“Classic old hotel, no ghosts for us”
Review of Manresa Castle

Manresa Castle
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Port Townsend
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Don't stay here looking for a chain hotel. It's old, with wood panelling, gorgeous wallpaper, eclectic furniture and creaky stairs. Our room also had an amazing view, gigantic jacuzzi tub, and plenty of room to spread out. The bed was super comfy with a fluffy comforter. Go ahead and ask to see what's available. I think all the rooms are a little different. And no, we didn't meet any ghosts.

Room Tip: Take the time to go see what your options are.
1  Thank Ann98284

Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

In the US, castles are hard to come by, so when I saw this one in PT, I was excited. My two girlfriends and I came here for a girls weekend and loved it! The restaurant in the hotel was superb, service was slow, but hey, we're on vacation right? We stayed in room 305, one of the plain rooms with a private, very clean bath down the hall. They supply you with robes and I never encountered anyone in the hall while going to the bathroom. The Sunday brunch was wonderful, very filling. The drawbacks were the private bath was down the hall ( no biggie) the beds were advertised as queen when infact they were doubles, the grounds were in need of TLC. It's an old castle, don't expect perfection, but it is unique and fun, with an excellent restaurant! Best steak I've ever had, seriously! I'm excited for the next time we come, I will spring for the fancier room " court side" or tower next time!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Khattwmn
Reviewed April 19, 2013

When we arrived the manager was kind enough to show us the different rooms that were available. We settled on room 200. It was one of the turret rooms. (More like a suite) The hotel was in off season they also gave us a key for a jacuzzi bathroom. This hotel gave us each a drink plus appetizer and continental breakfast. The appies, drinks, and dinner were superb. We had a great stay and will be back. Thanks to the Staff and Management for an incredible stay.

Room Tip: Ask to view the available rooms.
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I sent an email regarding renting out one if not 3 of their rooms for a wedding and reception. I am very umtraditional and would love a haunted venue. My original email was answerered very fast. The manager thought I was inquiringly about accomadations for haloween night and his answer was prompt. I appreciated his answer in regards to halloween be a very eventfull night but I don't care about the events for the hotel. I wanted to know if in fact the property and the 3 rooms they lease out for such an occasion were available and how much of a deposit they were looking for in doing so. I have yet to hear an exact response.

Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We attended a friends wedding at the Manresa Castle in Port Townsend. We got a water view room. The room was okay, a little spare with a nice, large tile bathroom. In the room there was a bed, a fold down desk and chest of drawers. None of it matched, but that was okay. I guess I would call the whole thing "funky". The public spaces in the hotel are lovely, with the restaurant being the best. Lots of character and charm.

The hotel is a little out of the way, so if you want to shop downtown or in the uptown area, you'll probably need to drive there. Also, the hotel is supposed to be haunted - though we didn't experience anything.

Might stay here again. In general, prefer to stay down on Front Street at the Waterstreet Hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed at Manresa Castle over Easter weekend. It's a lovely and interesting place. Granted, it is very old, but we found it clean and charming. The antiques throughout lend an overall feel of authenticity and one can imagine what it must have been like for the original owners to have lived there. Its very age and history is what makes it interesting and unique and so far superior to the cookie-cutter fare of chain hotels. We loved our stay. It was quiet, clean, and it made for a pleasant weekend get-a-way.

As others mentioned, there IS an elevator but it is not routinely used as law requires only hotel employees operate it. That means in most cases that the front desk clerk must leave her post to escort guests, which of course is a bit inconvenient. Therefore, it's a good idea to pack light as you most likely will need to take the stairs up to your room. The elevator is the oldest one in operation in Washington state. My husband has bad knees but he negotiated the stairs to our second floor room; however, to view other rooms for a future stay the clerk kindly took us by elevator to see the third floor tower suite. It is lovely as was also the bridal suite. We will definitely return, using their 1/2 price card for use during winter off-season months and stay in one of the suites.

Contrary to another review, we did NOT see water-stained wall paper and we did NOT experience any musty smell ANYWHERE throughout the building. The evening meal at the restaurant was superb and brunch the next morning (Easter Sunday) was very good with the exception of the "hash browns" which were, indeed, as one reviewer mentioned, little dried up squares of potato. We mentioned it to Bob, the restaurant manager, as constructive criticism, but at the same time told him, very sincerely, that everything else was excellent.

As far as bathrooms: yes, there are a couple of rooms on each floor that do not have bathrooms included in the sleeping area. But only a couple of rooms are like this. One can imagine the tremendous logistical difficulty of adding 40+ bathrooms to a 100+-year-old building that originally had only 3. The rooms without baths do have their own bathrooms, for their EXCLUSIVE use only--they are just down the hall a bit and accessed by room key. So you are NOT sharing these bathrooms. Our room was pleasantly decorated and the bed was very comfortable. The window in the door was blocked out so no one would be able to see through it even if it wasn't covered by a curtain--which ours was. We did not notice any unusual sounds or happenings that would indicate "haunting" but in an old building, if that's your thing, you could certainly contrive something for fun and amusement.

Overall, I'm giving this site a rating of 4--only because a rating of 5 to me means perfection--and Manresa Castle should: #1- change out their "hash browns" to something that better fits that name and expectation, and, #2- because we noticed a couple of the double pane windows in the tower suite had lost their seal and therefore were streaked with condensation inside. This is unfortunate because these windows look out on the scenic water view. Still, it is only a couple of the windows with this problem and I feel the complaints regarding them and the hash browns are relatively minor. One other thing of note: WiFi is not readily accessible from the rooms (at least not from our room) likely due to the wire inside the walls used in the old lathe and plaster construction. There is WiFi access from the "library" room on the lobby level.

Our room had a modern flat screen TV, a telephone and small bath with shower only. It did take a long time to get hot water but no big deal. It's traversing a long distance in such a huge building. Just turn on the water and let it run, knowing it will take a few minutes for hot water to reach you. As one reviewer noted: it is an old building. Be tolerant of this, appreciate the history, the antiquity and decor and you will enjoy your time here. It must take a tremendous amount of money to maintain such a large place and I hope it can compete successfully with chain hotels. It's a wonderful historical site. Because of this, it is regulated by such preservation groups and further modification to make the building handicap accessible is forbidden.

I do want to make one last note: staying here includes a continental breakfast. Sunday mornings that breakfast is served in the dining room, which was our experience. It was extra special because it happened to be Easter morning. We had a nice menu offering plus we were given the option of ordering crab cakes with poached eggs and hollandaise sauce from the special Easter menu. That was a nice bonus. Also, I ordered hot chocolate which was not included but I was not charged for it and it arrived in a little tea pot that allowed me a refill at no additional charge. We were also served a warm miniature cinnamon roll to eat while we waited for our meal, which by the way, was quite tasty. So, just a couple of nice, extra touches that made for a pleasant experience.

Continental breakfasts during the week and on Saturdays is a self-serve affair taking place in the breakfast room near the lobby. One reviewer referred to it being in a very dark room with no windows. This is true but, again, it's a room that was converted from the lower level of the chapel the Jesuits built onto the original home. I guess it's a matter of seeing the glass half full instead of half empty. Not worth complaining about in my opinion. I cannot speak to the food offerings for the week-day breakfast meal since we weren't there for it. I hope you give Manresa Castle a try and enjoy your stay. Port Townsend has lots of cute little shops and the beach at Fort Worden State Park is wonderful. Our sunny Easter weekend there was top notch from start to finish and the "castle experience" isn't one you can find just anywhere.

Room Tip: Ask if your room includes a bathroom. If not you want to be sure to pack a bathrobe for your down t...
5  Thank Daygetaway
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I spent the weekend of April 5th through the 7th at Manresa Castle. While we found the bed in our room, 314, to be shakey and very, very broken in, the view of the water was great. We arrived late on Friday night but the bar was open and served up great drinks and food.

We ate dinner in the restaurant Saturday evening. My wife was suffering from a headache and our server, Javier brought her some asprin which greatly helped. Unfortunately it turned out that my wife had contracted a bout of food poisoning from a local pub in town and as soon as our food arrived she was out the door. The staff was very understanding and provided a tray for me so that I could take our food back the room.

The next day when we were back in the restaurant for brunch the staff asked about her health and found us a table near the window. The restaurant staff provided a world class customer experience and I can't recommend them enough.

Room Tip: Water view rooms are very nice, try to avoid room 314 until the get a new box spring and matress.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Townsend
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites North Sequim
Fort Worden
Fort Worden
#2 of 11 in Port Townsend

Been to Manresa Castle? Share your experiences!