“Rude, grumpy owner!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Manor Farm Inn

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Poulsbo
Manor Farm Inn
Ranked #5 of 7 Poulsbo B&B and Inns
Seattle
“Rude, grumpy owner!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2009

We never even made it here! We had purchased a gift certificate from the previous owner, who said we could use it any time in our lifetime. (I was not aware that there was new ownership; we had not been contacted by the previous owner to notify us of the change.) I misplaced it a couple of times, and by the time I finally called, I had the misfortune of meeting the new owner. I had to call 3 times to get a return call. I was honest about misplacing the gift certificate on one of my messages. When she finally called back, she was literally yelling at me the moment I answered the phone! A simple, "Gosh, sorry, can't accept it" really would have sufficed. I had to laugh when I read the site and saw something about "friendly". She is one of the rudest people I have ever met. Too bad to have wasted the gift certificate, but she certainly isn't the kind of person I need to meet.

• Disliked — The owner!
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
7 Thank SeattleLizzyTravels

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
hawaii & washington,
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2008

The place is nice, but shows a little age & use. We were enchanted by the gardens and the overall look and feel of the place. The decor was charming. I loved the fact that there was no TV in the room (we stayed in the Loft). Lots of animals to see and nice little touches all over the grounds to make you smile. The innkeeper was very accommodating, and while I can definitely understand what all the negative reviews are talking about with regard to her treatment, I also happened to get on with her quite well. To enjoy your stay go in with no expectations to be pampered or flattered. She's very no-nonsense.

There are no refrigerators in the units and you have no access to the kitchen, so if you plan on staying on the grounds all day, have small children or don't like eating out, bring a cooler with ice (the ice machine is a tiny one and the water is non-potable)
The Loft is a cute suite and the beds are comfortable, but I was frustrated by the fact that the closet door can't be opened all the way because the bed is too big! There were maybe 2 hangers and no where to unpack my clothes. I hate living out of my suitcase, I always unpack everything as soon as I arrive, but the furniture didn't allow for this. There is a deck of sorts but no attention is paid to it in regards to comfort or cleanliness. A nice place to put your garbage bags though. They do have wireless internet though and nothing beats the sound of the wind through the row of towering trees all day. Very pleasant.

I would recommend this place if you want a quiet retreat to just read or meditate. I would love to go back with a cooler full of food, an I-pod full of music and a suitcase full of good books (and a couple of hangers).

Stayed July 2008
4 Thank concecrated
Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2008

After reading the other reviews, we feel we need to comment. We categorically disagree with the negative reviews. On a site like this, it is sad that people are quick to criticize but slow to praise. The Manor Farm Inn guestbook is filled with praise from many people, like us, who have been returning year after year to this one-of-a-kind lovely place. We have been going to Manor Farm Inn for romantic get aways for over 10 years. It is one of our favorite bed and breakfasts of the many we have visited around the world. We particularly love the solitude in this peaceful, pastoral setting. Visitors should realize that this is a working farm converted to a bed and breakfast. There are 5 guest/sleeping rooms, a drawing room, 2 dining rooms and a kitchen surrounded by a barn, out buildings and pastures. The inn keeper does not live on site but is 5 minutes away. Whether we have arrived on time or late, there are always arrangements to get the key and a phone link to her home. The rooms are comfortable, simply decorated in a French Country style and cozy. Typically, we arrive in the afternoon greeted by the inn keeper, Janet, who updates us on any new restaurants and offers to make reservations and provide driving instructions. This last visit, we went to the Mor Mor Restaurant right in Poulsbo. It was very busy with a high school dance and a father-daughter dance both that night. After a brief wait in the bar (with an excellent wine recommendation from the bartender), they found us a table, were very attentive and served us an excellent meal (my Oscco Bucco was well prepared and my husband's beef medallions were perfectly cooked). To top it off, the hostess must have tipped of the waiter that it was our anniversary and they gave us small box of home made truffles to go! Returning to the inn, we settled in the drawing room to watch a heart warming movie reommended by Janet. As always, there were fresh baked cookies, tea and sherry set out and a fire laid in the fireplace. After retiring to our room, we read by a crackling fire. The next morning, we woke up to the distant sounds of farm animals waking as well. And soon, orange juice, warm scones, and raspberry jam were delivered to our door. Bliss! After an ample and always delicious country breakfast, and a nice chat with Janet , we happily went on our way to enjoy browsing through the quaint town of Poulsbo. If you want a quiet romantic get away and wonderful pampering, we recommend Manor Farm Inn whole heartedly!

• Liked — Pastoral, romantic setting
  • Disliked — No on-site evening dining.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Hillsboro, OR
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2006

My stay at the Manor Farm Inn certainly was strange! A friend of mine came to visit from out of state and we thought it would be fun to have a girl's night at a b&b. The pictures online don't do the scenery justice, it's really quite beautiful out in the boonies! However, the rooms were cold and dank, we had the heat on in August. The person who greeted us on arrival was, I believe, the innkeeper who I had spoken with to book the reservation. She was quite curt and I should have known then that something was amiss!

We did sleep soundly that night, but the breakfast experience was horrid! The food was passable (the scones in particular were quite good). However, breakfast took an hour and a half and there was only 1 other party eating with us! The amount of food is staggering; Course 1 - Scones, juice & coffee. Course 2 - A huge bowl of fresh fruit. Course 3 - Two entire cups of oatmeal! Course 4 - Either a quiche or one strip of bacon, a greasy sausage and scrambled eggs. My friend and I were full after the scones and fruit. When I didn't finish my oatmeal, the innkeeper asked, "What's wrong with the oatmeal?" To which I replied, "Oh, I'm just very full!". We ate little of the eggs and bacon and decided to leave. We unable check out, however, because you are not allowed to check out until 11am! The innkeeper was visibly upset that we asked to leave earlier than she planned for.

We walked the grounds for 45 minutes waiting for our bill. When we came to pay the bill the innkeeper confronted us in the kitchen and was very angry that we didn't eat the entire meal. She asked, "What should I do with people like you who don't eat?" We suggested having a menu. She was very angry and said that it was very wasteful to have to throw out food, but that her dog enjoyed it. She listed off all of the items that we hadn't finished. She asked if we would have preferred French Toast and my friend said, "Oh, Yes!" (in an attempt to be pleasant and to leave as soon as possible). The innkeeper said, "Well, you can thank me for saving you the calories!!!". She was very confrontational and difficult to deal with. Not an experience one hopes to have on vacation! I've worked in customer service for many years have never treated any customer in such a distasteful manner.

• Liked — The scenery
  • Disliked — The staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid this hotel.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank iris6180
Lynnwood, WA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2006

We stayed at the Manor Farm Inn based upon the reviews here and in a book of Northwest B&B's. Given the positive reviews, and our own lofty expectations (our favorite B&B in Washington is Run of the River), we were disapointed with our stay. Our experience started out on the wrong foot, and while aspects of our stay were enjoyable, we kept finding enough negative things about the place to temper our enthusiasm.

We arrived at 2:30 (check-in starts at 2pm) to find an empty inn. It was so empty and silent it felt a little creepy. After wandering around the grounds for about 10 minutes, we encountered a handyman, who ignored us except to tell us the name of the huge friendly dog on the porch. A few minutes after that, one of the inn's keepers came by, but were greeted by a curt "Can I help you?", which felt more like "What are you doing here? This is an inn for guests!"

She informed us the head innkeeper was offsite, and that she had the room keys, so we couldn't get checked in. OK, so we headed into town for a walk around and a late lunch, and when we came back a couple of hours later found our key in an envelope (with an apologetic message) taped to our door.

We had booked the Carraige Room, which sounded and looked great on the website, but which was underwhelming in person. The room itself is large and airy, with large beams and trusses exposed under a cathedral ceiling. We found the decorations and furnishings to be rather shabby, however, and the bathroom completely uninspiring. Among the magazines on the coffee table was an old IKEA catalog, and I found an electrical outlet cover and screw in the top drawer of a chairside table.

The room has a ton of potential, though, but it failed miserably to inpsire us in any romantic or even rustic way. When we asked if there were any other rooms available, we received a puzzled look and the comment, "Well that's odd, everybody else seems to love that room." We ended up moving to the Loft, which we found more to our liking, and because it was only available on our first night, moved to the Tack Room for our second night, which we also liked better than the Carraige Room.

A nice touch in every room is a guest comment book, although we found more than a couple interesting entries which related too much detail of the previous guest's romantic escapades. Read with an open mind, especially the one about the man and his three wives!

The breakfast scones which arrived on our doorstep each morning were delicious, although we were served orange juice instead of the tea we (thought) had ordered. Breakfast is three courses, starting with a fruit plate, then porridge, followed by an egg dish and either pancakes or waffles. There were slight variations in each of these courses over the two days, but we were left with the feeling that breakfast is pretty much a one-trick pony. While excellently prepared, there wasn't much variation.

Our disappointment with breakfast was the length. After sitting, and between each course, expect 10-20 minute delays. What should have been 30 minutes of relaxed conversation over good food turned into 70 minutes of boredom. We learned our lesson the second morning and came prepared with reading material and other things to keep us busy.

We might have accepted these delays had the innkeeper had a full house to cook for, but there was only one other couple with us the first day, and two the second. It boggled us what could be taking so long for each course to come out of the kitchen. We've stayed at B&B's where two people regularly cook a huge five-course country-style breakfast for six couples, all in 45 minutes without feeling rushed or having to wait more than a few minutes for the next plate to arrive.

We did enjoy the Drawing Room, a community living area with fireplace, TV/VCR, a small fridge with sodas, a plate of cookies with coffee, and a cupboard full of games and puzzles. Our second night we brought back a pizza from town, lit a fire, put on South Pacific, and played Scrabble and Trionimoes for a couple of hours. This was easily our best experience of our stay.

The innkeeper got off to a bad start with us, and never recovered. During each of our two breakfasts, we overheard her scolding a helper in a tone we wouldn't use with our own child. Had we started off on better footing, and in a room we didn't find so bland, our overall experience would have been more enjoyable, but after that bad beginning, all of the little missed details and inconveniences just started becoming more and more obvious, and overshadowed the well-done aspects of our stay. A few more of these include:

- During breakfast on our second day, there was a large, hairy, sweaty handyman working immediately outside the dining room in the garden beds and adjacent walkway, making a moderate amount of noise with various tools. Later that day, we saw him in one of the fields whacking weeds. Why couldn't he have done the whacking first thing in the morning and saved the work near the dining room for a time when guests weren't three feet away? A good inneekper would have caught that.

- After we had checked in, I was exploring the Drawing Room to see what games were available, and as I was browsing through the cupboards, the innkeeper came in and asked, "Can I help you?" in the same unfriendly manner used on me before. She shortly informed me that I needed to kept the door to the Drawing Room closed to keep out the flies and left. I was left with the feeling that I was intruding on her inn, and not a welcomed guest.

Needless to stay, we will be staying elsewhere during our next visit to Poulsbo.

• Stayed July 2006
5 Thank dunadan
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2005

We stayed at Manor Farm Inn in Jan. of 2005. The most surprising about it was when we arrived, the owner had gone home (off site) to her home and left the keys for us to let ourselves in. The room was very cold and damp, until we lit the fireplace and forced ourselves to relax and enjoy the scenery and the peace and quiet. There is an emergency phone on site, but only way to contact anyone in case of emergency. I guess never staying in a B&B we didn't realize that there would be no one on site to ask ????'s and visit with. The breakfasts were very nice, but you need to have plenty of time to allow for a 1-2 hours breakfast. Dinners and lunches were not avail. It's a beautiful place, and the owner and helper were very nice, just wish they had been on site. I think maybe someone is more avail. in spring and summer time, but prices were wonderful for the winter months, only $125.00 per night. We are city folks coming to the country and it was a shock to have no t.v. or phone in room but once relaxed, we forced ourselves to enjoy.

• Stayed January 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2004

We spent a wonderful week in June at the Manor Farm Inn. This is truly a story book inn. We didn't have a car so we were essentially stuck there. This ended up being to our advantage. The location became simply relaxing and wonderful. We enjoyed the dinner at the Inn's restaurant, a wonderful breakfast. Our room, the pig room had a fireplace, and we spent great mornings sleeping in.

The owner was absolutely fabulous. She invited us to enjoy the kitchen when we wanted to. It seemed like more of a home than a B&B or Inn. The local town was very inviting and another restaurant was just a walk down the road in a man's house. Unique but very good food.

Stay to your heart's content.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poulsbo
Poulsbo Inn
The Resort at Port Ludlow
The Resort at Port Ludlow
#1 of 1 in Port Ludlow
BEST WESTERN PLUS Bainbridge Island Suites
BEST WESTERN PLUS Bainbridge Isl...
#1 of 5 in Bainbridge Island
Green Cat Guest House and B&B

Been to Manor Farm Inn? Share your experiences!