“Great Concept, Subpar Execution”

Cave B Inn & Spa Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Quincy
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed here two nights for our honeymoon. The setting is absolutely beautiful with rooms tucked between rows of grape vines and expansive westerly views over the river gorge. It is peaceful, remote, and relaxing with spotty cell service (a negative for some, but exactly what we were looking for). Beds are comfy and breakfast was great. Dinner wasn’t bad either, albeit pricy since this essentially is the only place to eat during your whole stay.

Now for the rest (and why we will not be recommending this place to others anytime soon) – I am just going to provide a bulleted list for simplicity since the list is long:

- The reservation person I spoke with seemed like they wanted to be doing anything
but making a reservation.
- We never received a confirmation, nor information on how to book activities as
promised.
- We booked an upper floor room, but upon arrival were checked into a lower floor
(thankfully, this was rectified at the check-in desk).
- There is absolutely no attention to detail or personal touches which seems a bit
absurd for the type of property (and price) Cave B is trying to be….let me
expound….no one came to clean our room or make our bed on the day between our
two nights, the sink handle was loose, the bath handle fell off when turned, the TV
remote control didn’t work, there was a plunger next to the toilet (not a big deal…but
it does leave one to wonder), the carpet felt as if it had never been cleaned or had
one too many dogs stay in the room, and the towels were small and thin – like you
would get at the gym – and the TP was the kind you find at the outhouse at a
trailhead.
- Our key card stopped working the second day, but the bigger concern was the fact
the desk gave me a new card without any sort of ID check – anyone could have
gotten a key to our room!
- And last, but not least, not that we expected special treatment or a room upgrade for
it being our honeymoon, but a simple “congratulations” would have been nice.

Room Tip: If you stay in the Cavern Rooms, stay on the upper floor for more privacy
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AlleyB
LoyHelmlyGM, General Manager at Cave B Inn & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2011

I appreciated receiving your comments about our poor execution during you recent visit and apologize that we did not meet your expectations. As you may have noted in my other replies, we are listening to our guests closely and working on improving our services.

Communication, follow through and attention to detail are important issues we are focused on currently. By reading some of the more favorable reviews, I can see we are making progress but we are still inconsistent. Your review will encourage us to keep working so that if you visit us again, you will find that we have achieved better service for all our guests.

Loy Helmly, General Manager

Reviewed September 11, 2011

My husband uses a wheelchair, so travelling can be difficult. When I made a reservation for a cavern room, I asked for a wheelchair-accessible room and was told it was available. When I called a few days later to check on the reservation and mentioned the wheelchair again, I got a call back saying that they would have to change our accomodations because the room we reserved was not accessible. They wanted to upgrade us to a cliff house, but there was only one available for the last two of our three nights. So they had to put us in a yurt for the first night. We were a bit apprehensive, but the yurt turned out to be really nice (at least for one night) and quite accessible.

The cliff house for our last two nights was lovely. The view from the private patio was gorgeous. The cliff house turned out to be less accessible than the yurt, oddly enough. My husband was unable to get his wheelchair under the bathroom sink, and there was no way to fix that. A few hours after we got into the cliff house, I checked under the bed to make sure the lift we use to get my husband into bed would be able to get under there, and there was a box holding up the bed rather than a metal frame, so there was no way the lift would fit. I had specifically asked about this and was told it would be OK, so this was frustrating. However, when I called the front desk and told them about the problem, they showed up within half an hour with a metal frame for the bed. It took them about 20 minutes to swap out the box for the metal frame, and then everything was fine.

All in all, we had a great time. The staff, especially Leroy, Grace and Sarah, were very nice and did what they could to make sure we enjoyed our stay. I rated it a 4 because there were some avoidable problems, but they were dealt with in a 5-star way.

Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2011

Our road trip in 2010 was a catastrophe as my girlfriend suffered a brain injury and ended up in intensive care. This was one of the places she really want to stay and when we eventually arrived - 2 weeks late - the reception we got was amazing. They really looked after us.
The teepee was fab, the food in the restaurant was excellent but the owners' kindness is what really sticks in the memory.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2011

We stayed one night at Cave B Inn on our way back from Walla Walla wine tasting trip. We didn't want to deal with the horrific traffic on I-90 east so we decided to wait it out at Cave B. We originally booked a Yurt but when one of our friends told us they had a review here about some furry friends in the yurts we requested to be in another room/accommodation. We arrived on Labor Day just after the Dave Matthews All Weekend Festival so we figured most people would have check out by midday Monday. We were told we probably wouldn't get a different room but in the end the staff made it happen and we were grateful. Everyone is always very friendly at the Inn. We love the views and the whole setting. However, if you aren't going to just relax and SLOW DOWN in every way, you might be frustrated. The staff, though always courteous and helpful, seem to take more time to accomplish anything then most places we stay. I just truly think the Inn is understaffed. I don't know if its because the area is remote and its difficult to find qualified employees with little turnover? There are facility issues in that I think more attention to detail should be paid to cleaning and upkeep. We went to our friends room and they had large dinner plate sized marks above their bed with drip marks running down the wall. It looked like a giant spit ball (prob wet towel) was wadded up and thrown at the wall to stick. Weird. We didn't have an iron or ironing board in our room. I needed one to iron the last clean outfit I had so we could head to dinner. It took my husband two trips to the main lobby and 4 calls plus 40 minutes later to finally get what I needed. The iron was NOT one I would normally have used for fear whatever was on it might end up on my clothing. Nonetheless, our meal at the restaurant, (again slow staff but very pleasant and we were in no rush), was good. The bed linens acceptable. I would say the towels were less than soft. More Holiday Inn'ish. I don't think my feedback is hugely different then alot of the other reviews here but I do want to clarify, this is an awesome place, its serene, its views unbeatable, but if the Inn doesn't address some of the issues I think they will have to lower their rates. Their rates justify a little bit more attention to detail and timely service. Period.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
LoyHelmlyGM, General Manager at Cave B Inn & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2011

We read your review recently describing your spontaneous visit just after Labor Day Weekend and the Dave Mathews Band Caravan Tour at the Gorge Amphitheater. With the concert festival and holiday weekend, it was an extremely busy period for our property. It is unfortunate that our service declined noticeably after this busy period and we do apologize for our errors.

We agree with you that timely service and attention to detail are deserved for all of our guests, all the time and we will share your comments with the departments you mentioned in order that we may make improvements. Your notes will help our staff to realize that we must perform consistently, no matter what the business levels may be.

We are so glad that, overall, you felt our location, peaceful surroundings and friendly staff were positive notes to your trip and we look forward to your next visit.

Loy Helmly, General Manager

Reviewed September 1, 2011

I was going to see a concert at the Gorge Amphitheatre and had been calling for months in hopes that someone would cancel their reservation. Somehow, fate smiled upon me and i was able to book a cliffhouse for 2 of the three nights i would be in the area for.
If you are uptight and used to marble and 5 star everything this might not be your place, but it really is. Everything was not perfect here, the amenities in the bathroom are full sized and are local to the facility unlike most places that just give you little bottles of what they provide. This is really the only thing that wasnt perfect to me.
The food was pretty good, not amazing. the wine on the other hand was really good. This place is amazing. I look forward to staying at Cave B whenever possible and almost want to make it a yearly event. Go see some music at Gorge Amphitheatre and stay at Cave B. Life really doesnt get much better when you are going to see a concert.
Back to Cave B. I had a Cliffhouse, which was incredible. I felt like i was in my own world. Its rare that i find myself as happy and at peace as i was while staying at this place. It is spread across a beautiful well kept winery and there arent alot of accomodations. I imagine no more than a hundred or so people are on the grounds at any time. It is sort of like you are staying at a friends winery overnight, if you are lucky enough to have a friend with a winery!
All the employees i encountered were very personable and nice. I enjoyed every moment of my stay here and im not sure if it could have been better.
If i had to rate Cave B on a star rating, i would probably give it 4-4.25 stars. that would be just the face of it tho. The truth is that this is a five star facility because of the ambiance and experience it provides. It was truely unique and i cant wait to go back and stay again. i was lucky enough to get a Meteor shower one of the nights i was there and walking around the grounds, watching meteors fall from the sky was one of the most incredible nights i have had in recent memory. the only thing that really rivals it is sitting on an ocean cliff watching meteors fall. Even if i didnt get the Meteor shower my feelings and review would still be the same.
I would consider this a romantic retreat and destination. it has a very private and intimate feeling. It is also good to just get away or go have fun for a few days. I would like to thank the owner for providing such a beautiful destination and really look forward to going back, year after year. I feel like this winery will grow into a world class facility and wish I were alot closer to it.

Room Tip: Call long in advance, Get a cliffhouse, really, i mean it, get a cliffhouse!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 31, 2011

Our stay at Cave B was terrific! It was exactly what we needed, two days of getting away from it all. Cave B delivers on this in a big, beautiful way. The views are spectacular and the scope of the resort is staggering; wine tasting, spa, pool, hikes and special activities. Only 30 accommodations and very obliging staff. We stayed in a one-bedroom Cliffhouse, which is nicely appointed with seating area, desk, fireplace and king size bed. We found the room to be spacious, clean and very comfortable.
Our days were spent hiking, playing golf at nearby Moses Lake, lounging by the pool and just relaxing on our patio.
If we had to find a complaint, it would be that other guests kept walking on the little itty-bitty lawn in front of our Cliffhouse rather than taking the marked paths. It is unnerving to be relaxing in your unit and have people are walking by just a few feet from your wall of glass windows and doors. This not the resort's fault, however, perhaps they can help prevent this by making it obvious that the areas just in front of the units are private..
On the food side, we enjoyed our two lunch and two dinner meals in the dining room and especially loved that much of the produce came from the Chef's garden on the property as well as other local purveyors. Food plating is outstanding.
We had heard so much about the resort and we are so glad that we were able to finally get there. As soon as we can, we plan to come back.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2011

We spent a night at one of the lovely cliff houses at Cave B. I can't complain about the accomodations which are plush, the views is outstanding etc. However, there is no parking next to the cliff houses so a valet takes your car off to a parking area in the vineyard. There is no where to unload your luggage other than stopping in the driveway, potentially blocking traffic (which we did both loading and unloading) and putting your stuff on the sidewalk. Then you get to schlepp your bags etc down (and later up) 30-50 stairs to your room. Absolutely NO assistance with bags was offered by ANYONE. we're in good shape but a pricey lodge like this tends to attract older folks who may not be able to carry a heavy bag up 30 steps! And if you have purchased wine on your travels you certainly don't want to leave it in your hot car, so carrying a case or two of wine up and down stairs is a feat many people can't do easily . I think that any hotel with rooms averaging $300+ a night might provide some assistance with luggage!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quincy
Best Western Rama Inn
Best Western Rama Inn
#1 of 3 in Ephrata
Crescent Bar RV Resort
The Suites at Crescent Bay Resort

Been to Cave B Inn & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!