“Quirky, great location, right in the shopping district”

Palace Hotel Port Townsend
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Port Townsend
Kenmore, Washington
“Quirky, great location, right in the shopping district”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Very interesting design, quirky décor. Here are a few things you should know, right off the bat: don't try to book a room from the online website. It shoots you to a third-party place that does not have up-to-date listings for availability. Call the hotel directly (360) 385-0773. Some of the rooms are rumored to be haunted. We didn't hear anything during our stay. The third floor front rooms (#s 11, 12, 14) are the only ones with water views and there are 60 (yes, sixty), stairs to the third floor, as all floors have very high ceilings. My sister was in #14 and enjoyed her view room. No elevator. No air conditioning. Those same water view rooms are listed as having kitchenettes. Warning: there are no plates, no silverware, just two mugs, but a sponge and dish detergent are provided, which implies that staff doesn't wash those cups before you check-in, and you'd better hope the people before you are clean types. I had Miss Kitty (#11), which is a huge corner room and just lovely. The bathroom is huge and nicely appointed. The shower was great (the towels were well worn, though) and the sheets are fabulous, although the mattress sags somewhat. It's on the pricier side of this hotel property, and here's why I think the room price should be reduced if the adjoining room is also rented: there is a connecting door to the next room (#10 - no bathroom, don't say I didn't warn you) and you'd better pray the people are quiet. The first night I stayed here there was a family with a young child. This kid shrieked almost continuously between 3 and 6 in the morning. I tried earplugs, but they were insufficient and I just gave up at 5. The next night there was only one person and she turned off her tv by 11, so that was much better. There is a large lounging area on each floor and what's interesting is that people can tour the property (there's an open house sign in front) as long as no guests have already checked into their rooms. So, bring a pad of paper and mark down your favorite rooms for a future visit. I'm marking my sleep quality as average only because of the adjoining room problems. We toured most of the rooms during the two days we were there and most are just lovely and quite large. The ones on the parking lot were equipped with real kitchens (at least the two we saw on the second floor). This hotel does not provide even a continental breakfast, I guess the "kitchenettes" are supposed to suffice, but you'll need to visit the Mercantile just down the street to buy paper plates and plastic ware. This is a great location and parking is free for guests. Just leave your car and immerse yourself in the downtown experience. For breakfast, Better Living Through Coffee and The Lighthouse Café are kitty-corner from the hotel and both open around 8 a.m.

Room Tip: The third floor front is quieter and the water views with the ferries going back and forth are reall...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Wave R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
seattle, wa
Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

Nice to stay in a non-chain hotel. Sweet surroundings, period-perfect and made the quaint town more memorable than simply a stage with a chain hotel backdrop.

Loved it. Good service. Note, there is no airconditioning, only impactful for stays in July, Aug, Sept. There are fans available and you are on the water, but as the hotel is 2 floors above ground level, and heat rises, comfort can be compromised.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank donna3
Kent, Washington, United States
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

I love the hominess and comfort of the palace hotel. I also love the fact that it is a dog friendly hotel. It is cool to see all the dogs coming and going! From the minute we check in I feel so at home. Great location! Smell the ocean air from your open window! Shopping galore! Heaven across the water!:-) can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2013
Ashland, Oregon
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Want to know what it feels to live in the Victorian era by the port in Old Port Townsend? This is the place--great view from Miss Lily's Suite. Felt like we had gone back in time. Desk people were friendly and helpful. But was it hot in the room . . . and it had nothing to do with Miss Lily's profession. Thankfully the desk gave us an extra fan to help. Wish there had been better ventilation though.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AlaskansinOR
Spokane Valley, Washington, United States
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I did a long weekend around the coast so we only had one night here at the Palace but we were wishing it was several at least! The old architecture is fantastic and we were very comfy in the bed. The modern and clean bathroom was very nice as well. TJ was at the desk and he was very nice to make a recommendation to us for coffee and dessert at the Silverwater restaurant around the corner. We had a short but lovely time and can't wait to come back again!!

Room Tip: We stayed in 7b and the ghost visited our room in the middle of the night and jiggled the door knob...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Ever since my first trip with my daughters, this has become a favorite spot for a weekend getaway. Each room is uniquely decorated and cozy and reasonably priced compared with other historic gems in the area. The larger rooms with kitchens have everything you could possibly need including flatware and pots and pans; these are by far my favorite.

The staff are welcoming and accommodating. The first night, the girls peppered them with questions about the history of the hotel and chatted up a storm (my youngest is particularly prone to long bouts of story-telling to any adult with ears). Now they know some staff by name and hugs are traded round when we arrive.

The best part is It is located in the heart of everything. Our favorite shops and restaurants are a short walk away.

I've been to other hotels in Port Townsend, but because of it's uniqueness and super staff, we've become quite loyal to the Palace Hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Granite Bay, California
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed here for my first night ever in Port Townsend. I didn't know what to expect from the town, but once I arrived, I realized that staying downtown in an historic building would add a lot to the memory of my first visit.

The building is kind of amazing as it opens up. The innkeeper was really nice and let me wander around to choose a room, which I loved. Part of the experience is seeing the whole building. I chose a room on the third floor, though some of the second floor rooms were enticingly comfortable, especially Miss Laney. I felt that the value for the price was very good. The rooms are all tasteful and comfortable, and many have interesting bathrooms.

My room was enormous and had a great view of the ferry docks through wavy, original panes of glass. Love! I was very comfortable, aside from the tiny bit of heebie-jeebies I get sometimes staying in creaky old places by myself.

If you are looking for Best Western-type sterility and convenience, you will be disappointed. If you are looking for century-old charm, originality, location, and a quirky memory from a unique town, you won't be sorry here. I stayed on a Monday night, so I can't speak to the quietness of the place. However, the seagulls kept waking me up...but that's probably one night out of my life that it's happened that way, so I'm not complaining.

What an amazing spot!

Room Tip: Third floor rooms have a great view of the ferry docks and the harbor. Loud seagull noise, though.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
#4 of 11 in Port Townsend
Aladdin Motor Inn
Aladdin Motor Inn
#9 of 11 in Port Townsend

Been to Palace Hotel Port Townsend? Share your experiences!