“Really Good Fish and Chips”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Public House Grill & Ales - CLOSED

Public House Grill & Ales
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Richmond, Canada
“Really Good Fish and Chips”
Reviewed December 4, 2011

Just back from another trip to PT and this time we went to the Public House to celebrate a friend's birthday. The service was good but a bit slow. To be fair though, the restaurant was very busy and although they said we would have a 20 minute to get a table, we only had to wait 15 minutes.

I had heard that their fish and chips was quite good so I decided to order a 2-piece dinner. It was really tasty! Not greasy at all and the pieces of halibut were firm with just enough batter. I'd definitely go back for the fish and chips! My friends both ordered the rib-eye dinner special and were equally happy with their meals. I've had their rib-eye off the menu before and also found it excellent. I wish I'd had enough space for dessert but I will have to leave that for another time :)

• Visited December 2011

WHITE MTS NEW HAMPSHIRE
“Best fish and chips in the area,no too expensive”
Reviewed November 20, 2011

My wife and I were here last year,but were on a tight schedule,we were on our way to the PT express whale watch.(Check that out as well-take the 8hr trip to Friday Harbor).But this year was different,we made a side trip to PT,to shop,and then I said "how about havin'an early lunch'.My wife said "where?".I said the Public House.Last year I got a magazine stating "Hippies & Retirees agree the best fish and chips are at the Public House.The alaskan halibut was tastie.Did'nt even taste like fish.Next time I'll take the 2piece order.Price was about $22 with tip.Try it for yourself next time your in town.We will.David/Cheryl Sargent.NH

• Visited September 2011
Sunny California
“Beyond disappointing...”
Reviewed October 22, 2011

A good friend was very excited to bring me here for lunch as it was her favorite place to eat in Port Townsend. It's a cool place with a great atmosphere, conveniently located on the main drag. Things got off to a good start, our server seemed a little new at this, but he was cheery. We ordered cups of chowder and an entree. The chowder was ok, but I was having a hard time finding the fresh dungeness crab that was $ 4.50 extra in the cup. I told the waiter that I thought they forgot the crab and he assured me it was indeed in the cup...well if it was, it was ground crab and I found that an unusual form of FRESH like the menu said. He said he would bring me more crab. He did, 15 minutes later...chowder, long gone! The crab was in a cup and sitting in water...fresh? Not! 30 to 40 minutes later, another server came by and asked us if we would like anything else. 'We haven't gotten our lunch entrees yet!' we told her. Our diappearing waiter showed up after about 5 more minutes had gone by wondering if he could tempt us with some dessert. 'How about our entrees??' we asked. He finally DID prodce the entrees and they came out hot. I had the fish and chips and it was pretty good (though my mood at that point was ruining the meal), my friend had the grilled oysters (her favorite dish there) and she tasted them and said they were bad and could not eat them. Our waiter disappeared AGAIN for 15 minutes, never checked on our meals or us. We had to ask another server for our check. Our elusive waiter did eventually surface with the check and we made it clear that we wanted to go and that we were not satisfied with the meal or the service...and explained the bad oysters. He was muttering excuses but did not offer to remove the uneaten bad oysters from the bill, I never heard an apology (everybody's fault but his). My friend was mortified. She was so anxious to show off this great little place to eat and all we got was BAD service and a BAD meal! This was the worst dining out experience I have had in a long time. Shame on you Public House!!

• Visited October 2011
Chicago, Illinois
“Seafood was excellent”
Reviewed October 16, 2011

We stopped in for a late lunch, hoping for a light meal. We ordered appetizers, thinking it would be on the smaller side. I had the calm chowder and my husband had the steamed shellfish. We were so full, we skipped dinner. The food was excellent, as was the beer list.

• Visited September 2011
Seattle, Washington
“Way overpriced for mediocre food. Only the ambience and beer is worth it.”
Reviewed October 10, 2011

The food here is pretty expensive: $15 appetizers and most mains are $20 to $30. Our food was diner-level of quality. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but just because you put white linen on your tablecloths doesn't make for good food. Terribly overpriced we felt pretty robbed at the end of it. Pretty lackluster service too.
Would NOT recommend.