“Stick With The Breakfasts And Burgers”
Review of That One Place

That One Place
Ranked #1 of 120 Restaurants in Port Orchard
Cuisines: American
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We used to go here a lot. The service was very friendly, the food a little slow coming out but once out the food was great. This became our favorite breakfast spot.

The burgers were also very good but all had the same problem: the bottom buns would get soggy from all the toppings and then fall apart. This problem could have been easily fixed by lightly toasting the buns on the griddle or using brioche buns like some burger bistros do. The one disappointing burger for me was the Reuben burger because I was expecting slices of corned beef brisket on top of the burger patty but instead got chopped meat in a Russian-style dressing. Wish the menu had been more descriptive or I wouldn't have ordered it.

However, the burgers are at least 1/2 pounders and come with great fries or onion rings. The one, very bad misstep the cook made one night just happened to be when we took my wife's visiting family to here for dinner. Apparently the owners were out of town closing another restaurant of theirs in Idaho that night's meal clearly displayed their absence and the effect on the food.

At our waitress' suggestion we ordered the meat loaf and potatoes with our choice of bread. We went with toast and as we're talking amongst ourselves at the table I smell something burning in the kitchen (which is small and open to the dining room) and got a bad feeling. Sure enough, when the toast was served to our table at least two of the four pieces were burnt. I think the four of us were embarrassed because no one said anything and our guests took the burnt slices. What kind of a cook sends out burnt food and what kind of waitress would serve it instead of telling the cook to refire a new batch? Apparently the ones who are employed here.

The meat loaf and mashed potatoes were nothing special. My wife is an excellent home cook and has made both meat loaf and mashed potatoes that would blow these out of the water. My wife and I are still knocking ourselves for taking our guests out a place we thought was the best in town only to have them subjected to mediocre food.

This was in August 2012 and we didn't decide to give this restaurant another chance until last month when we ordered breakfast. My wife got the eggs benedict and said though it was very good it wasn't any better than what we prepare from scratch at home. I had simple bacon with fried eggs sunny side up and it was also very good. I must say that they get the best bacon I've had in any restaurant or at home. My son recently had a cheeseburger there and said he loved it.

So, with very narrow qualifications, That One Place is back in our good graces--as long as we stick to the breakfasts and burgers.

1  Thank Rick L

Reviewed May 10, 2013

A neighborhood diner with family friendly atmosphere and menu. Singles, families with young children and retired couples were the bulk of the customers. People must really like this place because there was barely an empty table the total time we were there. The food is good, the portions excellent. Deep fried isn't our favorite but substitutions are given; Fruit was substituted for French fries at our request. The breakfasts look especially hardy and we may return for that but we may also choose the "lite menu". They offer take out and have yummy ice cream and desserts. The staff was especially attentive and friendly. A real neighborhood, caring place.

Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

Everyone knows that Port Orchard is a black hole of fine dining, so when I heard positive reviews of this new restaurant, I was cautiously optimistic.
First impression was that it may be the worst decor of any restaurant I have ever been in. Like a bad dream of car culture. But, it was packed, so I was hopeful. Waitress was SUPER friendly, and recommended the fish tacos, so I gave them a try. Sadly, the were pretty much tasteless and under seasoned. The home made tortillas were pretty good, but the batter on the fish was not very good, and the fish tasted like it had been sitting awhile.
On the positive side, it took only about 10 minutes to get our food in a packed restaurant. I had the overall impression that it might be a really good place for a burger. I am not giving up on this place. I will give it another shot in the near future.

1  Thank timot61
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We live in Port Orchard and every so often we go out for Breakfast. This is not something gourmet or very different; more like grandma's cooking. It's kind of like diner fare but it's reasonably priced and okay.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Enjoyed breakfast here this morning (1/31). Had the meat lovers omelet with cheese ($9.95)...my, oh, my! The filling (bacon, ham, sausage, onions, mushrooms, cheese) starts at the very edges of this gigantic omelet and the cheese is inside and out. I chose hash browns (other potatoes available) and asked for them to be extra crispy and they were cooked to order. In addition, there were three sides offered: I chose french toast rather than pancake (another choice, I've forgotten). EVERYTHING was perfectly cooked and so tasty. Glad I asked for a "small" oj as it was at least 8 ozs. My Honey's breakfast was just right as well...thick crispy bacon, perfectly cooked egg...This place has quite a following and an extensive menu. The staff was busy but seemed to take the time to be helpful and accommodating to everyone while we were there. Great value for our dollars.