“An Officer and A Gentleman for our 28th Anniversary”

Fort Worden State Park
More attraction details
Owner description: Stroll along beautiful beaches and explore rows of Victorian-style houses: this park has something for everyone.
Seattle, Washington
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“An Officer and A Gentleman for our 28th Anniversary”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

For our 28th anniversary we decided to do everything an Officer and a Gentleman.
So we did, the Officer and a Gentleman tour. If you're a movie buff it would be fun for you.
Since we watched the movie the night before, it looked like there might be a mistake on the map. My husband enjoyed reading more of the historical facts about the place, while I took photos of the films scene locations. Since it was close to 90 degrees this past weekend it was pretty darn hot to not carry water bottles during our hikes. Also I wore the wrong shoes for hiking. Make sure you wear tennis shoes. Not sandals with a little heel like I did, or flip flops like my hubby did. We just forgot to pack them. If you have a discovery pass, you'll need to pay .$10 cash or check for a day pass, or you can get a $91 parking ticket.
The lighthouse is closed, but we were able to walk around near it to take photos. Great views of the strait of Juan de Fuca. I think the best part was at the blue balloon hangar where the fight scene was filmed. It was closed to the public, but since there was someone still there checking things out from the concert before, she delightfully opened up the hanger for us, and gave us so background on what has become of this blue balloon hangar. It is now a concert venue! Who would've thought?! It's a company called Centrum who puts on these workshops, and concerts.
Checkout centrum.org for more details on upcoming concerts.
We spent a couple hours there. If you're a movie buff, or you just want to hang out at the beach on a hot day, this is the place to be.

P.S. some of the museums have a small fee. Other than that its free if you have a Discovery pass to park.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank AppyTalk

Olympia, Washington
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“A Beautiful Dog-Friendly State Park w/Lighthouse”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I highly recommend it for camping, hiking and picture taking at sunset. There's a lighthouse and tons of trails for your dog, and dogs are allowed on the beach and the trails, which is a welcome change from California where I couldn't go anywhere along the Redwood Coast with my dog because they are banned from the trails at the National parks and a lot of the State parks. What's a park without your dog? Useless if you ask me because my dogs are my family. Anyway, camping at Ft Worden is $37 a night, but less if you have a Discovery Pass which is $30 a year and gets you into all the State parks for free (normally $10 a day). They have free HOT showers. No more saving quarters for a five minute cold shower. The camping is on the water, so there's not that many trees, but plenty on the trails. They have a Marine Wildlife center and museums within the park, a boat launch and a store with essentials and snacks like burritos and breakfast sandwiches. And let me repeat, dogs are allowed EVERYWHERE within the park, except of course the indoor museums, and I wouldn't bring them to the cemetery, just not respectful, unless you have a service dog. Like most parks in Washington, there's hardly any people. This place is great for kids and it's in a little seaport town, Port Townsend that is known for jazz and numerous restaurants, B&Bs and coffee shops (with poetry readings). The only thing that spoiled the day were some punks in town who were fighting amongst themselves on the street, which weren't enough to ruin my mood. It's still rural Washington, and the town is touristy, but good if you want a gourmet meal and to listen to great music. If you forget the gas and need to stop there's a town along the way back, Fort Ludlow that has a nice restaurant and a Chevron station, and then there's Bremerton which has a ferry to Seattle, a hotel on the wharf and a great pizza and Italian restaurant (very cheap) on the main drag called Boston's.

Visited July 2013
Denver, Colorado, United States
109 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 99 helpful votes
“Sweet Surprise”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We took a hike up the hill to see the emplacements at Fort Worden. I'm sure kids (especially boys) would love running up and down the steps and looking out at the sea. My husband did too and it was a nice walk with a good view. The surprise was a little zen garden with lovely poetry and well chosen concrete appointments. This one is hard to describe, but a lovely little place of peace, very artfully designed, a lovely extra to a nice walk.
Camping near the beach looked like fun. The lighthouse was closed. We skipped the museum, but for buffs, it looked like fun, and there are tours and special activities several times during the year. It's a little piece of history I knew nothing about.

Visited June 2013
Seattle
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 108 helpful votes
“Just Okay”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

It served as a great location for "An Officer and a Gentleman," but it's just okay for a visit. The history is interesting, the historic buildings are maintained reasonably, etc. Why ruin the atmosphere with RV's?

Visited November 2012
Tacoma, Washington, United States
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Open for camping year round!”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We trailer camped here this spring with some friends and had a terrific time. The campsites were huge and, though there were no trees or shrubbery in our area, the sites were far enough apart to keep you from feeling like you're on top of your neighbors. During our stay, we explored the old military buildings and walked on the beach. Port Townsend is just a couple of miles away so we visited the interesting shops and sampled a variety of great restaurants. We will definitely return to camp at Fort Worden again!

Visited April 2013