All reviewscliff housetasting roomwine tastingcolumbia rivercavern roomgorge amphitheatertendrils restauranthiked downmain buildingprivate patiohiking trailswedding partysoaking tubromantic weekendthe entire staffking bedcalled the front desk
Reviewed November 5, 2012

4 of us shared two cliff houses for the weekend. Generally it was a very good experience. The staff was excellent with great attitudes, willingness to help and smiles all around. We had dinner both nights at Tendril's with one a little dissapointing and the other great. Prices were comiserate with a hotel/resort of this type. One dissapointment was that Tendril's only serves Cave B wine, it would have been nice to have a wider selection. At our second night's dinner we brought in a wine we had wanted to try and paid the $15 corkage.
Rooms were very nice, clean, and well maintained with super great views!
This is a very unique place and we are looking forward to a return visit in the spring

Room Tip: Reserve well in advance to book a cliff house.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I was at Cave B fa for a couple of night last August for my birthday with a friend. From beginning to end I couldn't be more please with the place that I picked for my 30th birthday celebration. Perfect location, great architecture, beautiful scenery, great wines, and good food. Everything was perfect but I got to admit that the staff was what made the difference between any luxury Hotel and Cave B. The couldn't be more kind, friendly and helpful. They went beyond my expectations to satisfy my needs and to provide me with the best experience ever. I especially want to thank Leroy to go above his limits to find me when my sister needed to get a hold with me over the phone. Thank you Cave B for a wonderful experience! I will be back soon.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Isabel T
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We went Cave B Inn for a wedding, and had the experience of staying in two different room types due to the 'better rooms' being booked over the weekend. Suffice to say, there is a huge difference in quality of stay based on room type. First night = cliff room, and it was spectacular. However, I strongly agree with other reviewers here that the Inn's service is sketchy at best. We had no directory on the in room phones, and had better luck getting someone to answer on requests (ie: spa reservation) when we phoned in via cell. Second night = Yurt. Now, I'm not a pollyanna about what you get when you stay in something called a Yurt, but the issues we had were directly related to upkeep of those rooms. Amenities were missing (soap, hair dryer, towels). There was a fly paper strip full of little bug corpses hanging near our bed. And then -- worst of all -- we found out just how bad the insect issue was when we found wasps in the yurt, including in our bed. I get it -- some 'wildlife' is to be expected in the middle of a vineyard, but the Inn was not at all helpful (although apologetic). It took hours for maintenance to come in and spray our yurt to kill the wasps, and even then it just seemed to anger the bugs. I'm not found of being in a room that was just dosed with bug spray, and even less found of trying to relax while dodging flies & wasps falling in a death spiral from the ceiling. It was completely unnerving, and we almost slept in our car. Please note that the bride was also incredibly dissappointed by the series of event planners provided for her wedding & reception -- they apparently kept disappearing and were little to no help (see: Staff problem). Also note that once you're there, you're 30 minutes from restaurant options other than Cave B's, and they tend to have a limited menu and limited hours. They were actually turning away members of the wedding party for the brunch because there was not enough room / food. Not even a vending machine to fall back on. They seriously need to work on the service and quality details, which is unfortunate since the location is beautiful. The vineyard has different management from the Inn, and it shows.

Room Tip: Yurts = I cannot recommend, even for happy campers. Cliffroom = yes. Add lots of wine, and its probably a good get-away-from-it-all vacation. Plan ahead for meals & snacks, either with reservations and / or your own food supply. Very confusing layout, good luck navigating at night. You can literally drive off a cliff. Service is lacking, so be prepared to manage your own baggage (emotional & physical luggage) Beautiful scenery, but not much more than that. Bring a book (or five) to read. Wi-fi was solid; special thanks to Steve Jobs for creating the iPad as it saved my sanity. Heater in Yurt was loud, but it drowned out the buzzing of the flies / wasps.
2  Thank atx_tori
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Beautiful dramatic location, but seriously understaffed. We stayed in one of the cliff houses below the main inn. There was no one to help us with our luggage, which we struggled with down many stairs to the house. The room was spacious, but only had one luggage rack and the heater fan was so noisy we turned it off. The DVD player had been removed from our room. There was no information describing the hotel amenities. When I called the front desk to inquire, I was told that the compendium was being updated. Ice was available by walking back to the front desk. At dinner, there was only one server and his assistant. The food was good, but we were surprised that they only offer the Cave B wine, which is average at best. The stairs down to our room were not completely lit, making the return from dinner treacherous.

1  Thank WWVines
Reviewed October 15, 2012

The Cave B Inn has multiple offerings, so your experience will depend on how you tailor your getaway. The wines and the winery are exceptional. Service was good, the 7.00 tasting a great deal and the wines were created with tremendous skill and finesse. Dinner in the main building was exceptional, with commensurate pricing. Accommodations range from yurts up to small private villas. We were in a very spacious and cool suite, with soaring ceilings, glass walls, central whirlpool, marble surfaces, fireplace, etc.... There were minor detail shortcomings though - maintenance issues - that reminded me we were there in the off season, with possibly lower staffing levels than during the peak time. The overall experience is impressive and almost inspiring. It is especially impressive that such an ambitious, high grade vision was converted to reality in place that is geographically distant from the probable target customer base.