“Enjoy the funky, old, unique atmosphere”
Review of Manresa Castle

Manresa Castle
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Port Townsend
Vista, CA
“Enjoy the funky, old, unique atmosphere”
Reviewed September 1, 2011

This is a really big old formerly fancy Victorian mansion/castle. That means it has tons of charm and atmosphere, gorgeous, lovingly restored woodwork, a unique exterior... but be prepared for some of the old, funkiness to be reflected in bathrooms and such. Back in the day, they didn't have floor plans to accommodate huge modern bathrooms. The bathrooms are different in each room -- sometimes squeezed into a tiny closet space, sometimes shared down the hall, sometimes nice and big. If you care about bathroom space, make sure you ask when booking for a full-sized bathroom. Personally, I don't care and saved money by choosing a smaller, funkier bathroom. Beds are nice, the hotel was quiet, the staff was super-friendly. Love the unique vibe there!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kimjoy_Vista

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed August 17, 2011

My sister and I visited Pt Townsend and I suggested the "castle" since I hadn't stayed there in 12 years. We really enjoyed the history and the period decorations and style of the hotel. It was clean, fairly priced and the package we got had a great drinks/appetizer for two in the Castle Key Lounge. I would HIGHLY recommend the cheese platter. Some of the best I've ever tasted. Again, the style of the room and the furnishings were authentic and tasteful. Even if you don't stay here, I would suggest you come in for a drink and have a look around. The morning continental breakfast was very nice and in a room tucked downstairs so it was quiet and private. The staff person managing kept it clean and well stocked.

Our room faced the ocean so I can't comment on the rooms that face inland and probably do overlook the QFC grocery store as other reviews have referenced. Plenty of hot water, towels and a ceiling fan in the room. No complaints at all on our visit. If you're looking for a resort or spa, this isn't the place for you. If you're looking for a clean, non-cookie cutter room, I suggest the Manresa Castle (although it doesn't look like a castle, but more like an old Victorian house).

Room Tip: Spend the extra money and get the ocean view. So worth the money.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank TrvlTheWorld2
Whidbey Island, Washington
Reviewed July 31, 2011

We had a family reunion at Manresa Castle and everything was perfect! Our rooms were great, the food and service were first class all the way! We will be back for sure.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Rixtoyz
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed July 4, 2011

My new husband and I drove up to Manresa Castle from Portland, OR for a mini 'moon, one night in the hotel. When booking on the phone, the woman we spoke to advised us of a double room that included a jacuzzi, which turned out to be huge! The bathroom was across the hall, but we were given big, fluffy robes to wear. The room, 301, was very quiet and in a corner, which featured a sitting area in a small turret and a very comfortable and soft bed. Late in the evening, we went down to the restaurant, which has a gorgeous Victorian stained glass bar and decor (as does the whole castle) and were given free coffee by the bartender, as she was getting ready to close. Also, as we got a flat tire on our way to the castle, which delayed us a bit, we were accommodated by the hotel staff with a late check out at 12:00. The continental breakfast was tasty and included fresh fruit, muffins, coffee cake, cereal, hard boiled eggs, coffee, and juice. When we were on our way out, one of the staff gave us a ride down in the elevator, which was sweet. The mansion also has a beautiful garden with a fountain, and benches and tables to sit at and enjoy the beauty of the estate. The whole area feels enchanted, there are many deer in the vicinity and they don't seem to be too phased by humans. The hotel definitely has an aura of history about it, a 'vibe,' if you will, but I think it is indicative of the character and uniqueness of this place.

Room Tip: If you'd like a huge jacuzzi ask for room 301.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank haley0122
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 1, 2011

I stayed here with a friend who attended a writing conference being held there. It is a hotel decorated in Victorian style reconfigured from what was originally a very large private home and then a Jesuit residence, and has some of the concomitant issues of an old repurposed building. It is somewhat charming but quirky; has the oldest elevator in Washington state (that has to be operated by an employee). It was once a brick building which was more castle-ish to me, but was stuccoed by the Jesuits to give it a uniform appearance after they added on. It overlooks the Puget Sound and has a fantastic view -as does much of Port Townsend. It is not on the water, and a bit of a walk to town. Everyone working there was very nice. The room was okay in an old, recycled furniture way, and the beds very comfortable. I was a big room with four windows, only one of which opened - hot in the summer I suspect. The bathroom was en suite. I found out later that other rooms had shared baths. I don’t know how the other rooms varied in layout or furniture. This appears to be a popular place for weddings although I’m not sure why, other than the sort of fairy tale castle-ish appearance of the exterior. The surrounding area is a hospital, strip mall on a major road, and parking lots.

In the room... the 2 chairs provided were uncomfortable and difficult to do work in. To describe the love seat as lumpy doesn’t do it justice. I believe that Victorian era furniture was not known for it’s ease or comfort (with the possible exception of fainting couches). There was no desk, nor was there one in the “library” on the first floor. There was plenty of lighting in the room but all rather dim. I was in a double room, with a queen bed in the main room and the 2nd in an interior room to the side ( with a door and a large open window/pass through in the wall that divided it from the other bed area) that had no bedside lamp, only a ceiling chandelier. Consequently, reading after my roommate went to bed was an imposition.

The lack of amenities like an exercise room or pool was fine - I knew that before I arrived. What surprised and disappointed me is that there is no outside area to sit, drink a cup of coffee, read, relax, or work. There is a small simple garden with a small fountain and several wrought iron benches in it and nothing else. Considering the view, the sun exposure of the site, and occasionally good weather, it would have been nice to have a comfortable place to sit outside and read, or work at a table instead of driving to find a spot.

There is WiFi available but every night it disappeared! The first night at 10:30 the connection stopped and the network no longer showed up. I called the front desk the and was told they didn't know what could be done but would leave a note for the manager. This happened each night at varying times and without warning. On the day I checked out I found out that access is guaranteed only in the “library”, due to the thickness of the walls. However, on the first night I had WiFi in my room for 4 hours before it suddenly disappeared and the second night there was no access including in the library! I found this very annoying as I was doing things on an interactive website each time when it disappeared.

Continental breakfast is basic -wheat bread only for toast, some muffins and oatmeal cookies, cake one morning, cold and (instant) hot cereal, hard boiled eggs, apples, oranges, bananas, coffee and orange juice. No bagels, english muffins, yogurt. There is a pub/bar open in the evening which is very pleasant but doesn’t stay open very late. There is also a restaurant with an interesting appearing menu but I didn’t try it.
This place has more the feel and amenities of a large bed and breakfast (except for the breakfast) than rather a hotel.

Pros: comfortable beds, pleasant if uninformed staff, great view if you are on that side (otherwise it is of the large supermarket).

Cons: Not good work space if you need that, poor lighting in the room, intermittent internet access, no pleasant useful outdoor space. Poor signage -The street you have turn on has no city street sign (NOT the hotel’s fault), and there is no hotel sign on the main road either.

Would I stay here again? If the price were right, I remembered my headlamp (which is fine with me, if I know to bring it), and I wasn’t planning on depending my laptop much. BTW, it appears not to be handicapped accessible - a potential problem for conferences or large gatherings.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank jeleavitt

Travelers are raving about these Port Townsend hotels

Lynnwood, Washington
Reviewed May 1, 2011

I was very dissapointed with this "castle". I was so excited to take my boyfriend (for his birthday) to a fun historic hotel. It really was nothing like what I had expected. It is cute, and the inside holds some pretty ambiance, but when we drove up to it, I thought "this is it?" I know it was built a long time ago, but you wouldn't think so, it almost looked new like it had been designed to look like a castle. The buildings near by and downtown looked MUCH more unique and old.
The "water view suite" we stayed in was tiny (which was fine, I understand it is old) but it had no character at all, one picture on the wall and that was it. The bed looked like it was taken out of a 12-year-old girls room. We could hardly make out the ocean, so I should not have been charged extra as the hotel is no where near "ocean view". My boyfriend did not sleep because it was very hot so we had to have the fan on full blast, which created a lot of noise.
Didn't see or hear any ghosts either, they probably left with the character and quality of this "castle". Call it a mansion, because that is what it is!!
I am not picky, I just wanted to stay somewhere fun and different, and this was a huge dissapointment, $120 later when I could have stayed right on the beach at a cabin or bed and breakfast. Port Townsend is a wonderful, cute hotel, so please go there but don't be fooled into thinking this hotel is anything special.
The restaurant was so yummy, and the staff was nice...besides a few black floatys in my wine, loved it.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank colabella07
Oak Harbor
Reviewed April 5, 2011

Wonderful old Victorian house that is converted into a hotel. Totally fun and well worth the money to spend the night. The only problem was using the bathroom which was down the hall. The keys were old too, but it just added to the atmosphere! I had a good time and want to go again.

Room Tip: Ask for the couple special ($99 plus drinks)
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites North Sequim
Aladdin Motor Inn
Aladdin Motor Inn
#10 of 11 in Port Townsend

Been to Manresa Castle? Share your experiences!