“An appetizer that I went back to have for Dinner”
Review of Public House Grill & Ales - CLOSED

Public House Grill & Ales
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Went to dinner here with a group and we ordered this strange sounding appetizer, "Pig Wings" and could not believe how good it was. The rest of dinner was good but not as good as this appetizer. The 4 of us ate in the Bar and they are not used to serving full dinners there but they did a good job of accommodating our rather rowdy group. They also agreed to sell me a small bag of coffee since I had unexpected company and not enough coffee for morning. They couldn't have been nicer.

After my friends left town, I went back and ordered the "Pig Wings" for my dinner and it was even better when I didn't have to share. I sat at the bar and had great service and conversation. The "house red" completed the picture. All good. Try this appetizer...you will want more.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

Thought we would try this place, as we always walk by & see they are busy...walked in & the first thing we see is waitress in a black dress 2 sizes too small with her "busoms" spilling out of the top-maybe she thought she looked sexy, but it was tacky in a family restaurant-the other waitresses didn't look much better-& none of them even smiled. They need a better manager telling them the appropriate way to dress & act to serve food. I had an average hamburger & my husband had a grilled chicken sandwich for lunch & just water...and the bill came to over $30. We are not cheap, but we could have gone to the fast food restaurant down the street & had better food & a lot better service & ambience for a lot less money. I would never recommend this place to anyone.

Reviewed June 30, 2012

The Public House has a casual atmosphere on the main street by the water, and the best fish & chips, hands down. The wait staff was friendlyand our order came in a timely manner. Prices are reasonable.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

The atmosphere here is very fitting to this self-styled Victorian seaport town, but the place isn't so fussy that it's uncomfortable. It was a great escape from the relentless drizzle, and I recommend the hot toddie as a way to warm up, but stop at drinks and appetizers. The steamed mussels and clams were great, but the entrees were an overpriced disappointment. My cioppino was quite small for the $20+ pricetag, with only 3 clams, a mussel, a shrimp and a scallop, and it was more like shellfish in spaghetti sauce--way too thick and sweet to be cioppino. My husband's ling cod sandwich was billed as being seasoned with jerk sauce, but was actually just fried cod with a dollop of jerk sauce on the top. Disappointing, particularly for the price. Go for drinks, and do try the steamed mussels appetizer--it was great!--but don't bother with entrees. You'll end up paying a lot and enjoying a little.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

Great food, good location. Could maybe use a little more clorox.