“Nice people”

Dining options: Reservations
Clarkston, Washington
“Nice people”
Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our time here. They were training a guy and we were well taken care of. We enjoyed some great drinks and some bite size.

Irvine, California
“Where the locals go”
Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

Aside from being a local hot spot, it's also where all the WSU alumni go for some good grub. The hostess was friendly, sweet and made you feel very welcomed and the server was well versed on the specials of the day and was just as nice as the hostess. This is a good place to have a local feel and mingle with the WSU alumni. The salmon salad was yummy, the chicken and dumplings was a little on the sour side, the Lobster Mac and Cheese was good. Just ask your server what's their favorite dish and order it, they like it for a reason and so would you.

College
“Steak night”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

A new pop up from my university days across the state line in Moscow. Went back to visit some friends, and they suggested steaks. Well I like steak.

And the steak is really good. The drinks are snappy and fresh, the servers generally nice and on top of things, and the cozy...birch.... decor matched the dreary day well. No doubt it is a good place for gameday.

Yes, the doors on the bathrooms are birch too. Details, folks.

• Visited July 2014
“New Favorite Drink - "Moscow Mule"”
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

Great place!! Terrific atmosphere, best meal of my trip and found my new favorite drink. Make sure you have a Moscow Mule, comes in Cooper mug. Really Good!!

Visited July 2014
Seattle
“Better pubgrub than in most of Pullman”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

First off, it is rather amazing that a college town where the students outnumber the local population by 2 1/2:1 doesn't have more local hangouts. I'm not certain that Birch & Barley is a local operation, since there is an outpost of the same name in Washington DC. But this location, which has changed names and owners over the past several decades, is close to both the Washington State University campus and to the hotels where mom and pop stay when visiting their tax deductions.

That dynamic makes for a fascinating mix of customers. Me and the man-half were mid-point in an interminably long drive from McCall, Idaho to Seattle, and desperate for dining that didn't involve a drive-through. There didn't seem to be a heckuva lot of options that didn't involve aforementioned fast food, but we were intrigued by the reader board for Birch & Barley: "Beer is made from hops. Hops are plants. Beer is salad." Well, with that attitude, we figured we were in the right place.

It was a nice enough day, for Pullman on Memorial Day. Not blazing hot, slight overcast, subtle wind. So we sat outside on the patio. Nice view of the street and parking lot and all. Actually, the downside of Birch & Bay is that the inside is all dark wood, which might be comfortable and soothing in the bone-cold winters, but not so much on a relatively nice afternoon. We were very intrigued by the slices of lemon studded with cloves on the outside tables. Turns out that is a wasp repellent. It worked. Duly noted.

Service was surprisingly prompt. Not sure why I'm so surprised, but maybe I expected that a place staffed with what seemed to be under grads in the restaurant side and grad students in the bar side would not be as attentive as they were. Then again, maybe they were trying to vigorously earn big tips, given the ludicrous student loan debt that follows these young people into their 40s. But I digress.

Pints of water in Mason jars appeared rapidly, along with menus. We were immediately informed that Happy Hour prices were in effect (3 pm to 6 pm in the bar, even on the patio), which meant that a good deal of the food menu was half-price. Zowie. We aren't talking about half price off a smaller portion, as are so many Happy Hour specials. This was half off entrees. I think beer and wine were also lower price by a dollar or so, but I was so blown over by the food special I don't recall.

To the beer: it might take half the day to discuss how many there were, but Happy Hour would be over by then. Let's just say that there are a lot of micro brews on tap. Local ones to boot.

Ok, since we were going to be paying just half price, we had to over order. So we started out with Buffalo Wing Bites, normally $7.95. These were divine. No bones about it. The wing sauce was zippy but not enough to destroy your taste buds. Did require several gulps of beer. As always, celery and carrot sticks came in handy. Our next course was perfectly well-timed by our server (did I mention how much the service surprised me?), and we immediately determined that take home boxes would be needed. I'd ordered the Catfish Po'Boy, which came on a grilled hoagie, or you could go with an optional wrap format. The presentation was ginormous, but the catfish was almost lost in that giant bun. I'd recommend trying the wrap. But the creole remoulade and Vandal Pepper Sauce (the Vandals are rival to WSU Cougars) were divine. Man-half had the Prime Rib Dip, of which half went home with us. We left a ton of excellent fries on the plates. There are a couple of options on how you want your fries (i.e. Cajun).

All told, tip included, the total for two, including beer and an appetizer, was a mere $33.00.

I could do this again.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank FeistyBrain

Been to Birch & Barley? Share your experiences!