“Very poor diner.”

Ranked #21 of 91 Restaurants in Poulsbo
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 25, 2012

My husband decided to take me out for a nice dinner last minute. He called Molly Ward's and asked if we could get a reservation. They said yes and we were 15 minutes late, then
be greeted by a 7:00 huh? This comment was meant to let us know we were late and shame on us! I didn't want to even eat there after that. Anyway, long story short our story was like "sunshine's review". The dreaded "Crab Tower" with the can-like crab "they say" is fresh but he later told us it is prepared, with out enough Aoli sauce to take care of the third bite! Then it was just crab with cartiledge/shells in it, ugh! I ordered the Rack of Lamb and it was so tough I could hardly cut it. (42.00!) The salad was a kitchen sink combo with fruts , veggies, cheese, nuts way too big for a starter dinner salad. Strange salad! Then there was my burnt decaf never refilled. I called later to let them know our dinner was bad because it would of been awkward at the time because of the attitude we recieved and the place is so small. .One feels uncomfortable to say anything and the man on the phone just said sorry you didn't enjoy your time with us in a very defensive tone. We won't go back, dah!

2  Thank Randy C

Reviewed April 25, 2012

Charming. Situated in old home furnished with vintage pieces. Surrounded by herbs and flowers. It is a few miles outside Poulsbo, but well worth the drive. Menus are usually based around seasonal and locally available foods. Attractive to the taste and the eyes. Intimate dining area. Reservations highly recommended.

Reviewed December 18, 2011

Wonderful atmosphere, great service and they use real food! The menu is always changing depending on what's in season and everything we've tried has been amazing. The salads here are the best I've ever had in my life and the desserts, oh man, just thinking about them makes my mouth water. Good coffee too. Prices are very reasonable considering the quality of the food. Plus the soup or salad you get before the meal is almost a meal itself. Definitely recommend calling first to make a reservation.

1  Thank paper_monkE
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Our experience wasn't at all as good as the other reviews but we sure wish it had been. It was even to the point that over a month ago I wrote them a letter, with no response. Keep in mind that my critique is as picky as it is because of their undeservingly, extremely high prices (min $30 up to $43 JUST for soup or salad plus an entree). If they were priced between $18-$27, then I wouldn't have so much to say. Here is the letter, which doesn't even mention someone else's lip print on my water glass:
Dear Sam and Lynn Ward, August 31, 2011
We received a very generous gift certificate to your establishment; after seeing your website and reading Trip Advisor reviews, we were of course very excited to try it for our first wedding anniversary. Unfortunately I am writing to inform you of our severe disappointment in not only the service but more importantly, the lack of quality of the food we received. I am an avid review-writer on Trip Advisor which also posts to my Facebook page. But this experience has been bothering us to a point of needing to write you directly about it in hopes you can take our experience to heart and consider improvements for your future patrons.
Perhaps it was just a fluke that our service and food were both lack luster, or perhaps we are the only ones who are determined to stand by our expectations and not look the other way when we get much less. I’ll begin with our entrance. We weren’t even greeted at the door – we were called to from across the room by an older gentleman asking if we had a reservation. The seating was nice, the atmosphere lovely, eclectic and romantic. The next thing we hear is a very loud KAK-KAK-KAK-KAK across the wood floor which was the easel menu. We (and the couple next to us) actually chuckled that this was how you presented your fine dining. Do you not have a computer that someone can use each morning to print out a single page, very simple paper menu to hand out? Each time new patrons came in and were seated, everyone who was trying to have a conversation was interrupted with KAK-KAK-KAK-KAK. The man set it at our table side then only suggested that we ask if we had any questions and left. No recommendations? No descriptions? Was he really just too busy to take 90 seconds to be personable and talk to us about it?
The soup (assorted vegetables with ham) was only okay, but it lacked flavor – even just a touch of salt would have helped. The younger server didn’t even know what was in the soup. My salad was great and I particularly enjoyed the large piece of bleu cheese and cantaloupe. However I suggest you ask your chef to give you a plate with whole grapes on it and tell me how many whole grapes you are able to put onto your fork without having to use your hands. My count on that was zero. I shouldn’t have to use my hands to eat anything in a salad. For a meal with an average asking price of $35, I would expect the chef to take 10 seconds to cut the grapes in half so I can at least consume them gracefully. I asked the older server if our entrees had been fired yet so we would have time to enjoy our soup and salad. Not only were they already fired before we were half done with our appetizers, he attempted to take them away when he came over with the entrees. And speaking of the fact that we shouldn’t have to use our hands…
My husband had the “Crab Tower.” It seems to us that this “Tower” was simply a small store-bought container of lump crab that was turned over onto the plate to retain its tower-like shape then drizzled with an Aioli. We had to use our fingers to take out the several pieces of cartilage from our mouths. That was absolutely absurd and embarrassing for us to have to do that. You charged over $30 for that plate and the chef can’t pick through the crab carefully first to take out the cartilage? That was unacceptable.
I had the Halibut but again, due to lack of flavor and any seasoning at all, I question whether that’s even what it was. I feel sorry for the fish that gave its life; exceptional food needs respect from a chef. It was so overcooked I couldn’t even eat it. Both of our side dishes of potatoes were al dente and my green beans were RAW. I ate a few bites of my meal and that was it. If we were seated in an area a little more private we would have spoken to the server about it and asked him to take it back and remove it from our bill. But we were seated so close to other couples that out of consideration we didn’t want to ruin the atmosphere for them. So I remained courteous and asked the young server to pack it up to go. As soon as I got home it went in the trash.
Normally we would give an establishment a second chance for redemption but with your entrees being undeservingly between $30 and $43, we are not going to risk being so disappointed again. We very much enjoyed the stroll through your lovely gardens. We only wish that the rest of the experience contributed positively to our anniversary celebration. ***end
There are so many other great restaurants in Poulsbo. If it's the garden you fancy, go for a drink & a stroll, skip the disappointing food.

3  Thank SUNSHINE98312
Reviewed September 23, 2011

My sister lives on the Kitsap Peninsula where she heard from her hairdresser about this gem tucked away in the woods. I took the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry and was delighted to discover this restaurant so near, along a picturesque valley near Poulsbo. Set in an old house, I felt like I was in Old England as I ordered from the rolling chalkboard menu. The entire house is decorated in a vintage theme and the food even more fabulous. I ordered the Dungeness Crab Tower and was so overwhelmed with the amount, I had to share it. (something I never do with crab). My sister ordered the pork tenderloin, my brother the marsala after we enjoyed an amazing lettuce/fruit salad. Included in our dinner was the tastiest dessert I've had in years. My tiramisu was better than any I've had in Italy. I enjoyed my time there so much, I took my parents the following week for lunch and had a delightful time in the garden dining area. The best crab omelette was on my plate of course.