“In the middle of the all the wonderful!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Townsend
The Washington Hotel
Ranked #6 of 16 Port Townsend B&B and Inns
Baker City, Oregon, United States
“In the middle of the all the wonderful!”
Reviewed August 13, 2014

We are currently staying in room 2. It has a spacious bedroom and sitting room with a love seat, refrigerator, and comfy chair. The bathroom is extra large and the 2 queen beds seem bigger than queens! The dresser is filled with coffee, mugs, and all the extras. When we arrived on Monday, there was a fan bringing in the cool breeze from the water and quiet music playing. It is located on the back side of Water Street and it is a quiet street so you can have the windows open. There is no air conditioning but the nights cool down. Marilou is great and we got to meet her this morning. thanks!!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
accommodations, Manager at The Washington Hotel, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Hello

I want to Thank you for your awesome review of Suite #2. It is very large and open to accommodate up to five people, using the twin sleeper in the separate sitting room.

Just a handful of businesses have air conditioning in Port Townsend, we find it is not necessary.
We have maybe a week spread over the season that we might want to have it, but opening the windows and having a fan seems to work.

Being on Washington Street rather than Water Street is quieter at night with street noise.

It was a pleasure meeting your family during your visit. I hope to hear from you again soon, bring that wonderful family back and stay with us!

Marilou

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We came as a group of friends, visiting Port Townsend for a college reunion, and stayed in Suite 4. This worked really well for us: There were three interconnecting rooms, two with double beds, one with a twin, and it felt as if we were back in our dorm rooms again, possibly because it was closer to a serviced apartment than a hotel.

Best things about The Washington: 1) The location. You're right downtown, but not on the busy 'strip', so you can walk everywhere and there are plenty of restaurants and stores nearby, as well as the harbor, etc. 2) The beds. These were incredibly comfy and roomy enough for friends to share. 3) The door code rather than keys - meant we didn't have to worry about having enough to go round or losing one. 4) The price, which was very reasonable.

Potential downsides: 1) There's no onsite reception, so if you need to get hold of cleaning or management, it means a phone call which may or may not get answered. If it's not, you leave a message to be called back, but does mean there may not be an instant solution. 2) The seagulls, but can't really fault the hotel for this! Just mentioning that they do a lot of squawking first thing in the morning as it's so close to the harbor.

Overall though, I thought this was a great place to stay and if I were traveling through again, I'd definitely return.

Room Tip: Only stayed in Suite 4, which worked well for a group of friends.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
accommodations, Manager at The Washington Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Hello

Thank you for your review of the hotel.

Yes, it was very obvious to us that you ladies were having a reunion of college life.

I only received one phone call concerning more paper products that was brought down and actually never used. We are very close to the location of the hotel and always available to act upon requests.

Its great to hear that you liked staying at the hotel and will recommend it to family and friends.

Perhaps you will again visit Port Townsend as a group and stay with us!

Seattle
Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my family. The location was great. We had Suite 2 and it worked out great for us. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. There was no view - just a few small windows - but there was a leafy tree in front of the main window so it was nice to see some greenery. My friend stayed at a different hotel and she had a parking lot view, so I considered myself lucky. The decor of the room was cute, colorful and modern. There was no closet, but that did not matter to us as we only stayed a night. The bathroom was spacious, so we liked that. The only issue we had was that our parking spot in the hotel lot was taken by someone else and we could not park there. There were already 4 cars parked there, so either someone brought two cars or someone other than the hotel guest had parked there. I called Marilou and was advised to park on the street. Luckily that worked out as there were plenty of spots available. She called me the following morning to check on my parking situation. She obviously cares about her customers and that made me feel better. I would consider staying there again. Having said that, I think it would be nice if they could come up with a system to ensure a parking spot for every guest in case the town is busy with tourists, but perhaps what happened to me was a rare thing. Overall, it's a nice hotel and I would recommend it to anyone who is not set on having a view of the water.

Stayed July 2014
Hello

I like that you sent a review of your stay at the Washington Hotel.

You mentioned the parking: We are very lucky to have the parking that we do have available for our guests. If everyone would pay attention to how they park would be even better for everyone. A few times, I have had guests have visitors taking up an extra parking spot which creates a problem for incoming guests, bu normally the parking works well for all.

I'm glad it worked out for you to park on the street, it is very safe in Port Townsend to do so. I always recommend locking vehicles and never leave anything noticeable of value in the car.

Thank you again, and I hope you do return to us soon!

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 29, 2014

This hotel has nice beds. The rooms are quite dark with small windows and are accessed only by a very narrow steep corridor. They work fine if you won't be spending time in your room. I stayed for one night while on a business trip. I called again to book a year later and due to the loose structure of the reservation system my room was never booked. Ask up front for a billing and a confirmation or you will get lost in the obviously busy manager's email system. My room was not available when I called to confirm after not hearing from the manager.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jomoniz
accommodations, Manager at The Washington Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
As I explained to you in emails, you did not follow through with a reservation after I quoted availability and cost.

As an accommodation property manager, I cannot assume people who make an inquiry and even respond positively will actually make a reservation until a credit card, mailing address, email and phone number is provided. In this case, I confirmed availability, but the ball was in your court to provide that info, which you did not do. It took you 21 days from that initial contact to ask if a reservation had been made. This is summer in a tourist town and by that point the availability had changed.

The reservation process for this hotel is interactive, and personal. In eight years of doing business I have never double-booked, or lost a reservation.

Your negative comments of the hotel: While I understand that you are upset about not being able to get a reservation during a busy time of year, you did stay with us last year, and provided no negative feedback after that visit. The overwhelming number of guest comments on TripAdvisor confirm the Washington Hotel to be a clean, quality venue with more personal attention than almost any other place in Port Townsend.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 29, 2014

My friend and I started our tour of the Pacific Northwest with a quick stay in Port Townsend at the Washington Hotel. We were reserved in room 1 but the owner left a note on the door switching us to room 4 which was larger. There were no other guests the two nights we stayed there, happy for us but sad for the hotel because it really is a great place. Easy parking in the back, quick entry with no additional check in, comfy beds and spacious bath. The room didn't have a view but we were outside most of the time.

Caveat - Not recommended for people with disabilities or difficulty climbing stairs as there is a steep staircase right at the doorway to get to the rooms.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Hello

Your review of the hotel is wonderful, Thank You!

You were moved from Suite 1 to Suite 4 due to a guest who was checking out that day was not feeling quite well and wanted to rest for a while before traveling. I can make allowances for guests when we don't have a full house and very happy to do so.

Oh yes, stairs in Port Townsend. There are only 15 steps compared to some hotels with a few more flights of stairs to take. They help keep me in shape! I am always willing to help with luggage!

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and will be visiting again!

West University Place, Texas
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We stayed here as a family of four, with two young children, for one night we spent in Port Townsend. The room (number 2) was great: very nicely appointed, very clean, and very spacious. My oldest child, who's eight, was initially skeptical given the lack of the traditional lobby and amenities when we first walked in to the building but lit up when she saw the room. The location is fantastic and allows you to easily explore most of what there is to see in Port Townsend on foot. The dedicated parking is a little tight, but I think that overnight street parking is allowed after 5PM. The only cautionary items I would mention are that there is no staff on-site 24/7 and all the rooms are on a second floor with no elevator. Nevertheless, we loved our stay there and will definitely look to stay there again next time we're in Port Townsend.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Hi!

I want to Thank you for your review of the Washington Hotel.

I agree with you, if I didn't live here and visited I would look for something such as this hotel to have easy access to all of what Port Townsend has to offer within walking distance.

Hearing that your daughter loved the room, gave her a lasting positive memory of Port Townsend. We love to hear that from our guests!

There isn't staff 24/7 that it is no different than a cottage or cabin rental. I live close and my phone is on 24/7 to meet the needs of our guests.

Parking is tight for four guest vehicles, that is why we say limited. Overnight street parking is quite acceptable and very safe.

I look forward to hearing from you again soon for your return visit.

Take care and enjoy the rest of your summer!

Seattle
Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

This place is great! I stayed here with a friend for a writing conference. We were in suite 4 which had 2 separate bedrooms and a sitting room with a daybed and a small fridge. The rooms a lovely and are a nice alternative if you don't want to be knee-deep in the Victorian style that is pervasive in Port T. Its location is unbeatable. We went down a flight of stairs and were within blocks of everything. It meant we didn't move the car for the time we were there and just walked all over. Am thinking of excuses to go back!

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank LeslieOSeattle
Hello,

Thank you for your review of the Washington Hotel! You were delightful to work with and I am happy that you enjoyed your stay.

Suite #4 is quite large and can host a family of five very nicely. The location of the hotel is perfect to enjoy all of the downtown and uptown areas.

I hope you do contact me again for another visit very soon, would love to see you!