“Full Day/Friday Harbor”

Puget Sound Express - Day Trips
Ranked #1 of 9 Tours in Port Townsend
More attraction details
Owner description: Guaranteed whale watching tours from Port Townsend (Olympic Peninsula) and Seattle/Edmonds direct to the San Juan Islands. Group tours and education trips available. Our business is family-run, with three generations on the water. Our boats are the fastest, greenest, and most comfortable in the fleet. And our customer service is unmatched - when you come with us, you're part of OUR family!
Atlanta
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Full Day/Friday Harbor”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

When planning our trip to the Olympic Peninsula/Washington, I really wanted to include the San Juan Islands and Mt. Rainier but we didn't have time for both. This was the perfect solution. In one day, we got great whale watching, a scenic cruise around the islands, and two hours to walk around Friday Harbor and eat a yummy lunch.

The boat was just the right size for feeling authentic and safe. Our captain and crew (Trevor) were both knowledgeable and helpful. We were traveling with a teenager, and I worried that 8 hours on a boat would be too long - not at all. After boarding we were served hot chocolate and blueberry cake in our little booth. It was cold outside but perfectly cozy inside. After an hour or so it warmed up and we were able to walk around outside and take in the spectacular scenery.

At Friday Harbor we had just the right amount of time to enjoy a great lunch and to check out the marinas. That afternoon we saw lots of Orca. The boat has a hydrophone, so we were able to listen to the complex chatter of the whales as they swam near our boat. Very exciting and really interesting. Our captain did a great job of respecting the whales but making sure we had a great experience.

Take layers of clothing the temp changes drastically through the day. Take binoculars, a camera and snacks if you want. The boat has a limited snack bar and hot/cold beverage service.

Trevor - thanks for jumping the RV! And we found Key City Fish Market with no problems - had an amazing meal of Rock Fish and mussels that night!

Mill Creek, Washington
“Amazing whales - even more amazing family operation!”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Our family reunion group reserved 6 spots on the all day tour last week - what an amazing day. We saw so many Orcas and porpoise both on our way to Friday Harbor and on our way back. Pete was our captain and was so patient to let us watch for a long time as Orcas were all around us - respectful of the whales space, but always in the perfect position. The staff on board was responsive to our every need. Pete invited everyone to take a turn in the pilot cabin and that was a rare treat indeed - what a vantage point. The boat was very comfortable- plenty of room at the railing and lots of windows to see from inside.

Even more impressive was Sherri assisting us initially in selecting the right tour for our group - patience and top customer service is definitely her strengths. We are all in awe of the beautiful day we had and will remember this time together for the rest of our lives.

Easy to get to Port Townsend from the areas around - we will return again and will always recommend using this company for whale watching or just a great transport to Friday Harbor.

Bellingham, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“you wont believe what you sea”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I had the pleasure of being a passenger on Cory and Trevor's boat and let me tell you, they really treated me like royalty! Both were very knowledge about the boat, sea life, and safety protocol. I felt comforted to know that the boat had life preservers for everyone and we were taught how to use them. I was also comforted to know that the toilet flushed. Trevor knew a lot about the Sea Shepard Organization and Whale Wars. If you go on the trip, be sure to ask him about it! The crew was also able to name the birds that we spotted and even what kind a gull. They also provided bird charts which were a nice touch. The whales really put on a show for us and I'm sure that Cory and Trevor had something to do with that. I highly recommend the trip, it will be the highlight of your summer.

3 Thank WhaleExplorer2000
Bellingham, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“WHALE WHALE WHALE!”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I went with my 4 young children and my husband on the 4 hour whale watching tour on the Red Head. It was the highlight of my 4 young children's lives. I had the pleasure of having Hailey and Trevor as our crew members and Christopher as our captain. These 3 people made the experience outstanding! We got to see many whales, birds, and sea life! The crew knew what they were talking about when we spotted the J pod. The crew was very professional and made sure that everyone was having a good time and able to see all the whales. The berry coffee cake was delicious and you could tell that the crew put love into making it. I would whaley recommend this tour for anyone of any age who is ready for a good time!

1 Thank 22JackieG
Seattle
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great day seeing whales!”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

My sister and I took the 4 hour morning whale watching tour this last Saturday. Puget Sound Express does a great job of finding the whales. They are in constant communication with other boats to see where the whales are that day. The boat was comfortable and the ride was great. The boat we were on held only 40 passengers so it wasn’t crowded. You could see great from your seats inside but you could also go outside to get a closer look. Captain Pete was very informative and provided a lot of interesting tidbits about what we were seeing and about the wildlife. We saw some seals and bald eagles on a small island and then Captain Pete found us a pod of orcas to view. It was wonderful to see these beautiful creatures up close. We watched them for an hour. They also provide wonderful service on board. Captain Pete’s assistant (sorry I forgot her name) was always checking with the passengers to see if they needed anything. Drinks, food, etc. We would highly recommend them if you are in the area and want to see whales. They do their best to find them for you.