- Only hotel with a pool in Port Townsend
- Good Location
- Needs better cleaning and updated furnishing
- Beds and pillow not comfortable.
If you read almost every other review, both the good and bad ones, then you get a true picture of the Port Townsend Inn.
Let's start with the good:
- Location: convenient to downtown (although NOT walking distance). Second floor rooms have views of the ocean and mountains. Easy to get to right off the main drag. Some restaurants nearby (I would recommend Dos Okies BBQ as a tasty hole-in-wall BBQ joint).
- Pool and hot tub. The pool house itself seems reasonably well maintained - and actually in better condition than the motel itself (more on that later). The pools seemed clean.... nobody got sick after swimming :-) The pool is large and seemed maintained a reasonable temperature (a little cool so as to be refreshing, but not cold). The pool house was kept at 80F. The hot-tub was hot and the agitators worked well.
- Staff: staff was friendly; although the true test is when there is an issue that needs to be resolved and thankfully we had none of those. I asked for extra towels at the front desk and received them promptly.
- Breakfast: Seriously NOTHING fancy.... pre-packaged Danishes, hot coffee, milk, juice, cereal, toasted breads and bagels. But.... it was enough and nice to have.
Now the areas for improvement:
- It's not clean. I've seen worse, and other than wear the bathroom was thankfully seemed clean-enough. But there is just a general look/feel of dusty/stained/oldness. Under the bed (we looked there for a lost item) was pretty scary, but then again have you looked under your own bed lately :-) Basically, it was clean enough for our weekend stay, but not clean enough for us to come back.
- It's old. I am sure updates are expensive and a place like this may be struggling to get by, but it was just a bit too old and worn for my preferences. Bathroom especially could use some updates.
- Soap was insufficient. The bars were not only tiny, but they simply did not lather. Must be the absolutely cheapest they can buy. Bring your own.
- Price. It was not cheap. Our 2-night weekend stay in June clocked in at $260.
- One particular staff interaction. Here's the story. We arrive to check in and I am greeted with a smile by the young girl working the desk. She then asks for my credit card which I expect is used to "hold" the room, but instead she proceeds to charge it the full amount of our stay... at check-in. I tell her I have stayed at many hotels and this seems unusual. She replies she does not know.. she is new there. I ask her if she has ever stayed at a hotel , and if so did they charge her up-front for the entire stay? She replies she has and they did, obviously just trying to get me to shut-up or leave. In summary, it worked out OK (I got charged, we stayed, we checked out), but I would like the staff to be able to offer a better explanation of this odd policy to guests who inquire.
- We really liked the location and the pool, and for these reasons might consider staying her again, but probably not as we just require a bit more cleanliness for our family.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Port Townsend Inn offers an indoor swimming pool and hot tub (the only one in Port Townsend!), free Wi-Fi, free Continental Breakfast, free parking, and wonderful views of the Olympic Mountains and Puget Sound. All rooms come fully equipped with a refrigerator, microwave oven, cable TV and telephone (free local calls!) ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity and Priceline so you can book your Port Townsend Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Port Townsend Hotel Port Townsend