“Stay Away From The Artisan Sandwiches!”

Dairy Queen Grill & Chill
Cuisines: American, Fast Food
Description: Soft-serve ice cream & signature shakes top the menu at this classic burger & fries fast-food chain.
Reviewed November 17, 2016

My daughter, who once worked at this Dairy Queen, told us at the time the quality of the food depends on who in the kitchen cooked it. Well, from the last few times we've eaten here I'd say that there's no one doing a great job. I don't know whether this reflects on management or not.

I've tried two of DQ's Artisan sandwiches; the Chicken Mozzarella and the Artisan Philly. Be aware that the actual sandwiches they serve you look nothing like the photos, but then what fast food sandwich ever does? But in this case the deception is exceptionally heinous. I thought that Chicken Mozz was THE worst fast food sandwich--verging on inedible--that I'd ever had. But then I tried the Artisan Philly last week. Any relationship of this sandwich to an actual, authentic Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich is by the Philly name only. The Artisan part is a complete misnomer.

First, the sandwich is much smaller than pictured. Second, there is so little chopped meat (of some kind of beef) in the sandwich that you can't even see it, let alone have it spilling out the sides as in the photo. You can't see the cheese because what little of it there is has been melted over what little meat and few chopped bell peppers there are in the sandwich. And worst of all, this sandwich isn't baked, it's nuked. There was absolutely no flavor to it. Maybe this started off as a great sandwich at the DQ Headquarters food lab and it's the disgraceful execution of it at this store which is the problem. I don't know. But I bought this sandwich as part of a combo (to go) and it was a COMPLETE waste of money.

Why a complete waste of money? Because after a couple of years of complaints on my part, this DQ insists on vastly undercooking their French fries. These fries are not only unacceptably limp, some of the fries in every batch are barely cooked, actually they're served cold. It's like it's either corporate or local management's directive to leave the fries in the deep fryer for a only few moments so that they can be served to customers more quickly. I think it's ridiculous that I need to specify to the order taker that I want my fries served crispy. That should be the default way they're served to everyone. My wife has usually enjoyed their onion rings but she preferred not to finish them the last time she ordered them. The overall flavor and texture of the breading just wasn't that great. Oh, the onion rings are served cold, too.

So, I'm recommending to give the Artisan sandwiches a pass. As for the burgers, my experience even when eating in the restaurant is that they're always served lukewarm or downright cold in the middle. Just about every time. So, why have my wife and I eaten there many times? Because at times we have had very good burgers there. And based on those good burgers we felt they were better than the other franchise burger places in town. But based on the evidence of the last few times we've eaten here, we'll perhaps just choose to cook burgers/fries/onion rings at home because none of the franchise burger places in town are great.

I know I'm just one guy posting a review but, to me, management really needs to pay close attention to the quality control of the food its employees are cooking up and serving. I deserve quality and delicious food for the money I pay them. Until this is accomplished, last week was our last visit at this DQ. We're not too sure about giving another DQ a chance in case this poor quality of food is typical of all its franchises.

Date of visit: November 2016

Reviewed July 8, 2015

We go to this DQ frequently. Burgers are typical fast food. Overcooked patty, ordinary bun, but fast and filling. Fries are always crisp, though. But you don't really go to DQ for the food. It's the ice cream. Theirs is pretty good soft serve and better (for some unknown reason) than the Gig Harbor DQ. It isn't Ben & Jerry's, but it hits the spot when it's 90 degrees outside. The place is newer and they've kept it clean.

The downside is the service. Went in there today and substituted onion rings for french fries on one of the combos. Big mistake. Halfway through eating my burger, I finally got up to ask about the o-rings. The response was lackadaisical at best and it was obvious they'd forgotten. Finally got them just as I finished my burger. The staff brought them and said, "here's your onion rings." I responded thank you and he said, "no problem." No apology for them being late, nothing.

Same thing with the ice cream. We always order our ice cream for "later" so it won't melt while we eat. Always have to go to the counter with the receipt to remind them. They got my hot fudge sunday right away, but then they took forever to make my wife's sunday and got it wrong anyway. They have enough staff in the place for them to have nice long chats among themselves about their goings on, but not enough, apparently, to ensure timely service for their customers.

If there were a better run DQ nearby, I'd go there, but they really are the only place in town for ice cream and apparently they know it.

Date of visit: July 2015
Reviewed August 5, 2014

I always thought of Dairy Queen as the place to get an ice cream, sundae, milk shake - but now they go and have meals that aren't budget busters! I love their $5 lunch 'boxes'. You can get several different combinations which include an entre', fries, drink AND dessert! How great is that?! The hamburgers are tasty and you can pretty much get anything you would normally add as a condiment. This is my go-to place if I want a quick meal or something for my sweet tooth.

Date of visit: August 2014
Reviewed May 14, 2014

The food here is pretty good fast food burger fare. They used to slather mustard on the burgers--and I always forgot to tell them in advance that I didn't want mustard on my burger. To replace the mustard, they now slather on a bit too much mayo.

The fries are always undercooked--always--which makes them limp without much taste. Don't know why the chain prefers to serve them that way but it's a management or a corporate decision.

There are better burger chains out there and much better locally-owned joints that serve much better burgers and fries than Dairy Queen. But the combos are decently priced.

Date of visit: May 2014
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Located right off the freeway,DQ is a quick and relatively inexpensive ice cream treat. It's nothing spectacular, but definitely can fulfill the sweet tooth on a time of need.

Date of visit: July 2013