“Great, quiet hotel.”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Mississippi
“Great, quiet hotel.”
Reviewed November 30, 2007

I spent a week at this hotel in November 2007. The stay was perfect. The staff was friendly even when I had 200 pounds of video equipment sent in ahead of time.

The packages were locked in a safe room for arrival.

The room was clean and nice. If I had one thing to change, I wish there was more television networks like Fox news and CNBC.

But that is minor.

Great stay.

Stayed November 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 8, 2007

We stayed at this place on September 8, 2008, after attending a wedding in Poulsbo.

This is an older motel in a quiet location that was converted to a Holiday Inn Express. A few years ago the guest rooms were redecorated with triple sheeting, refrigerator, microwave, and coffeemaker. Our room had two comfortable double beds and its size was o.k., but I noticed that some of the other rooms are more spacious. We got a good night's sleep with the window wide open to let in fresh air but no noise.

The hallways were not spruced up at the same time as the rooms, and, as a result, they have a cramped and dingy appearance.

The desk staff was efficient and friendly, as was the woman who worked to serve a better-than-average Holiday Inn Express style breakfast which included everything you would expect plus yogurt, waffles, and fresh fruit (plums, nectarines, apples, and bananas they day we ate breakfast).

• Stayed September 2007
seattle
Reviewed July 3, 2007

This was a terrible stay. I won't be verbose, I'll keep it short as possible, but not leave out facts.

We arrived fairly late, there was no line, so a rush is not an excuse for what happened.

Quote from the 1-800 Holiday Inn number was $20 less per room than we were charged when we got to the hotel, same day. No offer by manager to match what we were told, just a shrug of the shoulder.

Hotel apparently offers no military or AAA discount. Who knows if that's really true, since the service was so poor, and the pricing disconnect wreaked of opportunism.

Hotel is "pet friendly". Not informed of such by the 1-800. Critical for those with pet allergies.

Front desk put us in higher dollar pet rooms when we had no pets. We "negotiated" into two non-pet, cheaper rooms. Why the negotiation if you don't have pets, and the non-pet rooms were already available? Why would you charge the customer a higher rate arbitrarily, unless you are dishonest?

One room had mold in the shower grout, along with a disgusting stain on the window curtains. Blood? Something else? No clue.

The other room had plumbing so bad, the bathtub had 4" of standing water in it after a shower.

I will say that the breakfast wasn't bad. Cramped, but you can only do so much with so little space. The lady tending the room seemed to be very friendly, nice, and attentive to cleanliness. I wouldn't want to paint the entire staff as horrible, I only dealt with one manager, and the breakfast room lady.

Perhaps the difference is who you deal with. No difference should be experienced though, treatment/experience should be the same any day, any time. Apparently not the case here based on some reviews.

I have already submitted an "official" complaint to the head office, we'll see how well they take care of customers. That is the ONLY way they can possibly get me to stay in another Holiday Inn Express.

All in all, if this was a $40-60/night hotel, this might have been expected. At $160/night, no way. I'll travel further next time to get ANYTHING else, and so should you.

By the by, I don't know how this hotel is ranked as an overall 3, when the reviews thus far tally up as 2.25. Hopefully with this 1, the hotel will be ranked closer to where it deserves.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank d0rian
Hudson's Hope
Reviewed June 16, 2007

I booked the Holiday Inn Express in Poulsbo Washington becuase it was pet friendly. Upon checking in, I was asked how much my pet weighed. It seems they charge 30.00 a day for any pet that weighs over 20 lbs, which my dog did. I was so mad, as this is discrimination toward large dogs. I was ready to cancel our reservation, but as other hotels were full, could not. It spoiled our stay. I felt the condition of the hotel was run down and needed an update. They charged top dollor and it was not worth it. We have traveled many times with our dog and this is the most we have ever paid.

4 Thank lovepoddles
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed December 9, 2006

The staff at this hotel is completely incompetent. They over charged me for my stay and they lost reservation information.

• Liked — pet friendly
  • Disliked — rude staff
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 12, 2005

I guess whiners will always whine.
I read what others have written and I have to disagree with few of the reviews. I had a great time there. my kids loved it. few months back I was there for my sons llittle league and staffs had a bbq in the back for all the quests. That's the sort of people they are. going out of their way to make it feel good to be out. the place is tucked away behind the poulsbo village and was very quite during the night. front desk person was very friendly and very helpful. Breakfast hostess was great. She was very attentive and made sure that our every need was met. Great waffles, cereals, oh, and those afternoon cookies... yum. white cholcolate rasp/strawberry cookies were delicious. they also give out what they call "goodie bag" with bottles of water, cookie, chip, gum. etc. enough to make a good hardy snack. I definately want to stay there whenver I have chance to visit poulsbo.

Oh, cant forget to mention that they have all new furnitures. It's so nice.
I dont have any complaint at all.

• Stayed September 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 8, 2005

I wasnt expecting much but got a great inviting staffs who were more than happy to help me in any way. There was minor noise from obvious construction/re-modelling they were doing but did not bother me a bit. The interior lobby looks great. New carpet, and new lobby, all looked immaculate. I have been here before years ago and this new updated look and new management(?) is much much better that what I remember.

• Stayed August 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poulsbo
Poulsbo Inn
Poulsbo Inn
#2 of 2 in Poulsbo
Best Western Plus Silverdale Beach Hotel
Oxford Suites Silverdale
Oxford Suites Silverdale
#1 of 6 in Silverdale
Best Western Plus Bainbridge Island Suites
Best Western Plus Bainbridge Isl...
#1 of 5 in Bainbridge Island
Flagship Inn
Flagship Inn
#3 of 8 in Bremerton
Baymont Inn & Suites Bremerton WA

Been to GuestHouse Inn & Suites Poulsbo? Share your experiences!