“Great Place to Relax!”
Review of Old Consulate Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Townsend
Old Consulate Inn
Ranked #4 of 16 Port Townsend B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Redmond, Washington
“Great Place to Relax!”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This is our second stay at the Old Consulate Inn in port townsend and we will return!
The InnKeepers are thoughtful and have just the right touch with regard to how much interaction you want. For me this is important as I go there to "get away" from my busy life. The rooms are great--but small because it's a Victorian house. There is plenty of room in the house to find for a quiet spot to read and relax. We usually spend a lot of time roaming around port townsend, but when we desired to hang around the room and just relax, it was possible to do so.
The Breakfasts were amazing! You'll be skipping lunch! Honestly, just go for the breakfasts!
Seriously, great place to relax and have a good weekend.

Room Tip: Room #1, the master suite is the largest with your own huge bathroom complete with a clawfoot tub fo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I were warmly greeted by one of the owners, Cindy, and their adorable dog, Ursa. The B&B was beautifully decorated and we were invited to enjoy cookies, tea, coffee and hot cocoa anytime of day in the common area, which offered many books. The room was clean and breakfast was so good. Cindy told us the WiFi password would be in the room, but when we got to the room late that night, it wasn't. Even tho she told us to call her anytime, we felt it was tovlate, so we didn't. When we told her about it the next morning, she apologized and gave us the password.
To sum it up, we thought this was a nice B&B, but these were the negatives:
1. We had to park on the street
2. We were told when breakfast would be served vs. when we would like to eat (I'd never experienced this, which made us feel rushed instead of on vacation.)
3. The town clock chimed hourly, as in ALL night long. My ear plugs didn't help a bit and it sounded like the clock was right outside of our room, even tho the window was closed.

• Stayed May 2013
4 Thank flygirl59
Nathan B, Owner at Old Consulate Inn, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
We are very sorry you were disappointed. We work hard to offer a great experience to each guest and things like the missing wifi password are unfortunate, albeit easily rectified. As a B&B in an historical community rather than a conventional hotel, we have limitations along with extraordinary opportunities. We are aware of - even share - your concerns (i.e. on-street parking, breakfast at 9, and the county courthouse clock). We list them all in our policies both online and in every confirmation email - so hopefully they didn't come as a surprise.

There's little we can say for the clock. It's been ringing for more than a century. It's part of the character of the town and in two years we've had only one guest for whom it was a serious issue. Now two. Sad it cost you a night's sleep.

The breakfast schedule deserves a little explanation. When we bought the Old Consulate two years ago we offered a buffet from 8:30-10: Cheeses and meats, scones, muesli, fresh fruit. few ate it and we threw away a LOT of food. Almost everyone came down AT 9, when we started the hot breakfast. What's more, without timed seating Cindy was limited to the menu of a short-order cook. With a timed breakfast she can offer gourmet breakfasts including soufflés and strata, quiches and eggs benedict all of which take time to prepare and need seated guests. Our returning guests agreed that the breakfast was worth a wakeup call.

So there are a few thoughts about your perfectly valid complaints. Port Townsend is an extraordinary destination and we love sharing our home and town with our guests. While we aspire to delight everyone, it's inevitable some will prefer a different locale or a more conventional hotel.

Nathan and Cindy
Auburn, Washington, United States
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Our stay was fantastic; Our room was the master suite; Service was perfect; Breakfasts very nutritious but portion a little small; Pool table unusable (if you must play); Whale watching close. There is no swimming pool.

Room Tip: Master Suite was perfect. Clock-tower was not an issue.
Granite Bay, California
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed here one night midweek. I didn't reserve ahead of time and wanted to see the water. Also, I wanted to be in one of the amazing old homes in PT. Incredible architecture.

The house itself is stunning.

i stayed on the third floor in an attic-type room. It was functional, though, I felt, a bit pricey for the small size of window and small amount of room. However, I chose it, so I knew what I was getting. The bed was really luscious and comfortable and I swam all night in a blissful sea of dreamless sleep. It was noisy from traffic on the road below, which is rather a main road in the town.

Breakfast was awesome! So delicious! The furnishings of this home are tasteful, in a Victorian way, even to a modern eye.

I'd have liked to hang out a little bit later than the 11:00 check out time, and made use of the common rooms, but for some reason I felt that I wasn't welcome, as I was met on the stairs at promptly 11:05 by the management coming up to fetch me. It was a rainy morning and I'd have liked to have somewhere to sit and read or file my photos on my laptop.

They might be doing renovations, which I understand might be a reason for this promptness, but it wasn't explained to me, so I felt pushed out a bit.

Overall, my experience was great! I recommend you go! The giant suite on the second floor is stunning, if you can get it. I did have a couple of complaints with the property, but they were outweighed by positives. Like super yummy food! An incredibly comfy bed with excellent sheets! A water view! One of the most stunning buildings in town! Really tasteful decor that transported me to another time! Helpful staff! A super cute house dog named Ursa! Lovely gardens and a wraparound porch! Yay!

Room Tip: Second floor suite is awe-inspiring. Third floor dormer isn't worth the tiny view with all the r...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank livinator
Nathan B, Owner at Old Consulate Inn, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Actually, I think I met you on the stairs because I, not you, had to leave - we are so far from any larger stores that several times a month I make the trek to the big city. I have to leave promptly at 11am to get back before 3pm when our next guests arrive. I am sorry that the hurry in my life spilled over into your enjoyment. Actually quite a number of guests stay longer in the library or parlor or the garden. Since we only have 4 hours to completely turn around 8 rooms plus clean the parlor, library and dining room, we really need to ask that you vacate the guest rooms - but the rest of the house is still open. Thank you so much for the lovely review... I'll try to slow down!
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I were delighted with our stay at the beautiful Victorian home that is the Old Consulate Inn in Port Townsend. Cindy and Nathan are gracious, efficient hosts whose breakfasts are expertly done--delicious--and whose recommendations about places to eat and shop are flawless and whose grounding in the history, lore, and even current events in and about Port Townsend are interesting and helpful. Our room was beautiful, and the inn is welcoming, clean, well-run. We recommend this inn to all who are charmed by a beautiful house and setting and efficient, gracious hosts.

North Bend, Washington, United States
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Our stay at the Old Consulate Inn was our first B&B experience. I can honestly say every expectation I had was not just met, it was exceeded. Nathan and Cindy go out of their way to make every guest feel like royalty and they do it with finesse. They dress in period costumes and are more than willing to give you the history of the house. When we arrived, we were met on the porch by Cindy, Nathan, and Urse the dog. We were led into the house and even before check in began, we were offered refreshments. We were encouraged to explore the entire house and treat it as if we lived there. It was like being able to touch all the exhibits in an immaculately furnished museum. Both mornings we were there, we were treated to wonderful conversation with Nathan in the library while sipping coffee. The three course breakfasts that Cindy prepares are exquisite! We stayed in the Master Suite and had a wonderful view of the water, the mountains and a lighthouse. There were bath salts that smelled of soft lavender for use in the claw footed tub in the bathroom in the room. There was a cozy sitting room in one of the turrets of the room. My husband surprised me with wine, roses and chocolates that Cindy and Nathan procured and arranged beautifully in the room before we arrived. I've never felt so pampered while staying at a hotel. We are already planning our next stay!

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 3, 2013

My husband and I had the true pleasure of staying at the Old Consulate Inn on April 13, 2013. I had found there website by somewhat of an accident and thought the home was lovely in the pictures. Since we were spending a week in the area, I decided we should drive over for a day and check out the town and stay in the Tower Suite. We hadn't originally planned to visit Port Townsend, but who could resist such a charming place? It turned out to be one of the best accidents of my life! I have never met two people who poured more of there heart into what they do. Every detail, every experience was perfect. When we arrived, (an hour late due to my own negligence, as usual) we were greeted with smiles, warmth and fresh baked cookies! Knowing we had driven from Victoria B.C. to La Push and back to Port Townsend in one day, they immediately helped us with our luggage, accommodated our late arrival with ease and offered us rest in the sitting room with a lovely tea and coffee selection. Intrigued by the house, we asked Cindy and Nathan about the town and home, and they told us stories and answered all our questions without hesitation. What an amazing history! Cindy and Nathan even dressed in period style clothing from the late 1890's and early 1900's to give you the whole experience. We stayed in the Tower Suite, which has a king size bed, old claw foot tub, and a lovely separate sitting room with windows all around for the most beautiful views of the town! They turned down our beds and gave fresh chocolate truffles, and my husband and I sat in the sitting room and looked out over the bay until the sun went down. The best part of the room.....the SOAP!!!! They use Townsend Bay Soap Company products....a product I was unaware even existed until this moment. It is homemade bath/body products made right there in Port Townsend and was the perfect touch! I bought some the next day, and have since ordered enough for my home and all my families home here in Texas. They also have a full billiard room down in the basement and it's a must!! If you don't have time to play pool or a game of Monopoly on the vintage table, at least do down and check it out. It's like it's straight out of a book or something. The breakfast was incredible!! Fresh fruit, fresh squeezed OJ and coffee, followed by eggs benedict that was to die for, and then they finished with a homemade bread pudding that melts in your mouth! We sat around the large dining table with the other guests and had an amazing time. One night was too short for this B&B....we will be going back and staying for several days just so we can take it all in!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Tower Suite and will definitely be staying in that room again!! But it is up sever...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple