“Best Japanese Food I Have Ever Eaten” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ichikawa Japanese Cuisine
Ranked #38 of 96 Restaurants in Port Townsend
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Seattle, Washington
“Best Japanese Food I Have Ever Eaten”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

This was the best Japanese food my husband and I have ever eaten. Don't let the unfortunate exterior in a strip mall dissuade you--the interior is beautiful, the food is very high quality and the menu is extensive. They serve Shinjo (scallop stuffed shitake.) Their tempura is extremely light and crisp. Their nigiri and roll selection is extensive. We could not have envisioned a single improvement.

• Visited July 2013

Spokane, Washington
“Incredibly good food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

We had dinner here on the advice of my niece and are VERY glad we did! It's a very unimpressive location in a little strip mall, but the food is outstanding! We had some Nigiri sushi as well as main entrees and everything was delicious. The seafood was very fresh and tasty, the sauces were delicate and flavorful and the dishes were presented very attractively. It's a smallish place, and the ambience is just ok, but the food more than makes up for it! The service was very good, too. I'm looking forward to eating here again, next time we're in town!

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Seattle
“Pretty Good for Small Town Japanese”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

We've eaten here frequently (less so since we moved from PT to Seattle) and been generally pleased. Sushi is usually very good, quite fresh. Tempura is also fine. Pleasant service, decent prices.

Visited June 2013
Renton, Washington
“Good but on the pricey side”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

April 10, 2013
My food was very good. I had the chicken kaarage & gyoza. It was delicious. My husband on the other hand ordered the chicken teriyaki bowl. It was not what we expected. The rice was inundated with sauce. He picked thru it and ate just the chicken. I shared my dinner with him. The waitress was very friendly. The hostess could have been a little more friendlier. My kids even noticed. And where was the traditional "irrashaimase" greeting when we walked thru the door?

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IchikawaInPT, Owner at Ichikawa Japanese Cuisine, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for your comments, Judy. I'm sorry the Chicken Teriyaki Rice Bowl wasn't what you expected, but every Japanese restaurant has its own style and ours may be different from those in your area.

We cook the chicken and vegetables in the teriyaki sauce and then present it poured over the rice, some places drizzle a thicker sauce version over the top afterward. We are happy to modify our standard preparations whenever possible, so if you have the opportunity to visit again please ask and we'll try to meet your expectations.

We've had great success with this dish over the years with local regulars, but understand that some prefer it prepared differently and we'll always try to accommodate changes if possible. Some customers ask to have the chicken grilled or stirfried and the sauce served on the side, for instance. Can do!

As for the need for a friendlier hostess, I'll address that and try to improve guest perceptions.

Thanks again for taking the time to write and post your feedback.

Jim Switz
Managing Partner
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
“Food overpriced but good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

We spent Valentine's day dinner here and while the food was good, the three veggie rolls and the edamame appetizer we ordered ended up being over $50. I would have liked to have been more full for $50. However, the staff are friendly and overall service was good.

Visited March 2013
IchikawaPT, Owner at Ichikawa Japanese Cuisine, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review Kate and I'm glad you were happy with the food and service quality. I'll be happy to adjust your billing with a refund if you contact me (see "E-mail" above on the TripAdvisor review page or contact info at our website: Ichikawa-PT.com).

But I'm unable to explain how three vegetable rolls and an Edamame appetizer could add up to $50 as you stated. Our 8-piece Shojin vegetable roll is $7 and Edamame is $4.95 (our cucumber and avocado rolls are about $4 each). So three Shojin rolls plus Edamame would come to about $26, not $50.

Additionally, I reviewed all our guest checks from Valentine's Day and cannot find an order with three vegetarian rolls and Edamame. Our records show only two Shojin rolls, two Cucumber and two Avocado rolls were served the entire day. Perhaps you're thinking of a different day? In any case, I'll be happy to work out compensation for you once we identify the problem.

If there was a billing mistake I'd like to correct it immediately - please contact me, and thanks again for your review.

Jim Switz