“The room was a dump the restaurant was good”

Rain Forest Resort Village
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Quinault
Reviewed August 27, 2005

I would stay in a tent and eat at the resturant, it would be cleaner and quieter. The hotel rooms are old and noisy and the carpets are beyond dirty. When I mentioned it at check out the lady said maybe they'd get them cleaned once the season ended-be sure you wear shoes until then.

Maybe the fireplace cabins are in better shape!!

The restaurant had great fish and a pleasant staff.

• Stayed: August 2005
9  Thank LK_MB

Reviewed August 17, 2005

I wish I had found the reviews on your site before our trip. They really should be on the Lake Quinault page as well. Given the reviews of the motel rooms, I don't understand Trip Advisor's ranking of this place. I am in complete agreement with the reviewers of the motel rooms--truly awful with no redeeming qualities. They are run-down with furniture that belongs in a thrift shop. The walls are wood paneling that is scarred from long use or abuse. The bathroom was ill-lit and ugly. One light fixture was shattered; the sink was at about knee level and had very large chips out of the enamel. A switch plate on the wall was metal with lots of rust spreading out over it. The mattress was hard and lumpy with a strange ridge down the middle. There is no sound proofing. We were in a bottom unit, and the family upstairs sounded like a herd of cattle with loud human voices. The rooms are, indeed, airless. Small under the window vents were mentioned by another reviewer, and we had those in our room, but they were completely clogged with dirt and dead insect parts. We opened our door to get air and got a lot of flying bugs in our room in addition to the resident swarms of gnats. Furthermore, the rooms lack privacy. The front room has a very large picture window, but there is no kind of offset from the narrow parking area in front, so that everyone walking by is about two feet from your window. Some people gaze straight ahead, but others look right in. One guy actually waved at me. These rooms do have a view of the lake but between them and the water is the parking for the motel, so if you don't mind cars in the foreground. . . . We had breakfast at the on-site Salmon House restaurant. My spouse asked for a side of salsa, and the waiter brought a quart jar of Pace's salsa. Not even a serving spoon. I can only surmise that information of how food can become contaminated hasn't yet reached the kitchen and wait staff, not to mention matters of presentation. I'm just happy we got away without food poisoning or vermin, but I am a bit tight jawed about being ripped off a C-note. I suggest the owners either burn the motel building in situ (without collecting insurance) or chop it up and use it for firewood.

• Stayed: August 2005
11  Thank MercyHeart
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed June 6, 2005

I just stayed at the Rain Forest Resort Village, and it does not seem to be the same place as the person from Texas was talking about. We stayed in one of the Parkside Suites, really very nice. Great view, jetted tub, fireplace and a great mattress also.
The Salmon House is where we had are best dinners.

I would highly recommend the Rain Forest Resort Village.

• Stayed: May 2005
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Brownsville, Texas
Reviewed May 28, 2005

We made plans to start our celebration of our 30th wedding anniversary at Olympic National Park before we went off to Alaska on a cruise. We made reservations for a week at Rain Forest Resort Village. What a dissapointment! This place has not been remodeled in 30 or 40 years. We stayed one night because when we arrived it was too late in the evening to change hotels. This place was awful, it smelled, the bed had a mattress that propably was bought in the 60s. Don't stay here if you are used to staying at 3-5 star hotels.

We drove to the North Shore (1/2 mile away) and found this wonderful place called Lake Quinault Resort. This is a true resort, we were very fortunate that the owner had a room available for the week. What a difference! We loved the place so much that we are planning to come back here next year.

• Stayed: May 2005
13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Yakima, WA
Reviewed April 11, 2005

Talk about unconventional, being in the rainforest during a drought. The local new was all about the dry spell that the Northwest was going through and the long term effects. You don't hear me complaining. The weather was great for hiking the rainforest trails that lead right from the Resort. We were staying at a great place call the Rain Forest Resort Village, which is right on Lake Quinault. The sunsets were awesome from our cabin, #18. The cabin was large with two queen beds, a kitchen, full bath, large covered porch and a great view.
The Salmon House Restaurant is just up the little hill from our cabin. It was only open in the evenings. The fare was wonder, I had the Salmon of course, my partner had the Top Sirloin.
We talked with people who had been Steelhead fishing, and what a time they had. Next time, when I go back, will have try it.

All in all, what an escape!

• Stayed: February 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Tacoma, Wa.
Reviewed February 24, 2005

I had lost my gramps back in Aug. of 2004 and spent a very emotional 3mos. closing out his affairs. I told my husband we should get away for a couple days. We had never stayed at Lake Quinault so went there. When we got there we were greeted by a friendly young woman and said if any problems contact her(the office we found out later, closed at 9:00 pm)so no help. We went to our cabin, #4 and were pleasantly surprised, It was cozy! We took a walk outside to the lake and enjoyed a beautiful sunset. We had a pricey dinner at the restaurant next door that didn't use real hamburger meat, not sure just what it was so we didn't finish our meal. Back at our cabin my hubby lit the fire and I went into the bathroom to use the jet bath that I heard about and looked forward to. Well I turned the water on and stepped out to enjoy the fire which was nice while it lasted, about 15mins. The wood was to big to burn. I went back into the bath and I looked down at the most horrible sight, the jets were spewing out debris into the tub. I spent the next hour cleaning out but there was so much filth I gave up on my relaxing jacuzzi and went to bed. All in all, we did get away. Connie, Tacoma, Wa.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 16, 2004

Stayed here in September 2004. The resort is about a mile on from The Lodge. We stayed in a cabin right by the lake. The view from the deck was fantastic, especially when the bats flew out at dusk, and the furnishings were rustic and absolutely fine, with a great fireplace. The bar was friendly and the owner is quite a character! It has a well-stocked grocery store and gift shop. Other guests told me the restaurant is the best in the area.
Don't miss the lakeside trail from the ranger station that leads to the camground and rainforest trail, especially at sunrise or sunset.

Our cabin, although not super-luxurious, was really cosy, and terrific value at $115 for two bedrooms. We had a great, if a lilttle pricy, breakfast at the Lodge, which looked more upmarket, but I was glad we'd picked the resort. Highly recommended!

7  Thank RCMS123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quinault
Lake Quinault Lodge
#1 of 3 in Moclips
Ocean Crest Resort
Ocean Crest Resort
#2 of 3 in Moclips

Been to Rain Forest Resort Village? Share your experiences!