“Even the kiddos loved it”
Review of Public House Grill & Ales - CLOSED

Public House Grill & Ales
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Edmonton, Canada
“Even the kiddos loved it”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We stopped in here for dinner during our stay in Port Townsend and loved it. Comfortable atmosphere. Kid friendly (with drawing paper covering the tables....I love that....why don't more places do that?). I had the Cioppino and it was absolutely delightful. We special ordered food not on the menu for the kids and they had no problems making it just right for us. The staff was friendly, the restaurant was clean and not overly noisy and the kids loved watching the sailboats go by on the water across the street.

Kansas City, Missouri
“Great Place for lunch or dinner”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I have had the pleasure of dinning twice at The Public House Grill in Port Townsend. This is a must stop for myself when in Port Townsend. I have yet to be disappointed with the atmosphere, service or food. Each visit is always a great dining experience. If visiting on Friday – Sunday for dinner I do recommend calling in advance for reservations but if not I think the food is defiantly worth the wait. The fired oyster plate, calamari or hummus are all great starters! I have really enjoyed the Halibut N chips, San Fran Cioppino and the linguine with chorizo and clams. Each visit I try something new and have not been disappointed yet!

Calgary
“Unique food”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

The fish and chips was delicious accompanied by an incredible creamy coleslaw that included broccoli. Good family restaurant.

Visited June 2014
Victoria, Canada
“Fish and Chips”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

My wife and I enjoyed lunch here in early June. The location is right on the main strip and looked promising. The service was a little slow, but not terrible. The fish and chips were excellent and I loved that they had a local IPA on tap, from Port Townsend Brewery, just down the street!

Ohio
“Never Again”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We had a large group, so we called to make reservations about 20 minutes before going to eat. There was no mention of them being out of food. We went because we were told the fish and chips were famous. When we arrived, we told them our group of 11 had increased to 13 and it took a fair while for them to adjust even though the restaurant was almost empty. We were seated given menus and started deciding what we wanted. When we were just about ready to order, someone came over and informed us that they were out of fish and chips, cod, and several other dishes. No mention of this before we were seated or ordered our drinks. The people who wanted missing items and to rethink their orders and many of them ordered salmon instead. About 20 minutes after taking our orders, they came out to inform us that the "Fresh" salmon would not thaw in time to serve us, so those people had to find something else on the menu. After another long wait, we were served a few people at a time. My daughter who ordered a cup of soup and a french fry appetizer for her dinner was server last, quite a while after everyone else. We weren't impressed with any of the dishes we ordered that night. Maybe that was why they weren't out of them. An effort was made at the end of our meal when dessert menus were handed out to some people with an offer of free dessert for the problems. I guess though that they were only meant for people who were on checks where salmon had been ordered because when they came to take the dessert orders, they skipped the 4 people on my ticket. When I tried to catch their attention by saying "We have an order", at first they continued to walk away. I made a comment fairly loudly, "well maybe not", and then they came back and took our order for dessert. Although we did spend some time at the beginning talking before we got ready to order, it did not account for the 3 hours that we were there. Both water and soda glasses were regularly empty for long periods of time all around the table. To add insult to injury, since we were a large group, and automatic tip was added to each bill but no one explained that it was there. With quick math, it seemed like a 20% auto gratuity. We quickly passed the word around the table and those who had added a customary tip removed the additional tip.

• Visited May 2014