“Beautiful Quinault Lodge”

GreenLeadersGold level
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
“Beautiful Quinault Lodge”
Reviewed August 7, 2014

We enjoyed one beautiful night at the Quinault Lodge. The lodge was beautiful, the lake was pristine and the staff was helpful and friendly. We only wish we could have stayed longer. The Olympic Peninsula National park is a true treasure amongst our National parks.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (645)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for two nights in a fireplace room. Definitely worth the splurge! The room was big with its own private patio. Loved the lawn and the lake. We had a bit of a problem, because of how I made the reservation--I added the second night on--- they wanted us to move to another room for the second night. They had not apprised us of this when we checked in, or I would have tried to negotiate. We told them we did not want to move, and they were able to adapt.

Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Seattle
Reviewed August 5, 2014

The lodge has a wonderful giant fireplace in the main room that is perfect for spending a lazy afternoon in relaxing on one of the couches. There are plenty of outdoor activities to keep you busy if the weather is nice, however, the weekend we went was mostly rainy (it is the rainforest after all) so we just hung around and enjoyed all the lodge had to offer. Giant chess board, ping pong, sauna, pool, game room, and sitting by the fire with a book and drink from the bar. We stayed in a Fireplace room that was very clean and contemporary. The lodge itself is stunning in its old world charm, but we enjoyed retiring to a modern room with all the updated features at the end of the day. The room was very spacious with a lovely balcony with adirondack chairs and the view facing the lake was beautiful. The staff were friendly and helpful. Overall I would recommend this as a lovely weekend getaway.

Room Tip: Fireplace room with a view of the lake is the way to go!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We chose a one night stay at the lodge based on the pretty decent reviews and the beautiful scenery. The lake and natural settings were definitely worth the stay, but the rooms are very basic and well worn and the food is average at best. It was pretty expensive for what you got.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank missm0914
Ashby de la Zouch, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Although the receptionists were not very welcoming we were delighted with our experiences at the Lodge. We had a Boathouse room with a view over the lake that was fantastic. Perhaps the food was expensive but it was of a high quality and we could watch the sun go down as we ate! Fabulous location.
We also walked a 5 mile trail that was peaceful and picturesque.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
north saanich
Reviewed August 1, 2014

We stayed in the Lakeside building on the 3rd floor and had a "renovated room". It was very expensive for what it is (almost $300 per night). The bathroom was very very small with no sink. The only sink was in the bedroom area and was set on a small counter. There was a balcony that was big enough for a 2 person bistro set. The room had a nice view of the lakefront but as the lodge is set in the trees, mosquitoes were a bit of an issue and the view would be better if the lower limbs of the trees were pruned. We lucked into unseasonally warm weather but that meant we needed the sliding door open (there is no a/c). The screen slider was damaged and did not slide so we had a bit of a struggle using it. The room had free wifi but it was slow. It was better in the main lodge's great room.

The walk from Lakeside to the main lodge is fine. However, if I stayed again, I think I'd try the boathouse. I liked its main level veranda with seating areas that look out over the lawns. Plus you'd probably be able to have your own snacks/drinks there. At the main lodge deck you can only consume what you purchase. We enjoyed sitting on the main lodge deck/terrace overlooking the lawn and lake and playing cards but I think that for the price paid for our room, we should be able to supply our own drinks/snacks.

About reservations - there is more than one way to reserve so be careful if you need to add/cancel rooms. I found out the hard way that I'd used two different services (NPS and Aramark) so ended up with the most expensive room and least ideal sleeping configuration.
I'd also advised that a member of our party was almost 85 so was a little surprised that we were given a 3rd floor room in a building with no elevators (only a long ramp system). Suggestion for others is to ask about accessibility if it might be a concern.

Food - breakfast was terrible. I am a bit of a seagull and didn't even eat half of my Olson's scramble. Dinner was much better but still nowhere near as good as the Salmon House down the road. We were disappointed that the menu had changed. We had been looking forward to choices that were no longer on the menu and when I just checked the website the menus have still not been updated and that was a month ago.

Good lawn games (ladder ball, horseshoes, bocce) and evenings there was a fire down at the beach. Very nice.

Didn't use indoor pool but it looked fine. If they ever did renos/upgrades an outdoor hottub or two in the gazebo area would be nice.

I think the main lodge outside chimney may have had rodents living in it (near the rainfall meter). I heard squeaking one evening and there seemed to be a lot of droppings at the base of the chimney on the terrace/deck. There were also a lot of carpenter ants in the Lakeside building stairwell and on the terrace/deck of the main lodge. I did not see any in our room.

Generally, the staff were polite but except for one staff member who went out of her way to find us a scrabble game, they generally did not seem to go out of their way to make guests feel special.This trip was a repeat of a trip exactly 40 years ago. Our mother took us then; this time we took her for her 85th birthday. I explained that when I made the reservation and when I checked in, so it was a little disappointing that the birthday was not acknowledged during our stay.

All in all, we are glad we went but it would probably not be our first choice to go again. I'd probably stay at Kalaloch and do a side trip to see the lodge vs stay there.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank adventures4me
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Initial reception very offhand, no elevator so four 70+ guest had to haul their own suitcase up the stairs with no offers of help, parking with no guidance or indication of the room locations. Rooms clean but showing signs of wear. It rained when we got there and rained until we left but it did get 9 feet of rain last year. The one bright spot was the humming birds at the feeders.

Room Tip: Try and get a lakeside view.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quinault
Hi-Tide Ocean Beach Resort
Methow River Lodge & Cabins
Rain Forest Resort Village
Ocean Crest Resort
Ocean Crest Resort
#3 of 3 in Moclips

Been to Lake Quinault Lodge? Share your experiences!