“Nice quiet room with a good view over the bay.”
Review of Aladdin Motor Inn

Aladdin Motor Inn
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Port Townsend
Pescadero, California
“Nice quiet room with a good view over the bay.”
Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Port Townsend is a fun little town to visit. However it is not cheap. So, you do what you can, to save a buck. I decided to stay here instead of one of the small B&Bs. I was pleasantly surprised. Room was clean. Had clean coffee maker with local coffee. Had microwave and fridge. Flat screen tv with 35 channels. Breakfast.
Overall, a good night's rest.
I was satisfied with my stay.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank insaneroadwarrior

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Bonney Lake, Washington
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Finding quality lodging for a good price is a game we play in our travels. Finding a good price on a festival weekend in a scenic town? Good luck.

Having said that, we found the Aladdin. If you are looking for a gem, keep looking. This property does offer a good, clean room, nice bedding, with a mini-fridge, microwave, and a balcony to watch the boat traffic to/from the local marina (on floors 2 & 3, anyway). This is waterfront property, there is a small beach with easy access, but is also adjacent to working waterfront - make sure you ask for a "water view" room. Front desk person was friendly, with a sense of humor (always a plus in my book).

It is a long walk into Downtown (or Uptown) Port Townsend, and there are limited restaurant facilities close by. What there is, isn't bad. An Indian (East Indies, that is) restaurant is across the street, as is a pretty good BBQ place (Dos Okies), as well as a couple of brewpubs (Port Townsend Brewing, and The Pourhouse. Otherwise, get in the car and drive the mile into town for some good restaurant choices.

The Aladdin offers breakfast. Not much, breads, juice, coffee, instant oatmeal. The person at the front desk recommended the Spruce Goose Café for a good breakfast (a few miles SW of town at the Jefferson County Airport). We didn't go, but we have eaten there before and it is worth the effort to go there.

The only real complaint would be the that the building itself is constructed so that every last squeaky footstep and movement of the nearby occupants can be clearly heard.
Our room definitely had some updating done recently (bathroom, flat-screen TV, appliances); other parts of the room were dated, but this did not (nor should it) detract from the overall quality of the room. Old-school "keys" instead of "keycards" - actually a bit nostalgic!
Would I stay here again? Quite possibly, but only after I look harder for something better.

Room Tip: Ask for "Water View". Otherwise your view will be of the old dock buildings next door.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ritzville, Washington
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

We booked this room for our kids on a business trip. When asked one of them gave it a 2 star, the other one a 3 star overall. When they got there she text me to say it was kind of scary! I thought, oh no, what did I do? She informed me that the door had looked like someone had crowbarred the door to get in and so they took all their valuables with them while they went to eat dinner out. The shower curtain had mold on the bottom and so she wouldn't take a shower there. The pillows were super flat and worthless. The bed was decent. The view from their room was amazing. They enjoyed a walk on the beach the next morning. They didn't eat at the breakfast but said it was pretty basic with muffins and pastries. Not sure our company will book this hotel next time.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Lynn G
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We weren't in PT to spend time in the room. It was clean, basic, the mattress was comfortable and the sheets were soft. You are right above the beach so there is a nice view to the east. The working marina to the south didn't bother us. The $ we saved went toward a nice dinner.

Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I booked a King bed with waterfront view on the internet on 01/17/13. When we arrived on 03/18/13, I was told the room was not available, with no further explanation. I negotiated a room with a balcony and view with two queen beds (I was offered one queen bed). This Inn is rundown, with some improvements made. The bathroom, fridge, microwave, towels, carpeting, and overall cleanliness were fine. One of the queen beds had sheets so old they were pilling and completely unsuitable. No windows, making the room slightly claustrophobic, but a sliding door out to a tiny balcony. The door needed replacing; you could not see through it (air in the glass). The curtains over the sliding doors were also extremely old, they looked like bed sheets. The view was lovely, the beach smelly. The complimentary breakfast was not good, choices were limited and coffee was bad. There is no elevator, stairs are outdoors and can be slippery. Price was very good: $71. Perhaps a lesson in you get what you pay for.

2 Thank Judith K
Lincoln City, Oregon
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We chose the Aladdin because it was CHEAP and because of the glowing reports on TripAdvisor. Good choice. You are not going to get the amenities of a 5-star hotel here, but you get a lot for the price. More than I expected. I expected the plastic glasses in plastic wrap, for example, but I was pleased to find the Aladdin supplied real, ceramic coffee cups. The soaps were tiny, but they worked just fine. And the room was clean and in great shape. The disadvantages: the sliding glass door to our small balcony was cloudy, so we could not see the view well from indoors (and outdoors it was COLD); there is no elevator, so we had to haul our very heavy luggage up the stairs; we could hear floor-creaking sounds from the people in the room above us; when we called about arriving late because the ferries were cancelled due to high wind, none of us could understand the person speaking on the hotel's phone answering system. On the other hand, when we took a chance and left a message without knowing whether or not the answering system even asked for a message, the management called back almost immediately. Very cool. My advice: leave your ego home, stay at the Aladdin and have enough money left in your pocket to buy a very special fish dinner.

Room Tip: Go for the first floor unless you are traveling light.
1 Thank djess55555
Ocracoke, North Carolina
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

I paid for a cheap room and when I signed in they moved me to a room with an amazing balcony. right over the water. With no car it was a bit on the skirts of town to walk. I would love to move to this place someday. all the charm I was looking for on the west coast.

• Stayed March 2013