“Best place ever for peace & quiet!”

and 1 more site!
Cave B Inn & Spa Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Quincy
Reviewed March 12, 2013

If you are looking for a "catch your breath" place, this is IT! We just stayed there for two nights and so enjoyed the ambience of being in a surreal setting amongst the cliffs and moonscape topography of this special place. We were looking for somewhere to stay on a driving trip from Spokane to Seattle, and I found this gem. We stayed in a Cliffhouse; highly recommended. Worth the extra money for sure. We stayed in room #7, which originally we thought was too close to the main building but decided that it had one of the best -- if not the best -- view of all. Extremely comfy bed, spacious bath and sitting area with fireplace made us feel right at home.

The complimentary wine tastings and two free bottles of wine were nice (part of our package), but being big winos with lots of tastings under our belts we felt the wines of Cave B were a bit underwhelming. They grow an insane number of grapes -- how can you be good at everything??? Our favs were the rose -- honestly quite nice and not sweet -- and the Merlot, not my favorite varietal by a stretch, but they did a decent job with this one.

Hiking to the river was great -- bring decent walking/hiking shoes -- as was just wandering around the property. Salads we took from the restaurant on take out had phenomenally fresh greens -- impressive! We did dinner in at Tendrils one night, the tasting menu with wine parings, which was scrumptious, but quite overpriced. What surprised us was that every single wine in their restaurant is their own. NO other vintners! Since their wines were mostly B+ - C- we were a bit taken aback. Service was A+.

But the ambience of the place really made up for the few shortcomings, and our second night out at the fun and very local color Idle Hour bar in Quincy, about a half hour away, was a hoot. Kobe burgers with special cheddar made by Oregon State college students were delicious, and the owner Rosy came up and made us feel right at home.

All in all, we highly recommend this away-from-it-all place. Peaches, the sweet orange tabby wandering the property was a special plus for us since we left our sweet orange tabby at home!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

We live fairly close and have always wanted to go as it looked very interesting.
The setting is absolutely stunning. Eastern WA has some incredible surprises and the Columbia Gorge is one of them. The "campus" struck me funny I suspect because this usual desert scrub is be speckled with stone buildings, yurts and trails.
Check in was cool and simple. Missing was an "eager sell" of this destination which I thought was odd. Next, we were offered a carry of our bags to our room which we declined. We parked and followed the stone and then gravel trail down to our room (cavern). After this trek I told my husband that I was returning to the restaurant in my jeans and Danskos as I would not walk the trail in heels!
The room was comfortable, clean and with that beautiful backdrop of the Columbia Gorge.
We had reservations for dinner at 5 so we went up at 4:30 thinking we could have a drink in the bar. We entered in the check in area again and asked if the bar was open and was told " not yet" I mentioned that we would be sitting in the lobby until our dinner. After I few minutes a restaurant employee came out and handed us a menu and took our beverage order. The menu is pre-set. 3 course, 5 course and you could have it with a wine pairing of Cave B Winery's offerings. We chose the 5 course with pairing. This was $95 each. The food was good, the wine was excellent and the service impeccable. We were alone in the dining room until 7p when 2 other couples arrived. Both couples were dressed casual as well so we definitely did not feel out of place.
Will we return? Absolutely. The next time will be in the summer and we will enjoy the trails and the wine tasting. We will try a cliff house and probably drive to one of Ellensburg, Moses Lake or Wenatchee for dinner or pack a picnic. The restaurant is too limited for us. I suspect that the bias is that for the price we expect a choice and out standing food. The food was good, just not enough to entice us again.
There is little or no cell service/ Internet so expect this. It is very quiet and peaceful but, do not expect this during the summer concert series next door at Gorge Amphitheater.
There is a full service spa on site, but I don't think we will utilize as we love our services in our own community and the prices are 1/3!
I do suggest you prepare for the rocky trails to your room. It is very dimly lit at night and if you are tipsy from wine you may find yourself falling. A flash light or a ride back to out room was offered after our dinner.
There is no room service but there is a small refrigerator. Bring snacks!
This is an interesting destination and we recommend a stay. Just be informed.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I was married here October 2011. The choice did me credit: the cliffehouses were a delight, the property was incredible, and all my guests were stunned by its beauty. People who see the photos are amazed. It was a lovely romantic memory for me.

The staff did a wonderful job of making it basically a turn-key operation. We set up our vases on the bare dining tables before, they filled them all with water (lots and lots of large, tall, heavy vases) and set them up on the tables for us--turning on the underwater tea lights, putting the vase fillers in, and the florists did the rest.

The night of the wedding, the food was delicious, served on time and it was plentiful. Our guests were very impressed, and we had no worries. A nice touch was the chocolate covered strawberries they provided as part of the service. I spoke to the chef later, and he was professional, friendly and helpful.

Few weddings go without a hiccup, and mine did indeed have one. It was an unintentional error, of course, but I was upset. I knew, however, that they would want to make it right.

I was not disappointed. I chose to return to cave b for our wedding, and they bent over backwards to make us happy and keep our business. They made sure that our stay was special and that we felt appreciated. I must especially commend Grace Shaddox who not only sent a lovely and delicious bottle of sparkling wine and chocolate covered strawberries to our beautiful cave house, she added some personal touches that were specific to us and meant a great deal to us.

We also took advantage of a wine tasting and brought home a couple of bottles which we are saving for a special occasion. What a lovely time. We will be back, again, and again.

Room Tip: Pretty much all the rooms are amazing, but I seriously enjoyed the cliffehouses.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank audreykate
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We did not use the spa as you have to book before arrival and we were not that organized this trip. I do not believe there was a fitness center here but there are plenty of trails for walking and hiking! We had excellent, friendly service and felt we received a tremendous value as we purchased an amazon local deal so it was very affordable! Additionally, we happened to be there during a winemaker's event and we were able to join in on the tour of the property and heard the history of the winery as well as information on the grapes and planting strategies as told by the owner! Only bummer - no microwave for my morning oatmeal.... Bring snacks, water just incase you don't feel like eating in the restaurant every meal but if you do you will love it -- the food was scrumptious!

Room Tip: We stayed a a Cliffhouse - gorgeous room and porch overlooking the gorge! Only bummer - no microwav...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We celebrated our wedding anniversary and valentines weekend at this beautiful property. I had some doubts about the weather specially in February. But to our surprise it was just slightly cold and sunny all weekend round. It was windy the first day but still bearable with a jacket and gloves. We also hiked the Columbia river trail which is gorgeous and not to be missed. We also looped the waterfall trail on our way back which has a decent waterfall but beautiful scenes.

The winery is very good. Some of the wines were very nice (Unoaked Chardonnay was my favorite). Tendrils restaurant was great for dinner but not so much for brunch. The brunch buffet had really bad selections and un-appetizing choices. The only decent thing for us was to order at the omelette station. Dinner on the other hand was one of the best. The steelhead entree and white chocolate dessert was one of the best I have had.

Do not rely on DVD selection at the resort. I rented couple of DVDs from redbox on our way to the resort. Also the wifi is one of the best I have seen at any resorts, we watched Hulu plus and Netflix without any lags.

We had reserved sunset king suite but we got upgraded to a cliffe house which was awesome. If you can afford it, go for the cliffe house. The service and staff are very nice, they were nice enough to put a microwave for us in our room before we arrived.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DetectiveMuffin
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We loved this place! Such a beautiful setting, with one long wall of floor-to-ceiling windows looking over the Columbia River gorge. It was blessedly quiet, too - very peaceful. Lots of natural light in our rooms, at check-in, and in the restaurant. We stayed in a one-bedroom cliffhouse and I highly recommend it for a romantic stay. It was wonderful how the fireplace is in the center wall between the bedroom and livingroom so you can enjoy it from both spaces. The stonework was beautiful and the bathroom was spacious and artfully laid out. Also appreciated that coffee maker and mini fridge hidden in the wardrobe. We hiked down to the river one afternoon and enjoyed the change in landscape from Western Washington. Everyone we spoke with at the inn was very friendly and helpful. We didn't visit the spa or participate in the wine tasting (mainly because I knew we were going to taste five wines at dinner), so I can't comment on those.

Things to know:
It can be muddy in the winter, e.g. the place to park our car next to our cliffhouse was quite muddy. This is, after all, set in vineyard fields, which is a big plus as far as I'm concerned. : ) In the summer it's probably quite dry.

Also, the restaurant's menu is quite limited compared to most places. For dinner there were only two options, a 3-course meal or a 5-course meal, with a different wine paired with each course. This makes it very expensive. It was very good and lots of fun! Good to know ahead of time that those are your only options, though.

I loved this place and plan on returning!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We recently stayed at Cave B on a Sunday night in a cliffehouse for our five year wedding anniversary. We booked our stay online and chose the caveman package that includes complimentary tastings and a bottle of red wine. After I booked the stay, I emailed them to make reservations at the restaurant and asked for the best table available since it was our anniversary and also asked what time tasting ended. I quickly received an email response saying that tasting closed at 5 and our reservation had been received. When we arrived at Cave B at 2pm on Sunday we were immediately informed that the tasting ended at 4 and we needed to hurry to get there. That was frustrating since I had been told, in writing, that they would be open until 5. We rushed to the tasting room and did have plenty of time to taste, so all was well. We also went to the restaurant for our reservations at 7 and were given a table in the middle of the room, which was also sort of annoying since we had requested a special table for our anniversary and saw several better tables left open and/or with other couples at them. The restaurant also had a prix fixe 3 or 5 course menu that night, which ranged from $40-$95 per person. Since the website lists a full menu with lots of options, we thought it would have been nice to have been told at check in that the menu was limited, but the food was good and the service was fantastic, so again, we ended up leaving happy. One thing to note is that they charge $15 to open any bottle of wine you bring into the restaurant, including bottles you buy in the tasting room. What is truly outstanding about Cave B, and what makes it worth the money, are the rooms and the view. Our cliffehouse was amazing. It was large, comfortable, well-furnished and smelled delicious. The bed was comfortable, the fireplace is warm and separates the living room from the bedroom, and we loved our deck that looked out over the gorge. The soaking tub was a bit small and the water turned cold before it filled completely, but the bathroom was so lovely I didn’t mind. It has a spa feel, with full sized products, a separate room for the toilet, a stand up shower and it just smells so good! We enjoyed the room so much, we didn’t want to leave, which is always nice, especially at a resort that is so far isolated from anything else. And because Cave B is isolated, the grounds are quiet and serene, and it is so peaceful and relaxing to be there. I can only imagine how great it is in the summer when the pool is open. We would definitely come back to Cave B and recommend it to others, but they could go from 4 stars to 5 in our book, if they improved customer service just a bit and worked to keep guests a little better informed of their changing hours and services.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Misdamina

Been to Cave B Inn & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!