“Great value, modern furnishings, pretty good experience.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Townsend
The Washington Hotel
Ranked #6 of 16 Port Townsend B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 2, 2012

First of all, I can't deny that it was a great deal. We had two bedrooms for $120 /night for three nights. The rooms were clean, the furnishings modern and the beds were comfortable, though pretty high up for kids. The pillows were really soft; it would have been nice to have the option of firm pillows too, as some hotels do. It is not a hotel, really, but more of a vacation rental property. There is no lobby or staff or pool. You can get your towels switched out, and sometimes the glasses and coffeemaker are cleaned, and sometimes not.

The biggest issue I had was that there is no air conditioning and no screens on the windows, which are very hard to open. The room was warm, with no cross-ventilation, and we didn't really want to leave the windows wide open while we were gone. (Birds, break-ins). So it was really hard to get the room cooled off, even though Port Townsend itself was pleasantly cool. Being on the second floor, with the windows open, you're privy to every conversation that happens beneath your window. And every motorcycle that roars by.

I don't know if we would stay there again. The location was excellent, off the beaten path, but a block from the main street. There don't seem to be a lot of modern options in PT, as it is a Victorian village, so I imagine most of the hotels have all the issues with old buildings. The hotel had a definite musty smell, but the rooms were a lot more modern than I would expect to find.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
accommodations, Manager at The Washington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

Hello
Thank you for your positive review of the hotel of being clean and comfortable and a good value. I agree, we need air conditioning in Port Townsend for maybe 5 days each year which doesn't justify the cost of having it placed. I do place fans in all of the bedrooms for added comfort. The maid must have been interrupted to have missed cleaning the coffee cups, this is always done on a daily basis. When it was apparent that a small child was in the room, we placed a child size chair in the sitting area and step stool in the bathroom for their ease of reaching the sink and climbing into bed. The windows are due to be replaced, hopefully soon. Having a small hotel with only four mini suites takes longer for complete renovation. As far as the "musty" smell, I have never had such a comment, we do get the aromas of the nearby restaurants or perhaps a guest cooked something in the microwave and it was blocked in the hallway area. I hope that you do find yourself once again in the area and stay with us.
Take care and safe travels to you and your family.

Reviewed July 20, 2012

The Washington Hotel provided the perfect rest stop on our cycling trip of the San Juan Islands. It is clean, comfortable, and well located in Townsend within a few paces of great restaurants,shopping,coffee, bakeries and bike shops.Marylou,the manager, and her husband Patrick (editor of the local paper) we're extremely helpful and accommodating.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
accommodations, Manager at The Washington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2012

Hello,

Patrick and I both enjoyed hearing about your great adventure by bikes and being a part of making it a success was our pleasure.
Thank you for your wonderful review of your recent stay in Port Townsend. It is a great location for those of you traveling by bike to our area. Providing a locked location for your bikes overnight gives you security knowing that they are safely locked up. Our location in the heart of the downtown area is the perfect place to relax and walk to all of the venues downtown and uptown. I hope that you four will venture once again to our town and perhaps have more time to explore!

Thank you again and I look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

Marilou of the Washington Hotel went well beyond her job description to assist us in arriving at her quaint establishment. The location was excellent, the rooms homey.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

Hilda, It was my pleasure to meet you and your three traveling friends from Canada! I want to Thank you for your wonderful review of the room. I know that you were all very comfortable staying at the Hotel with a secure location for your bikes over night.
I hope that you will come again and stay at the Washington Hotel, perhaps next time, you will have more time to truly enjoy staying in the heart of downtown. Everything is so conveniently located and not having a car, it is a perfect location.

Take Care and I hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 16, 2012

We stumbled upon this cute little getaway, and were glad we did. Very cute, clean, and had a great location. Marilou was a pleasure to work with, too.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
accommodations, Manager at The Washington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

I was happy to hear that you found the Hotel by searching the web looking for accommodations in Port Townsend.after arriving that day. It was by luck that I had a room available that met your expectations of a comfortable, quiet and conveniently located place to enjoy downtown Port Townsend.
Thank you for your excellent review and I hope to have you stay with us again soon!

Reviewed July 8, 2012

I enjoyed the Washington Hotel. I am a minimalist so I didn't need all the regular amenities that come with the traditional hotel experience. The building had character and charm. The art on the walls in the rooms was unique. The photos in the hallways were cool. I would say the only negative thin was the antique couch in the sitting area of our room, hard an uncomfortable. Will definitely return to the Washington hotel again next time in Port Towsend.

• Stayed: July 2012

I would like to Thank you for your excellent review for the Washington Hotel. I truly appreciate your input on the Antique Couch. It was something that was available when the new owner took possession of the hotel and we placed it in the room temporarily. I have actually began my search for a replacement this week with a sofa sleeper to add even more flexibility for families traveling. I hope to see you back again and let me know what you think of the new couch!
Take Care and please give me a call the next time you find yourself in the area!

Reviewed June 30, 2012

My bride of 43 years, and I stayed on a Thursday & Friday night. Our room was large, quiet and very nicely furnished and thoughtfully appointed. The location is ideal, it's only a few blocks to most of PT. We met Marilou and found a warm smile behind the friendly emails. THANKS.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your great review of the Washington Hotel. It is always a pleasure to have the opportunity to speak with guests while booking the rooms, but a fabulous treat to actually meet them during their visit. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and hope to hear from you again soon. Perhaps next year for your anniversary?
Again, Happy Anniversary!

Reviewed June 21, 2012

I wanted a nice getaway for my two college-age daughters and myself. Marilou helped me pick the room that would best serve our needs and provided a personalized list of some of the places we could go, restaurants we might enjoy, and 'must see' shops. When we arrived, we loved the freedom of checking ourselves in to the hotel; the room was modern, super clean, and beautifully decorated. Marilou had a few lamps on in our room and the radio quietly playing. My daughters both noted that if felt like walking into a comfy home.
The three of us stayed for a night at the Washington Hotel in March; I believe we stayed in room 4. The weekend was so perfect that I'm taking my husband for a stay in June. Marilou remembered our visit in March and once again has helped to personalize our stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

Carolyn,
It was my pleasure to assist you and you lovely daughters on your trip to Port Townsend. I truly enjoyed meeting all of you. I am always happy to assist guests in choosing places to see and enjoy when they visit our town. It is especially nice to hear your feedback how everyone enjoyed their experience. Your daughters comment concerning checking in, is one I like to hear. It is unique with the computerized key codes and no lobby. Room 4 is the room you stayed in. It is perfect for a family with the two bedrooms, sitting room with twin daybed and private bath.
This post came in after your stay with your husband this last weekend. I hope to hear how the two of you enjoyed Room #3.

I am forever grateful to have guests post their comments praising the hotel and my hospitality.

Please come again to Port Townsend and be sure to contact me!

Thank you!