“Sweet Surprise”

Fort Worden State Park
More attraction details
Owner description: Stroll along beautiful beaches and explore rows of Victorian-style houses: this park has something for everyone.
Denver, Colorado, United States
109 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 97 helpful votes
“Sweet Surprise”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We took a hike up the hill to see the emplacements at Fort Worden. I'm sure kids (especially boys) would love running up and down the steps and looking out at the sea. My husband did too and it was a nice walk with a good view. The surprise was a little zen garden with lovely poetry and well chosen concrete appointments. This one is hard to describe, but a lovely little place of peace, very artfully designed, a lovely extra to a nice walk.
Camping near the beach looked like fun. The lighthouse was closed. We skipped the museum, but for buffs, it looked like fun, and there are tours and special activities several times during the year. It's a little piece of history I knew nothing about.

Visited June 2013

Seattle
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 109 helpful votes
“Just Okay”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

It served as a great location for "An Officer and a Gentleman," but it's just okay for a visit. The history is interesting, the historic buildings are maintained reasonably, etc. Why ruin the atmosphere with RV's?

Visited November 2012
Tacoma, Washington, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Open for camping year round!”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We trailer camped here this spring with some friends and had a terrific time. The campsites were huge and, though there were no trees or shrubbery in our area, the sites were far enough apart to keep you from feeling like you're on top of your neighbors. During our stay, we explored the old military buildings and walked on the beach. Port Townsend is just a couple of miles away so we visited the interesting shops and sampled a variety of great restaurants. We will definitely return to camp at Fort Worden again!

Visited April 2013
Port Townsend, Washington
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“I think the new ranger is a little too tough on people”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We went Memorial Day to do a Memorial for my dad, walk the dog, that sort of thing. I should say I have been coming here since the 70s; to camp with my parents, to dance camp, was even there when the iconic Officer and Gentleman was being filmed on the battery. We would stay Summer's at the officers row homes, so I know every pine needle like the back of my hand.

It's nice to see new growth, they are building restrooms that aren't the 70s ones we used to have to use. On a hot day, since I live there, we will walk along the shore and hang out in the sun and have a picnic on the beach.

However, on Memorial Day, we noticed they had new staff, and he was yelling at kids for standing in what he considered the wrong places and at people with dogs, and just not a friendly guy. All the cajoling would not get him out of this mood. Maybe it was a super busy day, but a person can be friendly. Keep in mind that every person there now has to pay that stupid $10 fee; imagine if you had a wedding there, all your friends had to pay or maybe the bride and groom did, it is a joyous occasion, and you get someone yelling at your wedding guests; not cool. There is a way to be professional and not a jerk. He may not have been a ranger, may have been garbage collector, but man he had an attitude with everyone!

Visited May 2013
Courtenay, Vancouver Island, BC
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“SO worth visiting”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I'd been before, but not for a few years and went back to walk the park, the trails and the batteries again in late May. We did a thorough "check" - read all the interpretive signs, followed the map, looked at all the buildings, and played like kids in, around and over the batteries. We forgot our flashlight though, so we couldn't do a full battery exploration - next time!

Visited May 2013