“A Nice Surprise”

Belmont Restaurant & Saloon
Ranked #36 of 98 Restaurants in Port Townsend
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Port Ludlow, Washington
“A Nice Surprise”
Reviewed December 2, 2010

A group of nine of us went to dinner at The Belmont this week. I had lots of misgivings due to the mixed reviews I had read on this site. We had reservations and were seated promptly and courteously. Our waiter was polite and attentive, keeping water glasses filled and responsive to the needs of the diners. I had the Belmont Salad which was baby greens, bleu cheese, walnuts, garnished with thin slices of apple, and balsamic vinagrette. My husband had the Caesar salad which was also good. One diner ordered the Calimari appetizer and shared it around. The calimari were tender, not chewy. For an entree we ordered the pork tenderloin and received two ample portions of pork apiece with a good mushroom sauce, nicely prepared vegetables and very good mashed potatoes. My husband had a mixed rice pilaf with his pork, also good. One woman in the party ordered stuffed sole, her favorite at the Belmont, and several ordered salmon in one entree or another. All enjoyed their meals. It was a birthday celebration and cheesecake was served with a couple of candles. This too was delicious. The plate was garnished with swirls of raspberry and chocolate sauce. Meals for our party ranged from $16.95 for veal medallions or pork tenderloin up to $30 or so for some of the salmon entrees. Salads were about $6. We were very pleased with every aspect of the evening! It would be fun to go back in a party of two or four to eat in the booths that looked Victorian and charming with lace separating the booths above the wood partitions. Each booth also had a charming lamp in this historic hotel/restaurant.

Olympic Peninsula
“Disappointment Plus!”
Reviewed October 15, 2010

Whenever I am on this side of the sound I visit Port Townsend! So beautiful and fun! I love to eat at somewhere different each time. A good friend had recommended the Belmont for the gorgeous view in the deck and lovely food. So, I tried it out. Breathtaking view but....
Disappointment Plus!
It was a sunny day - in October! Wow! Lunch on the deck here I come!
When my turn came to be seated I asked for a table on the deck. I was told they were not seating the deck. Then the waiter disappeared. The next one asked if I had been helped, I said I would like a seat on the deck or by the windows please. That waiter disappeared and another asked to seat me by the stairs as far from the windows as possible. (?) I repeated my request and they said they would check. One of the first two wait staff appeared and again tried to seat me across the room from the windows (is eating on your own a signal to be shuffled to one side?). I repeated my request again and was seated at a table set for six! A table for four was now empty and I asked to be moved so that they had the table for six available for a group that might need it. Once seated I was speedily handed a menu and a few minutes later asked "Are we ready to order ma'am?" We??? I ordered a glass of wine and cioppino. No sooner had I ordered, then seating began on the deck AND NO I was not moved to the deck even after my initial multiple requests.
The cioppino came with a great broth - but something crunchy(celeriac? water-chestnuts? what?) kept popping up. It was a decent bowl, on a small plate...hmm but where to put the shells from the clams and mussels? No room on the plate --plus there was bread arranged on its side. Luckily there was another bread plate on the table and I hoped that the shells would not slide off it. I saved the mussels for last, the bowl held about 4. Two of the mussels were not open and were definitely in the "dead" category. I put them off to one side and wondered if the bowl I had eaten was OK...time would tell. Had chef missed this in preparing the plate? It was only small; how was that possible? When I finished the head waiter asked if he could clear - I said yes and pointed out that half my mussels were dead, or in the case of the one I half pried open; rubber. He said nothing but cleared the dishes. When my bill arrived it was for the full amount. No discount for the dead mussels, no explanation, no apology...very, very sad customer service. I should have followed my first instinct to leave when I received no deck seating ...many others along the waterfront that day had their decks open and ready for us tourists to happily eat lunch - they will get my business next time, not the Belmont.

Eastham, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Waitstaff and menu need to be more honest!”
Reviewed October 12, 2010

My husband liked his meal, I didn't like mine -so we split the difference on the rating. Problem: my salmon, which was on the menu as being cooked in parchment with seasonal fresh vegetables, appeared without parchment and browned on the edges and top. When asked about this, the waitress looked me in the eyes and said that many people had a problem with the paper, so chef did the work for me by taking the meal out of the parchment. Really? Maybe the same people didn't notice that the vegetables were frozen and then cooked to mushy and thrown on the plate.
Maybe the menu just needs to be updated, but if this place can't be honest about how food is prepared, I wonder what else is misrepresented.

Petaluma, California
“Great steaks, great service”
Reviewed September 26, 2010

A group of 8 of us were looking for a good steak and a man on the street told us about the Belmont. We were certaintly impressed with the food--Everyone a nothing but positive comments about what they were eating. My steak was extremely tender and cooked to perfection. Our waiter was there for our every need. If you are looking for a good steak I would definately recommend the Belmont

Vancouver, Washington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“One of the best steaks I can remember and great service”
Reviewed July 4, 2010

We ate at the Belmont twice during our stay over Memorial Day weekend, once for dinner and once for lunch. We found the food and the service to be outstanding. Easily one of the best steaks I've ever had for dinner and our lunch was first rate as well. Our service was great at both meals in different ways. At dinner, everything was taken care of, just the way you would expect. Just the right amount of attention without hovering. My wife is on a special diet and at both meals the staff were very helpful. In fact, as we were checking out, the owner warmed up my wife's lunch leftovers from the day before. Excellent service, great food, and a terrific view, what more could you ask for?