“MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Pullman
Boise, Idaho
“MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT”
Reviewed June 24, 2014

We checked in to this newly Opened Marriott Residence Inn in Pullman, WA. Having stayed at other Residence Inns over the years, we were expecting nothing unusual in our stay.

We entered our room and after about 10 minutes, THE LIGHTS WENT OUT! We opened our front door, and the lights came on only to go out again after another 10 minutes. We called the desk and they had to explain there was a system inside the front door of our room where you had to permanently insert a room key to keep the lights on. Very strange, but WHY didn't they explain that as we checked in? NEVER SEEN THIS KIND OF THING BEFORE, I CAN UNDERSTAND THEY THINK IT WILL SAVE ELECTRICITY. BUT I BELIEVE IT IS DOOMED TO FAIL; FOLKS WILL FIGURE OUT HOW TO CIRCUMVENT IT. WONDER HOW MUCH THEY PAID FOR THAT???

We had to use the rest room and were immediately disappointed to find that the toilet was NOT "comfort height." There is NOTHING like trying to "go" which your knees are in your chest, kind of inhibits the "flow" if you know what I mean. We called the desk to ask for a room with an ADA or high toilet: All toilets in all rooms of this new hotel are this way; no ADA compliant facilities in the entire establishment!!
When you are stuck in this position, you might like to try to pull yourself up using the safety bar. SURPRISE!! THERE ARE NONE!! Having to ask your spouse to help you up every time YOU NEED TO GO, leaves you no privacy!! And you better be sure he's there when you sit; or you'll be there till he's back in your room!!

Got another nasty surprise in the shower. lifted the bathmat only to disturb a VERY LARGE SPIDER; who had woven a web all over the cloth; just about fainted.

Also, there are NO HANDRAILS in the Shower. BEWARE!! THERE IS NO WHERE to grasp if you slip AND FALL!!! I cannot remember the last time I was in a hotel, motel or other place that had NO SAFETY STANDARDS!!!!!
The shower has no curtain; it is one of these modern, elongated stalls, I guess that is supposed to contain the water. SURPRISE!! IT COMES OUT ONDO THE FLOOR BY THE TOILET AND LEAKED OUT OF THE UNIT WHERE IT'S SUPPOSED TO DRAIN!!!! HAD TO USE TWO BATH TOWELS TO MOP UP THE EXESS WATER ALL OVER THE BATHROOM FLOOR!!!!!

Hook on the back of the bathroom door is at approx 78"; much too high for a short person to reach and not easy for someone taller like my husband to reach.

The bedroom had those extra high mattresses on the bed; all rooms have these we were told. To get in bed I had to leap up; to get out I had to jump! Wish there had been a step stool to get in and out of the thing; I was constantly afraid I would fall out in my sleep and break something. This is NOT SAFE FOR ANYONE WITH SMALL CHILDREN. I"LL SAY AGAIN, I HAVE NEVER STAYED IN A PLACE, EVEN ANOTHER RESIDENCE INN LIKE THIS!!!!!!!

The kitchen looked well equipped. HOWEVER, once again, the microwave was TOO high to use!! And several of the cabinets were TOO HIGH for even my husband to reach!!!!!

The living room furniture was very uncomfortable; and not moveable; and not well placed if you had 3 or more people over to watch TV.

Breakfast area in the main residence was spacious but the flow of utensils, to food was a disaster; the foot traffic pattern had people going over their own steps several times to reach everything they needed.

We had asked for a quiet suite. That didn't happen. We were placed at the end of a hall. The hallway lead to steps to the next floor up AND to an EXIT door for the building. We heard footsteps and banging doors at ALL HOURS our entire stay. We were also placed near the highway; which was very noisy as well!!!!!

If you have even a slight disability, NO NOT STAY HERE. If you want a good night's sleep, NO NOT STAY HERE. If you want a cheaper room, NO NOT STAY HERE.

3 Thank Sightseer82
Sara R, General Manager at Residence Inn Pullman, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
I'm very sorry to hear about your experience during your stay at our hotel. We pride ourselves in making sure each guest has a fantastic experience and are disappointed when we have fallen short. Please feel free to call me at your convenience to discuss your stay. Thanks so much for sharing your comments.

Sara L Raquet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Korean first
Yakima, Washington, United States
Reviewed June 24, 2014

My wife and I stayed at a new (open 2 weeks) Residence Inn in Pullman, Washington just off of the Washington State University Campus. It was one of those rare stays where everything was perfect. The room was clean, quiet and well laid out. As with most Residence Inns it had a kitchenette, sitting area and a large bathroom. The bed was comfortable and all linens were new and fresh. The bathroom was large and well stocked with amenities. The Exercise room was above average and included dumbbells, treadmills, and weight lifting unit. The grounds were clean and well landscaped. The location was excellent and my wife and I were able to easily walk to campus and the Football and Baseball fields were very close. The breakfast was very good and included hot foods (eggs, sausage, gravy, etc.). The price was very good as well. Nothing negative to say about his hotel but keep in mind it is brand new. I will definitely stay there again; as a matter of fact it will be my top choice of hotels in the Pullman area at this time.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank RGL1956
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are delighted that your stay with the Residence Inn Pullman was enjoyable.

Bothell, Washington
Reviewed June 24, 2014

I'll admit, the breakfast and general lobby design are very good. My room, unfortunately, was not in so good a shape.
I agree with other posters--you can absolutely hear every bathroom activity of the person above you and the cabinets are laughably high and completely unusable without a ladder. My room had a broken dishwasher which was only capable of making a loud buzzing noise. In fact, it was still full of the dirty dishes of the person using the room before me. I guess housekeeping didn't think to check to see that the dishwasher was actually working when they cleaned the room. Also, the cleaning job was subpar: everything in the room was dusty, there were crumbs all over the cabinets and countertop, and the shower walls had not been cleaned.
The location is great if you are visiting the university--but not much ease. There are not any restaurants nearby, so you'll either have to walk the mile or so to food or catch a cab.

For the price and the brand, I expected much more out of this hotel. Hopefully they will be able to improve.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank ice124
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your stay with us. I am immensely sorry to hear we fell short of providing you with a fantastic experience in many areas within our hotel. I will certianly share your feedback with all our department managers to try and work to correct these issues in the future. If you would like to contact myself directly at the hotel, I would truly appreciate any additional feedback you may have and hope they we can do something that you may consider our hotel as an option in the future.

Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

This hotel opened recently and is in great shape. But that's not all.
The building is really well designed with a very attractive lobby area, bar and breakfast area. There is some great outdoor space and a pool and fitness room and a laundry.
The rooms themselves are exceptionally well designed with lots of space, seating area, kitchen with a stove, great bathroom and storage. Efficient air con. Furnishing are first rate.
Reservations come with a free breakfast which is more than enough. Lots of options,
The staff are superb - I sat down to wait for a friend in the lobby and was asked if I wanted a cup of coffee,
I've stayed in many more expensive hotels but the combination here was superb. I'd stay again and look for other new Residence Inns.
And the design was so good, it's given me ideas for my home.
Brilliant.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank EnglishViv
Sara R, General Manager at Residence Inn Pullman, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to complete our Guest Satisfaction Survey. We are delighted that your stay with the Residence Inn Pullman was enjoyable.

Buckley, Washington
Reviewed June 4, 2014

After a day of moving my daughter to a new place for her next year at WSU, this place was a breath of fresh air. The bar in the lobby is genius for tired, stressed travelers. The staff welcomed us with a friendly, efficient attitude, and our room was wonderful. We were able to relax after a rough day and slept great in our room on the second floor along the back of the building. We enjoyed the complementary breakfast the next day as well, especially the potatoes with onions and peppers.

We made the reservation the same day we arrived, and the rate was reasonable because it was not an event weekend and most students had gone home for the summer. I would love to stay here for an event weekend, but I can't see myself paying the much higher rates for those stays, especially since you have to pay in full in advance. Otherwise, I would jump at the chance to stay here again. Loved the layout of our room with TV viewing area and kitchen.

Room Tip: Ask for a room along the back of the hotel, but not on the first floor.
7 Thank scoop25

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed May 26, 2014

I recently stayed two evenings at this property. It is new--about a month old I'd guess. The location is great if you are doing something at WSU. I was there on the weekend so I could not speak with a manager but I will be following up as there are some issues this hotel must address.

1. TV The television wouldn't work at all. Wouldn't even power on. The kid working the desk said "oh yeah I can come reprogram the channels" but I was leaving and didn't want him in my room.

2. Attitude of Staff: Maybe it was because it was the weekend, but the staff present were all very young college kids who need a step up in customer service training. Twice I walked in and he was sitting on the counter behind the desk, swinging his feet.

3. Cleanliness: Bathroom floor was dirty and didn't appear to have been cleaned well since it was open. It had greasy spots on it. There was dirt and hairs in the corner by the shower.

4. Shower Drain: This is a mess! These contemporary rooms have a stainless steel plate that covers the shower drain. It is intended to be lifted up by housekeeping and cleaned. However, my first morning I noticed the shower backing up. I was in a hurry and just finished up. The second morning it seemed worse and I wasn't finished. So, I decided to fix it myself. I lifted up the stainless steel rectangular drain cover and was disgusted! The whole area under it was full of long hair, paper, and other gunk that had the drain occluded. It had not once been cleaned so all of that nasty stuff was backing up into the shower. Can we say Gross???? I got a towel and cleaned it out and fixed the drain. HOTEL: IF YOU ARE LISTENING, YOU NEED TO TRAIN YOUR HOUSEKEEPERS TO DO THIS. Totally disgusting if you do not.

Room layout and design: I love the design and layout of this new model of residence inn. Functional, trendy, and efficient.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank okie74012
Sara R, General Manager at Residence Inn Pullman, responded to this review, June 2, 2014

Boise, Idaho
Reviewed May 19, 2014

This is a newly opened property and it is conveniently located within a mile or so of Beasely Coliseum on the WSU Campus. It has standard Residence Inn features. We stayed in room 100 and I will confine my comments to that room and that side of the hotel:
1 the shower leaked at a joint by the wall junction. Response was quick,, but the problem remained when we left. Causes a safety hazard as it pools on the floor.
2. toilets are very low to the floor. No handrails to assist, otherwise clean and functional
3. The bathroom door is about 7' tall. The hook for your bathrobe is about 6'8" off the floor. Shorter people cannot reach it. Reported to maintenace.
4.Room Insulation seems to be one of the main missing features. We could hear every splash of water in the room above us.
5. Highway sounds come right throught the windows and wall in room 100. it faces the road, which is about 200' away. Had to use ear plugs. For a $300 room this should not be necessary.
6. Functionality is missing. the kitchen is about 12' tall. Kitchen cabinet shelves are useless above roughly 6'6". The celing height and cabinet height are impressive but not terribly useful.
7. The sofas seem more for show than to be sat upon. Hard and uncomfortable.
8. the TV channel guide placard had no resemblance to the stations being shown. A person from the front desk responded quickly and checked other rooms. She reported the problem was 'universal'. OK, this is a start up problem, sort of. as they say in Project Management 101: "The Devil is in the Details"
Our experiences with Residence Inns has been good, up to now. We have had pleasant stays in Denver, Colorado Springs and Boise ID. This Inn has some missing features. On the plus side, the staff is responsive and the property adds needed hotel rooms to the area. It is expected that many oft the issues are "punch list" as the property opens. The lack of insulation/soundproofing seems to be more than that.

Room Tip: Backside rooms may be quieter, upper floors likely to have no drain noise.
7 Thank SunnyJim43

Sara L Raquet
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pullman
Quality Inn Paradise Creek
Hilltop Inn
Hilltop Inn
#3 of 6 in Pullman
Best Western Plus University Inn
No photo provided
La Quinta Inn & Suites Moscow Pullman
Fairfield Inn & Suites Moscow

Been to Residence Inn Pullman? Share your experiences!