“If you read almost every other review, both the good and bad ones, then you get a true picture of the Port Townsend Inn.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Port Townsend Inn

Port Townsend Inn
Ranked #15 of 16 Port Townsend B&B and Inns
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

Executive Summary:
- Only hotel with a pool in Port Townsend
- Good Location
- Needs better cleaning and updated furnishing
- Beds and pillow not comfortable.

Details:

Let's start with the good:
- Location: convenient to downtown (although NOT walking distance). Second floor rooms have views of the ocean and mountains. Easy to get to right off the main drag. Some restaurants nearby (I would recommend Dos Okies BBQ as a tasty hole-in-wall BBQ joint).
- Pool and hot tub. The pool house itself seems reasonably well maintained - and actually in better condition than the motel itself (more on that later). The pools seemed clean.... nobody got sick after swimming :-) The pool is large and seemed maintained a reasonable temperature (a little cool so as to be refreshing, but not cold). The pool house was kept at 80F. The hot-tub was hot and the agitators worked well.
- Staff: staff was friendly; although the true test is when there is an issue that needs to be resolved and thankfully we had none of those. I asked for extra towels at the front desk and received them promptly.
- Breakfast: Seriously NOTHING fancy.... pre-packaged Danishes, hot coffee, milk, juice, cereal, toasted breads and bagels. But.... it was enough and nice to have.

Now the areas for improvement:
- It's not clean. I've seen worse, and other than wear the bathroom was thankfully seemed clean-enough. But there is just a general look/feel of dusty/stained/oldness. Under the bed (we looked there for a lost item) was pretty scary, but then again have you looked under your own bed lately :-) Basically, it was clean enough for our weekend stay, but not clean enough for us to come back.
- It's old. I am sure updates are expensive and a place like this may be struggling to get by, but it was just a bit too old and worn for my preferences. Bathroom especially could use some updates.
- Soap was insufficient. The bars were not only tiny, but they simply did not lather. Must be the absolutely cheapest they can buy. Bring your own.
- Price. It was not cheap. Our 2-night weekend stay in June clocked in at $260.
- One particular staff interaction. Here's the story. We arrive to check in and I am greeted with a smile by the young girl working the desk. She then asks for my credit card which I expect is used to "hold" the room, but instead she proceeds to charge it the full amount of our stay... at check-in. I tell her I have stayed at many hotels and this seems unusual. She replies she does not know.. she is new there. I ask her if she has ever stayed at a hotel , and if so did they charge her up-front for the entire stay? She replies she has and they did, obviously just trying to get me to shut-up or leave. In summary, it worked out OK (I got charged, we stayed, we checked out), but I would like the staff to be able to offer a better explanation of this odd policy to guests who inquire.

In conclusion:
- We really liked the location and the pool, and for these reasons might consider staying her again, but probably not as we just require a bit more cleanliness for our family.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank SethE

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Huntington Beach, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2011

What a dumpy place! The pillows were tiny and they smelled of head-sweat, YUK!
There were several stains around the bedspread and carpet...as well as having some areas of the bathroom dirty.

The staff were very incompetant...informing us of a upgrade then giving us a room in a crappy location, with the door even open before we went inside...in the dark!!

DO NOT waste your money here...go somewhere else!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank shellgirl007

Travelers are raving about these Port Townsend hotels

Silverdale, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2011

I stayed at this hotel a couple years ago and things have greatly improved since then. They have different furniture and I was told mattresses have been replaced also. In general the place is older, but clean. Price was really good compared to others in town.

Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
9 Thank littleblackcar
Port Townsend, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2011

The view from the second floor is a very nice to look out and see the water. It was a nice quite stay for me and my teenagers who had a great time in the pool. It was nice to have the continental breakfast in the morning my kids enjoyed having cereal and muffins.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank dolphingirl73
New York City
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2010

Dirty carpet, skimpy towels, funny odors, tiny soap, minimal breakfast, hot tub out of order. Otherwise, just another downmarket motel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cwojor67
Orange County, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2010

I was in Port Townsend on business last weekend. I checked into this motel and was very disenchanted. The hotel is sad and ran down. The rooms are dated in the 80's and equipped with a sliver of soap to shower with. The showers come equipped with "wall mounted" shower gel dispenser and that was empty. The sink vanity was rusted and the floors were dirty. The shower curtain was ripped and water got on the floor. The beds are squeaky as well as old and out dated. The walls are paper thin and there IS NO AIR CONDITIONING. We were there on an unusually hot weekend and there wern't even any fans available. The guests are less than ideal as well. It's more like a party spot for weekend travelers that stay up smoking all night. The smoke travels into the room and your up all night listening to the partiers drinking and smoking. They sit right outside their rooms by your window. The rooms were grossly overpriced as well at a rate of $169.00 per night. I would have been better off staying in a cardboard box under an airconditioner unit outside. I wouldn't have paid $40.00 to stay here.

This motel would be very quaint if the owners would spend a little money on remodeling. Great location though.

The positives are: close to the water, downtown and shops.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank photofunky
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2010

Despite the poor reviews, my family decided to stay at Port Townsend Inn mainly because they have a swimming pool (we have two little kids). The pool is a decent size and seems to be well kept. I would come back just because of the swimming pool as my kids could spend hours there. I heard from the front desk that the motel is undergoing major changes and it did seem apparent as our mattress and furniture were in great shape. I'm not sure about other rooms, but the room we stayed in were clean and well maintained. Continental breakfast included all the basics -- bagels, muffins, coffee, and even yogurt. Not a warm breakfast, but for a motel it was pretty good. At least my family was well fed.

The price may be a little high for a night at an Inn, but it seems to be the cheapest in the neighborhood. Considering the quality and price, I think the place is a good deal for a motel, especially if you would like a swimming pool for the kids.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family