“Beautiful place”

Lake Quinault Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Quinault
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 29, 2007

We went late July. Weather was great. Place is beautiful. Great trails and scenery. Cabins look better on pictures. It made me smile looking at them and remembering the price. I understand it takes some funds to keep the place running, but honestly I would not pay half to stay there. Great place for a day trip and not too far from the city where one can get much better deals on lodging. Prices might suggest that there is some luxury involved. NO, just basic place to stay and not very attractive. However, if luxury is not one of your "must have" it is very convenient and meets the basic needs. But if nature is your goal this is an EXCELLENT place to visit.

• Stayed: July 2007

Reviewed July 15, 2007

We just returned from a wonderful family trip to the pacific northwest, the highlight of which was our little rainforest getaway at Lake Quinault. It is a rustic, charismatic, relaxing, friendly setting in the midst of the awe-inspiring beauty of the area. We stayed in room 304 in the boathouse, I think it's the best room! Nice view of the lake, lots of comfy adirondak chairs and picnic tables just outside our doorstep. The room also had a nice big table with chairs inside, the housekeeper told me ours was the only boathouse room with that much space. There were a couple of "issues" with the room, but none outshone the wonderful atmosphere it created for us. One issue was the beds, they are old and lumpy and dip in the middle. Another was that only two of our six windows actually opened to allow the breeze in. We were provided with two big fans to keep the air moving though, and it was fine. The third issue was that the bathroom was really stinky. I think the floors might have been recently redone because it was a very weird, pungent smell. We did not spend too much time in the room though, so we didn't much care. Our kids are little so we spent a lot of time swimming to the stationery raft in the lake, then warming up in the pool (as much as I hated sitting INDOORS for even a few minutes, the kids loved the pool). We also did several short hikes in the beautiful rainforest, enjoyed the 30 mile drive around the lake, took an evening boat tour of the lake with a wonderful guide named Carl, had a couple of meals in the lodge restaurant, a couple more from the cafe at the merchantile directly across the street, and one at the salmon house restaurant down the street. All in all, it was a near-perfect visit and we hated to see it end!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank kenfam
Reviewed July 15, 2007

Confirmed reservation made through National Park Reservations by phone at 866 875-8456, a month in advance. We reserved a room with view and 2 double beds. When we arrived, the lodge was booked solid and only one room remained. In spite of our reservation, we received a non-view room (facing the main road), with a single queen size bed, a shower stall with unpredictably hot/cold water, and really, really stinky toilet that leaked onto the floor.

I was traveling with my 70 year old mother and two teenagers. This obviously was unsuitable but I had little recourse at the time. The lodge is on the far side of the Olympic National Park and there was nowhere else to go in peak season.

When I returned to the front desk, they insisted that the reservation that was made was exactly what the room they just gave me. The two teenaged employees were dumbfounded by the predicament. They had no other rooms available. One of the young ladies brought me an inflatable mattress. I took the inflatable mattress back to our room and found that it inflated to nearly the size of a twin mattress which, I suppose was just as well since thats all that would fit in the tiny room.

We had no bedding, no pillows for the air mattress. I sent one of my daughters back to the front desk for a third time for bedding. She came back empty handed and said the front desk would "send some up".

At 10:30 at night, we received something like a pillow in a pillowcase and nothing else.

Please note, the payment for a stay at Lake Quinault Lodge, (and the other lodges in the Olympic National Park), is necessarily made in advance. Cancellation within 72 hours of the reservation costs the equivalent of one nights room charge plus tax!

We spent only one night. I called the reservation number while waiting for a flight (all the way back to FL, 3000 miles from Lake Quinault Lodge), at SEA. I spoke to a man by the name of Kyle who put me through to Danielle who said she'd call me back. That was Sunday. Tuesday afternoon, no call from Danielle so I called again. "There is no one here by that name." No Kyle, no Danielle, and, no Danny from whom I received the initial confirmation.

I've spoken to 4 people. Leona, who has no last name, is a Customer Service Supervisor. She read my reservation back to me which confirmed what was confirmed via e-mail. At least they admit there was a mistake. Leona was willing to give me the regular toll number for the Accounting Department at Lake Quinault Lodge so I could request some sort of restitution, (after having already spoken to 4 people over the course of seven days and incurred all the time and expense thus far myself). That just didn't seem right.

So I asked Leona if she wouldn't mind handling it while I wait on hold on a toll free line. 40 minutes later, we've disconnected with a promise that Leona will return my call tomorrow because the "girl [she] needs to talk to will not be in until after 2:00". So I asked for the "girls" name at the Accounting Department at the lodge just in case Leona fails to return the call for some strange reason (like, she disappears to wherever the other three went), and surprise!, I got a first name of someone at the front desk instead. I guess it's a good thing I didn't try to call the Accounting Department, (which would have been the 5th and wrong person and the first of at least two long toll calls).

How was the lodge? Neat! The best part is no phone or TV in the rooms which forces people to commune with nature and each other if they want entertainment. The trails and lodges great room are perfectly suited for just that. The great room is equipped with a giant chess board, the original piano from pre-1921 fire which still works, wonderful fireplace, lots of overstuffed furniture and places to set a drink while enjoying the lake view through the floor to ceiling windows.

I wish more attention were spent on era appropriate furniture in the rooms. Oh, and plumbing that didn't make the room smell like an outhouse.

The restaurant is unnecessarily proud, (overpriced for the quality). However, not too bad and the ambiance makes up for an awful lot!

My daughters had a wonderful time giving piano lessons to the grand daughter of a nuclear physicist from S Africa, playing chess with the Indian neuro-psychiatrists son, and hob-nobbing with lots of other interesting people. Thats part of the charm at Lake Quinault.

Every vacation has some kind of disaster. This was ours. Too bad. And to think how preventable it was at every step - except mine.

One more thing: we also spent time at Kalaloch Lodge. Same park, same reservation service. No troubles at all. In fact, it was wonderful.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank WaywardLass
Reviewed June 23, 2007

We didn't stay here- we just came for dinner and sunset over the lake. As many others have written, the charm, ambience and location are sterling. The problem is when you look too close! In particular, I checked out the pool- and ohmygawd, it looked like a breeding ground for as yet unmnamed creatures....

I was warned that the restaurant had been experiencing staffing problems, but when we were squeezed in for an early dinner after having looked around the property, I felt confident that they could deliver on the level of their good reputation.

Oh, dear! After menus were delivered, we were ignored for twenty minutes, despite the restaurant being near empty, and our menus folded and placed on one another to indicate we were ready to order. Eye contact and gesticulations finally worked, and when the server took our orders, neither of our choices was available. We chose others, asked again for water which finally came, and watched the room fill up with diners.

Then came an interminable wait: I actually went to the kitchen door and peeked inside to see if was inhabited, which it was- they were madly filling orders for a group that had a fixed menu, I presume.

When our salmon entré arrived, it consisted of approximately two healthy mouthfuls of fish (not more than 3-4 ounces), with three small boiled new potatoes and 2 - count them, spears of asparagus, with a nicely reduced coulis. Very tasty, nicely presented, but barely warm, and forty minutes in the coming.

The chicken lacked even the good taste and presentation- any local diner would have done a better job! It consisted of a partial breast, with wing attached. the wing was more than singed; it was actually burned from the broiler, and overall it was dry and boring. Same accompaniements as the salmon.

The salads were miniscule and nothing but the assorted salad greens found in any better market, with an unremarkable vinaigrette.

Dessert was similarly small and mediocre- flan and a tiramisu, but at least done up with some flair.

Bill for two, including one glass of Washington plonk de plonk- WELL over $100.

And another thing- they pulled down the shades to block the setting sun, so our lovely view was for naught.

I suggest to others that they come for a drink, and then call it a day...

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 23, 2007

I'm having difficulty understanding some of the negative reviews concerning Lake Quinault Lodge. We spent two nights in a Lakeside room and have nothing but positives from our experience. Our Lakeside room was very clean, in good repair and had great matress, pillows and bedding. As nice as any major hotel we've stayed at. Despite the addition of the T.V.s little noise could be heard from the adjacent rooms. The lodge has a beautiful back lawn with chairs to soak up the sun (when it gets around to shining). A nice central gathering area inside the lodge centers around a large fireplace. Great place for reading at night or playing games. Several great hikes start at the lodge. One goes along the lake shore line and then loops into the forest and ends up back at the lodge. About a two mile loop trail that is well worth taking. We didn't eat at the lodge restaurant and instead went to the recommended Salmon House restaurant a mile up the road. We had a very good salmon dinner that was reasonably priced with good service. Great views of the lake.
The only negatives from our stay were a very disorganized check out where they couldn't come up with a bill because we booked a package and added an extra night. They said they would take care of it and our bill was mailed to our house without any problems. It would have been nice to have had a small refrigerator in the room and the trees off our deck did block the view of the lake. But we weren't there to sit in our rooms so it really didn't matter much. On this particular trip we also stayed at Sol Duc, Lake Crescent, and Mt. Rainier lodges (plus we have stayed in many other Park lodges throughout the West) and we felt Lake Quinault by far the best "lodge" we have stayed in.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dhen
Reviewed June 15, 2007

The lodge was a great getaway for my 'city slicker' self and friends. Stayed in rooms in the lodge - which I would recommend (very affordable). It was nice having the great room of the lodge to hang with friends, play games, and drink wine on a rainy weekend stay. Rooms are small (no closet in our room), a bit outdated, but seems part of the charm. Recommend room with lake view.

We avoided the lodge restaurant based upon prior experience and reviews. We disovered a great restaurant (and more civilization) in Amanda Park - there is an Internet Cafe restaurant which has great meals at reasonable prices (and very vegetarian friendly options). Also a very short drive - about the same distance as Salmon House Restaurant.

Experience was above average based upon poor prior reviews. Attribute this feedback to those coming from the city with urban expectations. Keep in mind - this is the country and this area seems to be relatively untouched by WA population. Also beware if driving into some hiking trails - very rough, forest-service type roads. Would definitely return!

Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank RoseCityQueen
Reviewed June 14, 2007

We booked two nights in the lodge, because we thought it is a great origin for activities on the Olympic Peninsula.
But after an hour we left this terrible place.
In reality the lodge doesn´t look as nice as on photos...
In fact it seems very ramshackle.
But the worst thing for us was a terrible smell in the whole lodge even in our room (reminding of an old people´s home).
Another bad thing: there is only one "grocery store" near the lodge which was closed during the days we would have spent there.
And the totally overpriced restaurant wasn´t an alternative for us.
So we quit as soon as possible.

• Stayed: June 2007
3  Thank Icebear
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quinault
Hi-Tide Ocean Beach Resort
Rain Forest Resort Village
Ocean Crest Resort
Ocean Crest Resort
#2 of 3 in Moclips

Been to Lake Quinault Lodge? Share your experiences!