“A Daily Walk with the Dog”

Fort Worden State Park
More attraction details
Owner description: Stroll along beautiful beaches and explore rows of Victorian-style houses: this park has something for everyone.
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Rain or shine...every day Fort Worden offers me a choice of walking areas and trails and views. Always something happening...I have scene a girl playing the french horn on the quad, weddings, teachers leading a string of tots on jump rope lines, folks flying kites so big they are lifted off the ground, wind surfers, kayakers...enough. Museums, exhibits, art and cultural celebrations, bike and boat races...go, live, enjoy.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

We happened upon here and were glad we did. We very much enjoyed a walk around on a beautiful Jan day. We would love to plan to return when the weather is a little more warm and are more dressed for a good walk- but we had a fantastic time even without planning to go there.
We saw all kinds of wildlife, deer, porpoises and a whale of some kind, otters- amazing.
It would be a great place to stay over- there are facilities to rent to stay over. There are nice facilities and plenty available.
Only thing I will warm is we drove all over and never saw a sign indicating there is a fee to visit the park. Its $10 and although you can pay after entering, its not like some areas where you pass through a paid entrance. We were not treated very friendly when a ranger noted we had not paid. I think there could be more signage indicating this- infect where you pay is off to the side- not even the main area of where you would drive.
Its well worth the fee just I am still rolling my eyes at the thought of being scolded to do something I would have never noticed to do. We were happy to pay but upon questioning it- we were told- its simply common knowledge. HUM…
Ok back to positive-- it’s a great way to spend an afternoon. We went on a sunny day but very cold. If the weather was better we would have spent the whole day.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great setting. Exhibits interesting and grounds nicely kept up.. Would certainly go back with the family.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Nice and neat and full of surprises. Always a delight to visit for whatever the reason, if it be just a drive through this little park.
Fun over the years playing hide-n-seek in the old fort ruins. Digging the best clay on the side of a cliff (is that okay?) to beach combing, etc. etc. and great conference building where one year I meant John Glen the retired moon man!

Reviewed January 19, 2013

I've visited this place many times. And it is free and open to the public. The park is 434 acres with many old military buildings and fortifications from the 1890’s which were built as a WWII Coastal Defense system to help guard the entrance of Puget Sound. Fort Casey, Fort Flagger, Fort Hayden (near Port Angeles), Admiralty Head, and Fort Ward are other such fortifications along the St. of Juan De Fuca and Puget Sound. Fort Warden is one of the three which created the “Triangle of Fire” and is different among the list with its many old buildings and a Blimp hangar (which are available for rent). The old Officer housing, Enlisted Housing, Dormitories, Barracks, USO, Theater, Castle and Pavilion are also available varying in cost and amenities between $29 to $572. The Canteen or “Commons” in the Fort has been renovated and hosts a bunch and Dinner service on selected dates normally holidays varying between $11-$16, and can also be rented itself. Fort Warden is also the location for such events as Music Festivals, Marathons, and location of a small Marine Sceince Center on the dock. The Fort becomes more interesting in recognizing it as the backdrop from the movie; “An Officer and a Gentleman”. But for me and my family the main attraction in the park is the old bunkers down on the beach near the light house. They bring a childlike curiosity and fun for the whole family to wander through the maze of corridors and dark hallways. The trees surrounding this area have been shaped by the ocean wind and bring on even a more mystical fun feeling to the environment. If you come here and venture thru the bunkers a flashlight is a must, and I recommend you have one for each person! The dark hallways are thin and can be long and scary for small children, and at times it can be muddy. If you’re into hiking and adventurous there are trails going up the hillside into the woods to many ‘hidden’ bunkers scattered across the high bluff overlooking the sound. And although you can see where the cannons used to be placed they are no longer here, but I believe it was Fort Flagger that still has an original cannon on static display? Fort Warden itself is a neat place to visit but what makes a trip worth it, is to also visit the Victorian charm that the city of Port Townsend has to offer. This is a coastal city, so keep in mind it can be brisk and cold at times!