“not the best entrance outside of business hours, but nice!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Prosser
Inn at Desert Wind Winery
Ranked #1 of 3 Prosser B&B and Inns
Redmond, Washington
“not the best entrance outside of business hours, but nice!”
Reviewed December 21, 2011

Alright, I need to add my experience here - I understand that the booking process is an important aspect of anywhere you stay, but I think the overall 2-star review for the accomodations here is unwarranted.

I booked a last-minute stay at Desert Wind last week after an opening came up (another person cancelled). I called around to a few B&B's and other places in the area but thought that this place looked cool enough that I requested to be waitlisted. They gave me a call to let me know that a room opened up, and I'm glad we stayed!

There are only 4 rooms here. They're all very new (as is the winery, it seems) and in great condition. I stayed in the Jean Baptiste room: super comfortable king bed, flat screen wall-mounted TV, a nice balcony (unfortunately looking out over the highway in our case, but better than nothing) and a beautiful bathroom. Large mini fridge, gas fireplace and tastefully decorated, which is more than I can say for most of the B&B's in the area - they all redmind me a little bit too much of my grandmother's house. The bathroom here was really great - nice big shower with floor-to-ceiling glass. The showerhead kind of sucked, though. And it was always super, super cold with the A/C on full blast even though I'd turned the heat on.

Rooms come with breakfast every morning, and a free bottle of wine when you arrive. We'd had a lot of wine already once we checked in, so we just took the bottle with us. The breakfast was just ok - there were some standouts (amazing peach scone with peach glaze, great cheeses and fruit paste with a small baguette) but some duds as well (boring fruit selection, grocery store granola, costco pastry). The coffee in the room is Gevalia, which was pretty bad. There's some kind of little t-cup brewing system that was really strange.

the mini-bar snacks were actually pretty reasonably priced: they had Fran's dark chocolate gold bar bites for $1.50, which is pretty much what you'd get one for at the grocery store. And free bottled water - cool!

A note on their late check-in procedure: first they tried to send late check-in instructions to the wrong email address (the people who cancelled their stay, I think?), then they got my email address wrong. Finally the day we arrived I called them and they quickly sent the instructions to the correct email address. You arrive and walk up a set of outside stairs and punch in a code to get a key that opens the door. Then you put it back, I guess? (Sorry that's so vague - my husband did that part!)

When you get inside, your room is just open, which is a little weird, and your key is inside. I'm sure it's all a lot more normal if you arrive during business hours (10-5?) but we had an all-day event we were attending, and that wasn't possible for us. The outside stairs are well-lit, but there are SPIDERS EVERYWHERE and there's lot of highway noise - it isn't the most pleasant way to come and go, for sure.

I think this is great, but other people might be put off by it: this seems like a really antisocial setup, so if you're used to friendly B&B's, staying here might come as a bit of a shock. We made our reservations, showed up, punched in a number to get in, got to our room, stayed, had a very nice woman deliver breakfast in the morning, and just left our keys when we checked out. Hardly any human contact at all. It's probably great for the owners (less hassle dealing with guests) but it kind of felt like a computer was running things! I'm actually OK with this, but again - you might not like it as much as me :)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank stefohnee

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed November 4, 2011

We spent one night at the Desert Wind Winery Inn which was more than enough. We slept poorly as our room was cold and the auto fan very noisy. The noise was so loud we could not hear the TV. The remote would not adjust for volume or mute. The door to the balcony would not shut properly. There was no one on site to address these problems nor was there a phone number to call for assistance. After reporting these problems upon checking out the next morning ( we had to wait until 10 AM for someone to arrive) we were told there was still no one available to speak with about the room. The next day we received a call. We were told the thermostats are remotely controlled and cannot be adjusted individually; there has never been a problem with the door; a separate remote is needed for the TV volume control; there is a number to call for assistance on the nightstand (we looked for one but found only a note saying don't touch the TV. The bed was comfortable and the breakfast very nice. We were given a 10% discount for our displeasure.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Maggie Z
Fountain Hills, Arizona
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We spent just one night at Desert Wind Winery and I loved it there. It was a lovely antidote to chain hotels and had Southwest décor, which I’m partial to. There are just four rooms at this winery in Eastern WA. At least three of them are on the second floor, up a flight of stairs (no elevator), and the winery closes at 5:00pm, so you get a key to let yourself back in a side door after 5:00pm.

The Charbonneau Room was quite comfortable – upscale bathroom fixtures, spacious, and with a large balcony overlooking the back courtyard and the Yakima River. The sink is in a separate area from the shower and toilet, which is always appreciated, and there’s a mini-bar and very plush bathrobes. It’s situated right next to Horse Heaven Hills and the room décor reflected the wild horse theme. The highway is nearby too but I wasn’t bothered by the faint background noise from it.

Booking a room includes a free sampling of five different wines in their tasting room, a bottle of wine, and continental breakfast brought up to your room in the morning as well. We enjoyed our breakfast out on the balcony in the sun, which was just lovely. It was especially yummy for a “continental” breakfast, with a marvelous coffeecake muffin and all kinds of fresh fruits, yogurt, granola, and orange juice. I hope to return soon.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SuzanneJane
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed June 4, 2011

We spent a long weekend at Desert Wind, and I would highly recommend it for anyone visiting the Yakima Valley. There are only 4 rooms here, each slightly different, but all are very spacious and nicely decorated in desert SW style. The bed was super comfortable, with a down mattress pad and duvet (and very tall - I almost needed a step stool to climb in!). The welcome package included a bottle of wine, a carafe of port and a couple chocolate squares. And breakfast was delivered to the room each morning, including fresh fruit, orange juice, granola, milk, warm pastries, a mini baguette and cheese. There's a fridge and coffeemaker in the room also (but the coffeemaker only works with a coffee pod inserted - if you want hot water for tea you're out of luck.) And they provide some very cozy, soft chenille robes. Since this is a winery, not a hotel, there is no staff around in the evenings and you enter/exit through a side entrance at the top of a long flight of metal stairs once the tasting room is closed. There is a restaurant downstairs that's open for lunch only, good food.

We did have one problem with our room, the heat would not come on and the fan blowing cold air would not turn off - not great when the weather was unfortunately cold at night. The fireplace helped, and the bed was warm, but it was annoying. We mentioned it Sunday morning but it wasn't repaired when we returned that evening, probably too much to hope for on a Sunday during a holiday weekend. The person who handled our checkout the next morning said she hoped the office would be able to do something for us...and indeed, we were pleasantly surprised when we received an email with the final charge (since registers weren't open yet when we left) with a 25% discount, and a note apologizing for the situation. Based on that, we would not hesitate to return or recommend it to others.

If you're wondering which room to pick, note that three of them overlook the courtyard downstairs and the river (Sacagawea is the first, and the balcony is slightly separated so more private; then Charbonneau and Lewis & Clark on the end, with adjoining balconies separated by a wall.) Jean Baptiste is around the corner and its balcony faces more directly toward the highway and the river, I think not quite as nice a view.

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Seattle98101
Chicago
Reviewed May 10, 2011

Stayed two nights while we visited the wine country of Yakima Valley, etc. Beautiful rooms with balconies overlooking the Yakima River. Great breakfast served in your room. However, there is nothing else around. Very limited dining options as the Inn only serves lunch, and then only on weekends. Also after 5pm they make you enter and exit through the back alley as no one is around -- not very nice considering you are paying around $300 a night. Also it would be nice if they had a channel guild for the TV, and the phone didn't work to call my friends room (but we had cell phones). Also, someone tried to get in my room after 5pm (after Inn staff is gone) - I think it was the people staying in the room next to mine who were confused - but not sure.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank WindyCityTripper
Helena, MT
Reviewed February 1, 2011

We found the Desert Wind on the internet and were more than pleased with the accommodations. We were welcomed at Check-in and given a tour of the facility and our room with instructions on how to access the private entrance after hours. Even had a wine tasting!
The bed was very comfortable with superior linens. The suite was clean, roomy, tastefully decorated, with a great fireplace. Complimentary wine each evening and a European type breakfast delivered to our room in the AM was the perfect touch.
We ate a delicious lunch at the winery and again had friendly service.
Friendly, helpful staff with excellent attention to our needs.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Twodot11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Prosser
Best Western Plus The Inn At Horse Heaven
Best Western Plus Grapevine Inn
Homewood Suites by Hilton Richland
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#4 of 4 in Sunnyside
Red Lion Hotel Richland Hanford House
Hampton Inn Richland / Tri-Cities

Been to Inn at Desert Wind Winery? Share your experiences!