try to open up the pool by April 1 but this was already early May and more than a month late. The front desk should have told arriving guests the pool was not available and the clerk I spoke with looked at me cluelessly when I suggested it. Parking your car is an interesting experience here, too. There is a free valet service to park your vehicle in a lot a few hundred feet away, or you can self park there, too. I think the idea was that, since space around the units is at a premium it would be nice not to have it cluttered up with guest vehicles. But some guests chose to ignore this and their cars were parked in gravel strips adjacent to the end of vineyard rows. Weird. The restaurant was absolutely first class. We had a wonderful dinner and a great breakfast there. Both meals were absolutely terrific. Yummy deserts, too. This may be the most pet friendly place I've ever stayed. Not only are dogs welcome here, they're encouraged. Dog "kits" are available at the front desk and there is a wonderfully friendly Hotel Dog on duty all the time. Her name is Cuvee and she's a two year old black lab. Cuvee has the run of the place and will happily accompany you anywhere on the property and go for walks with you. Some guests even request that the dog be allowed to sleep on her pad in their units and the hotel says that's OK. In fact, there's a scrapbook in the lobby of pictures of Cuvee with dogs of guests. It's quite cute and I wish that our dog was as well-mannered as this one. All in all, this was a memorable experience at a nice place. There's a nice vibe at the Cave B Inn and some friendly people work there. Some people will find it's location too far off the beaten path but others would welcome its solitude. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark M
Reviewed April 7, 2008

My wife and I stayed at Cave B Inn for a wedding that took place on the grounds of the Inn. I do quite a bit of travel for business, so I always apply my "business traveler yardstick" to any place we stay on vacation.

We were assigned to Cliffhouse #4, which is a self-contained "cabin" and is the most high-end cabin I've ever seen. The unit was very clean and had nearly everything I could have wanted: free wifi, comfortable king-sized bed, fireplace, large windows with views of the Columbia River and surrounding cliffs. The bathroom had a lot of slab granite and Kohler plumbing fixtures. The cabin was very quiet since it is built out of concrete/stone and was not sharing a wall with anyone else. The housekeeping staff was super helpful and always available for anything we needed. High marks for the cabin.

Since you are in the middle of nowhere, the Tendrils restaurant is the only place to eat unless you drive for a while to a town such as Quincy. The kitchen and head chef have some great ideas for dishes and have an impressive self-sustaining model of growing and using their own herbs and vegetables. The wait staff is where we had issues, most of the team were youngish and unprofessional. The dinner on Friday night was actually very good, once my seared-but-raw thick-cut pork chop was completely cooked. The server seemed clueless when I told him my chop was raw. During the dinner, the server would ask "Are we done with that?" Well, I am but not sure if you are. The restaurant for dinner was actually something I'd recommend.

The restaurant was ok to not so good for breakfast or brunch. Prices were high ($15 ea for bkfst buffet, $23 ea for sunday brunch) but the plank roasted salmon at brunch was cold, the sausages were greasy, etc. I don't recommend the brunch.

Overall, I was impressed by this place that may not be appropriate for everyone. The staff of the Inn (excluding the restaurant) really impressed me with their helpfulness and attitude. You must note that this is not a standard hotel. It's really a place for meditation, looking at stars in the sky at night, listening to the wind blow and enjoying the beauty of the location.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed March 6, 2008

Flat screen TV hyped on website was maybe 15" and broken.

Burned out lights

Filthy window....couldn't see out when the sun shone.

No paper or pen in the room.

No bedside table on one side of bed....had to put glass of water and specs on the floor.

No reading lamp near chairs...couldn't sleep so had to take pillows into bathroom and sit on the floor to read in there.

No information on hotel or area in the room. Had to call desk for information about restaurant, spa, pool, etc.

We were told the only restaurant reservations available were 5:30 or 9:00. We chose 5:30, but there were at least half a dozen, sometimes more, tables available until we left the area around 8:30.

The snacks available in the room are extremely overpriced. A tiny bag of chips are priced at $3.00 and had an expiration date of November last year. I can understand needing some profit, but come on. And their bottle of wine was $30. Nice places in Sonoma and Napa comp a bottle of wine in your room.

Needless to say, we probably won't go back. One very good thing though......the food was fabulous and the wait staff was attentive.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple