Ichikawa Japanese Cuisine
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese, Seafood
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We used to spend a lot of time in Port Townsend when my parents lived there, but we haven't been there in ten years or so. We are pretty familiar with the old favorites, which are outstanding, but we were interested in trying someplace new., and sushi is a favorite with my husband.

The room is pleasant and the menu had lots of interesting choices. One person order sushi and he said it was good. Hubby ordered the seafood yakisoba and that was excellent. One ordered a seafood special in sweet chili sauce and that was very good. I made the mistake of ordering sukiyaki and it was tasty but woefully deficient in ingredients. There was no tofu, nor could I find any mushrooms. No transparent noodles. Very little cabbage. The meat ended up in little clumps. The broth was good but there was too much in relation to the few ingredients in it. I ended up bringing the broth home and I will make my own sukiyaki tomorrow.

The other disappointment was the sunumono. Three of us ordered it with Dungeness crab. I think the price was 8or 9 dollars. For that we got a small bowl with some seaweed, one cucumber slice, one piece of crab claw meat, and a few more flakes of crab. The flavors were good, but there should have been more cucumber, and a bit more crab, for that price.

IchikawaPT, Manager at Ichikawa Japanese Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Hello, thank you for taking the time to post a review of Ichikawa. I have done some checking and spoke to our chefs - although you didn't say exactly which day you came in, it shouldn't matter. We're training a new chef, and it's possible he left ingredients out of the sukiyaki (the missing items you mentioned should have been included), but that's a possible reason, NOT an excuse. There's no excuse for disappointing you like that and our trainer chef should have caught it before it was served.

As for the Sunomono, I'm afraid we're being squeezed by food costs on several items. Unagi (freshwater eel) went up 90% last year and more this year, and in the past year our cost for Dungeness Crab meat went from about $15/lb to a little over $25/lb, even though it is supposedly a plentiful season.

To keep our food costs in line so we don't lose money on the dish (and to avoid raising the price) we use a bit over 2 ounces of crab meat in the sunomono. I just checked with our sushi chef and re-measured a portion - it was 2.2 ounces so your serving should have been within our recipe spec. I wish it could be more, and it will be if costs ever return to the previous long-term levels.

In any case, if you can give me the ticket ID number on your receipt, or even just describe the date, approximate time and where you were seated, I can look it up and will be happy to issue you a refund to your credit card for these items (for security, please don't email a credit-card number; we can issue a refund without it once we know which transaction it was). If you paid cash or check I can send you a check instead if you provide a mailing address.

We try to make every customer happy every day, but once in a while we miss the goal. I'd appreciate the opportunity to make it up to you - please let me know best way to do so.

Sincerely Yours,
Jim Switz
Managing Partner

Reviewed October 6, 2012

We love it here, whether getting sushi, sashimi or tempura. Love to watch the sushi chef!!! Expensive, so wer can't eat there as much as we would like...

Reviewed July 27, 2012

We ate at this restaurant with our friends who live in town (we were visiting) and found the food and atmosphere to be very good. This is a fairly small restaurant but with an extensive menu. The food was reasonably priced for Japanese, although the portions of sushi were fairly small. I had the rib eye steak and the portion was good. This is our friends favorite restaurant in all of Port Townsend.

Reviewed July 3, 2012

The food is amazing and the sushi in particular was quite good. Though it may sound odd for a sushi restaurant, I recommend the onion rings. I haven't had onion rings in probably 10 years, but something urged me to try them. They were amazing.

The only drawback was the disconnect between such exquisite cuisine and the young, casual service. Even though we came for lunch, I felt their attire and manner a bit to informal and detached despite there being relatively few other customers in the restaurant.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

What impressed me most was that with all of the fish dishes on the menu, you did not smell fish upon entering. That's a sign of freshness! The entrees and sushi were perfectly done and the setting was comfortable.