“Mispresentation - don't go!”
Review of Tides Inn

Tides Inn
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Port Townsend
A TripAdvisor Member
“Mispresentation - don't go!”
Reviewed September 12, 2004

Their misrepresentation ruined our trip to the area with our two young sons.
Misleading advertising, classic bait and switch and their knowing we had no choice but to acquiesce to their illegal manoeuvres resulted in our having to accept the inferior room at a higher cost than advertised. This ruined our vacation in the area. The facts are:

1.We reviewed their website, which features pictures of new remodelled rooms, and makes the statement that “All rooms have been remodelled”
2.We phoned for reservations, requested a one bedroom suite as there were four in our party, were told they were nice new rooms, and booked at a rate of $140 per night.
3.Upon arrival, we were given keys to No. 12, one of which was not even the key to the suite. That suite as they know, is aged, is musty, has not been remodelled since it’s original conception many moons ago, and sports a ‘Magic Fingers’ bed from who knows how many years ago.
4.Upon our stating this is not what we ordered, we were told, after being stared at blankly like we didn’t exist, that we could have a new room, at a higher price.
5.This new room did not have a one bedroom suite, it was a double room.
6.We were told we could only have it if we paid a higher price than the $140, $160, and if we wanted it on the next night, being a Friday when nothing else would be available, the price would rise by another $60.
7.Being we were there with our 2 young sons, in from Calgary, Canada with no knowledge of the area, and wanting to have a vacation rather than a fight, we had no choice to acquiesce to this illegal and heavy handed tactic and utilize the inferior room at the higher cost.
8.This resulted in a stressful and unpleasant visit to the Port Townsend area.

18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Reviewed May 30, 2004

The hotel from the internet looks beautiful. Unfortuanately only the older part of the hotel was available. The beds were rock hard, both my husband and I were very sore the following day. The deck was falling apart and the blind by the "bathtub" spa on the deck was falling apart into the tub. The plumbing had a hard time draining, the phone did not work and the hotel had no extra towels anywhere. We were very disappointed.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Port Townsend hotels

Reviewed June 21, 2003

There are two sets of rooms in this hotel. The old section is like a motel 6 with an Ocean View. You get what you pay for. If your going to visit the Tides Inn you MUST spend the extra money and get one of the Hot Tub Suites! My GOD! They are awsome. HUGE hot tub, Gas fireplace, private deck right on the water, huge bay window with a great view of the ocean. Go into town and go the the wine shop before you jump into the hot tub, then cool off in the buff on the patio (When it's dark of course) and watch the ships go by in the dark. Winter is the best deal.
It's still over $150, but worth every penny!

• Stayed January 2003
20 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 15, 2003

My husband and I stay at the Tides Inn at least 3 times a year. The rooms are excellent along with the staff. Be prepared for a long night of romance at the Tides Inn, I know we do everytime!

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 9, 2003

The Tides Inn was definately the right choice for my husband and I. Even though it wasn't out honeymoon we stayed in the honeymoon suite, room 112. It was everthing and more than I expected. With luxuries like in room Jacuzzi, gas fireplace, huge king size bed with duvet cover, not to mention the fabulous view. We were in heaven. Now The Tides Inn has two sides one is the older version, you may remember from the movie "Officer and a gentleman", so if you are curious of what the inside looks like rent the movie. Believe me nothing has changed since the filming. The newer side is what I highly recommend to all my friends & family interested in visiting the area. It's clean and has no musty smell like some victorian hotels in the area. My husband and I spent most of our time in the Jacuzzi with the blinds open gazing outside at the beautiful, star filled night sky. We did venture out for a bite to eat and a few drinks a local resturant called The Surf, but returned shortly after when we started to realize how much fun we were missing in the room. When you stay here don't forget to leave your blinds up, because the sunrise is something you DO NOT want to miss. There's just something about waking up to a magnificint setting like this that has made my husband and I want to return every few monthes. After watching the sunrise we had a complementary breakfast and enjoyed a long walk on the beach, which is right out front. We very much enjoy it every time we stay. The staff is very helpfull, and polite, and that is why we recommend The Tides Inn 100%.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 9, 2002

Walls so thin I got to know my neighbors and follow their movie, and felt like I was camping on the highway (Water St.); plumbing that groaned explosively whenever anyone in the building showered or flushed a toilet; an old electric heater that sounded like a plane taking off every half-hour; no heat in the second "luxury" room; leaky faucets; hard beds and cheap, boxy pillows; no microwave or pots and pans: this was the biggest ripoff hotel experience I've ever had. In fact almost every $5 a night room I've stayed in in the third world has beat this. The beach is some consolation, but it's hard to enjoy when you're sleep-deprived. If you're looking for rest, choose a different accommodation.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
#4 of 11 in Port Townsend
Aladdin Motor Inn
Aladdin Motor Inn
#8 of 11 in Port Townsend

Been to Tides Inn? Share your experiences!