“excellent”

Puget Sound Express - Day Trips
Ranked #1 of 9 Tours in Port Townsend
More attraction details
Owner description: Guaranteed whale watching tours from Port Townsend (Olympic Peninsula) and Seattle/Edmonds direct to the San Juan Islands. Group tours and education trips available. Our business is family-run, with three generations on the water. Our boats are the fastest, greenest, and most comfortable in the fleet. And our customer service is unmatched - when you come with us, you're part of OUR family!
Reviewed December 22, 2013

This is an excellent trip from PT. We saw a number of orcas as well as other animals. For us the only downside was the lengthy lunch in Friday Harbor (not my favorite place.)

There are newer reviews for Puget Sound Express - Day Trips

Reviewed November 1, 2013

My girlfriend from Oklahoma had always dreamed of a trip to the Pacific NW to see whales so we found PS Express and had an unbelievable day. We did a lot of research to find the right whale watching outfit, and weren't disappointed. The Captain and crew just couldn't have been more professional and accomodating. We could hear the other whale watching boats call our boat to see if (they) knew where the whales were that day-almost as if the Captain of PSE was quiding ALL of the boats in the search. We learned that PSE was basically the pioneer or one of the longest running Whle Watching outfits in the Puget Sound - out of Port Townsend. I think they must have began its operations much before Free Willy was ever around. Anyway, despite the weather starting out a bit cloudy and it took about 30 minutes to see any signs of a whale, the clouds parted we started running into many whales.. On this particular day, we were right in the middle of a Superpod, which is a somewhat rare event of three families coming together in a bunch- WOW what a supernatural experience! We started seeing whales that came very close to us and actually swam under the boat!. Needless to say, my girlfriend is now my wife as I caught her in a weak moment shortly after our trip to see the whales!

2  Thank Dave O
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This company falsely advertised that they had guaranteed whale watching and that they were successful in seeing whales 98% of their trips. What they purposefully failed to say was that the 98% success rate was no longer true and that certain fish the whales eat no longer frequest the sound where the company searches for whales and thus their success rate is not currently 98%.

That said, I spent 4 miserable hours with my wife and 2 kids riding around in a boat futilely looking for whales at great expense, only to be told on our return that the reason we didn't see a single whale was because of the fact that the fish the whales eat were no longer around. This would have been nice to have been told before the trip as it would have saved me and my family 4 miserable hours and $350.

When I complained, I was told that they would do nothing for me, not even a discount for wasting 4 hours of my vacation.

Terrible, terrible company. Buyer beware.

4  Thank John B
PS_Express, Owner at Puget Sound Express - Day Trips, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

John, we're truly sorry to hear about your experience from a few months back. This was actually an above average year for whale sightings, but more of these sightings were of transient orca whales (who eat seals), vs. the southern resident orcas (who eat salmon). This viewing profile was likely due to the decreased 2013 salmon run in the Pacific NW. But if we somehow left you with the impression that all the whales were gone, we apologize - that certainly wasn't our intent (still plenty of whales!),

All of our 4 hour trips are guaranteed, in that if we don't see whales for some reason, we'll gladly give you a voucher for a future trip. Please feel free to call us at 360-385-5288 and we'll take care of that for you.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

I have taken the full-day whale-watching trip at least 6 times and I have never been disappointed. Even if we don't see Orcas, the crew goes out of their way to find other interesting wildlife and/or scenery to explore. The owners and the crew are all the most customer-friendly I've ever experienced. They do everything they can to help ensure that everyone has a wonderful time. The typically 2-hour stop-off in Friday Harbor is enough to grab a nice lunch and do some shopping or exploring of the village. I highly recommend the Puget Sound Express and it's always my first choice to take our visitors on the full-day whale watching cruise.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

We recently took the 4 hour whale watch tour and unfortunately there were no Orcas to be found that day, though we did see seals and a minke whale. None of the other boats out on tour found any whales either, so given that this was the end of the season, this is the chance we took! The experience still was good as the crew is very knowledgeable and they took us to see seals and sea birds before heading in to shore. We were given vouchers for free tours for next season that are completely transferrable. So though we were a bit disappointed, we felt they did their best for us.