“DO NOT STAY HERE!!!”

Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Port Townsend
Yakima, Washington
“DO NOT STAY HERE!!!”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

This place is overpriced and dirty! $209 for a king bed with a Jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. We checked in, went to our room and promptly checked out! The hallways are dark, steps are creaky and in need of repair, the room was small, dirty and the furnishings looked like they were purchased at a bad garage sale. There are much nicer hotels that charge a lot less in town. Do not stay here!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank bcw58838

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I was showing my pal the place for the history and I'd stayed years ago. They've always been kind about allowing people to walk around whether a guest or not. We decided to inquire about rooms, and as it was off season mid week and a birthday trip (my pal) the manger gave us a tower room suite. We were thrilled. With it came a free appetizer from the restaurant and discount on drinks. The dinner was exceptional and the waiter, lovely. All around stellar experience.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Sherry R
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed September 30, 2013

My weekend here was lovely. This hotel was not the spa type feel and that's not its intent. It was truly a step back into another era. The decor was terrific, the staff was fantastic, and everything was very clean! At every turn we were pointing and saying, oh wow, look at that . . .beautiful! I will definitely be back.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank jaadeee
Renton, Washington
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We visited Port Townsend for a Kiwanis event. The room at the castle was provided to us by the Kiwanis Club of Port Townsend. I read the reviews here on Tripadvisor and was a little worried about our stay, staff, maintenance and cleanliness. Once we arrived we were greeted right away by the front desk staff. We had to get our luggage up to our room, thank goodness they had an elevator, yes it is an old elevator and the front desk staff had to operate it for you, that is alright, it worked. Our room was great, 200. It was clean, it was well appointed and it was clean. Having read some of the reviews I am not sure what those of you who wrote them were expecting. The building is over 120 years old. They have done a great job upgrading as best they can, those of you who complained about the hotel based on this should do a little more research before you book a room in a 120 year old hotel.
As for the complaints of the staff, still not sure who you were talking about or why you complained. All staff went out of their way for us. If you were expecting them to take your luggage or shine your shoes, they would not do that, but they did make us feel welcome and to some extent they did help with our luggage, they operated the elevator. Yes the elevator that some of you complained was too old, remember the comment above, 120 years old. Cleanliness, maintenance problems etc., the building looked in good shape for its age.
Might I suggest that next time, complainers, you should research your stays better. You can not expect a old hotel to have all of the modern conveniences that a more modern hotel has, at least they had HD TV, which is better than some hotels, Best Westerns etc., have.
I am very glad that we had the opportunity to stay at the Castle and we would enjoy staying there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
7 Thank Pamela-and-Greg
sedro woolley wa
Reviewed September 23, 2013

**Have stayed there with family, adults and while an old fashioned and historic hotel, I have always been more than happy w/the room service and restaurant, the rooms are comfortable, note ! always try for a window view of the water!! Quiet and close to the water front area but not to close! Always a pleasant and relaxing stay.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank monte c
Culver City, California
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I like historic old hotels - so I found this place interesting. The rooms are nothing fancy - but I found my room comfortable. And I'd asked for a water view room - and was glad I did. There is an elevator at the hotel - but someone from the staff needs to operate it. So if you can't use the stairs, you call from your room and they come up and get you. Kind of different.

As others mentioned, you pay when you check in. This has its advantages if you plan to check-out early and hit the road..... because there is nobody at the front desk until around 8:00AM

The bathroom was large enough but laid out in a rather strange way - a very long room with the toilet and shower in little compartments.

I found the people at the hotel very nice. The front desk staff and the bar tender were very friendly and professional.

I did not dine at the hotel - for breakfast or dinner. I was not impressed with the dinner menu. Also the hotel is perched on a hill in a residential neighborhood. You will need to drive to the center of town to eat and a restaurant if you don't dine at the hotel. The Victorian center of Port Townsend is very interesting. I'd recommend you check it out.

Room Tip: Pay the extra $10 and ask for a water-view room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank GareThere
Fremont, California
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed at Manresa Castle for three nights. They make you pay up front so there is no way of cutting your stay shorter. This was the one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed. It was expensive and definitely not worth the price. First of all, the place smelled badly. Not only did the place smell old and musty but also there was an overwhelming stench of rotten broccoli or cauliflower that permeated the hotel. It was probably a sewer problem. There was no ventilation in the room and only a very small window approximately 12” by 36” that could be opened. The room was hot and stuffy. Worst of all the floors were filthy. The ad says that they have free wi fi however the wifi is not in the rooms. You must go downstairs to the library to use your computer. I like to work on my computer at night so I would go down to the library and to my horror there was no one on duty after 6 pm at night and they leave the front door open so that anyone can walk right in. As a woman alone, I was very uncomfortable with this and witnessed suspicious people walking in and out in the late hours of the night. I definitely would not recommend this place. I originally wanted to stay at the Tides Inn because it was close to the water and it was less expensive. I wish I had listened my first instinct rather than to book at Manresa. The rooms were not cleaned during the stay. In the library someone opened a bottle of wine and drank out of two glasses, which were left on the table. The empty bottle and dirty glasses remained in the same place throughout my stay. I didn’t go to the Sunday brunch but the breakfast was nothing better than you could get a Motel 6.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

#1 of 1 in Port Ludlow
Aladdin Motor Inn
Aladdin Motor Inn
#9 of 11 in Port Townsend

Been to Manresa Castle? Share your experiences!