“A Small Gem In Port Orchard” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 115 Restaurants in Port Orchard
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Port Orchard, Washington
“A Small Gem In Port Orchard”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

My wife and I decided to celebrate our wedding anniversary last year (the dates on TA don't go back to July 2012) at Bay St. Bistro. Best decision we ever made. From now on, BSB is our romantic rendevous restaurant. It's a small place but it feels really cozy with classic jazz playing over the sound system. During the winter when it gets dark early the place must have oodles of atmosphere.

We were lucky enough to have Matt as our waiter. We brought our own favorite bottle of wine and he uncorked it for a minimal corkage fee.

My wife started off her meal with the baby spinach salad and I had the red white and blue salad with blueberries, cherrie, and goat cheese. Both were delicious. My wife had stuffed chicken breast and I had wild blue marlin with puttanesca sauce. We shared oven roasted vegies and great housemade bread. I've never had marlin before but I hope to have it again after that meal. My wife loved her chicken--but the gravy! Strange as it may seem, my wife preferred my puttanesca sauce and I preferred her chicken gravy. But since I love fish more than chicken and she feels vice versa, we kept our entrees while stealing each other's sauce and gravy.

For dessert, Matt suggested dessert wines to accompany the items we chose. My wife had a Hungarian Tokaji and I had a Spanish Oloroso Sherry. Both were exquisite. My wife had the best caramel cheesecake on the planet, and I had the the chocolate truffle cake, both made my Matt's company Carter's Chocolates. The man is an even better chocolatier than he is a waiter, which is saying a huge amount. After dinner chocolate mints, made by Matt, were the best I've ever had.

During our meal, the owner John came out and we talked about his wonderful food and about wines and about the great service Matt gave us. It was a real special night for us and a great way to celebrate our anniversary.

As I wrote, Bay St. Bistro will now be "our" place for all special occasions or when we just want to treat ourselves to a special dining experience.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Rick L

Port Orchard
“Good food but rushed out the door”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

We love this restaurant and the food, it is our favorite place by far. Went there on a not very busy Friday night. Everything was great until we presented our restaurants.com certificate. After that every time the owner walked by our table he told the wait staff to hurry up and turn over tables. They werent even half full, but we had to listen to the owner/chef tell us indireclty every time he passed by how we need to hurry up and get out since we are getting a discounted meal. We were not even offered dessert, just given the bum's rush. It was very clear that we weren't welcome. If Bay Street Bistro is going to use a website to get more customers in then they should treat everyone the same no matter what.

4 Thank James H
Seattle, Washington
“Best Restaurant in Port Orchard”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Best fine dining restaurant in Port Orchard. Food is good, great appetizers. The chef/owner comes out to talk to you. No kids is A+ too.

Port Orchard, Washington
“Intimate & Friendly!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I went back to Bay Street Bistro recently for the second time. We love the intimate feel of this restaurant. Our server was great! She made wonderful recommendations and you could tell she really liked the food she suggested and wasn't just giving us lip service. You are always treated to a small aperitif. We got steamed clams for an appetizer, a bottle of the daily special wine (REALLY good), an appetizer each (Steak and Clam Pasta) and shared a dessert. The grilled veggies were cooked just right. The chef/owner came around to each table and talked to the guests and answered questions about how things were cooked. They weren't very busy, but steady. The only things we DON'T love are that kids aren't allowed and the prices are a little steep, especially for this town.

Seattle, Washington
“Our forth time there, disappointing.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

We went on Sunday, none of us wanted the special Sunday meal. i wanted spicy clams, don't have them, OK scallops, no don't have them, how about the clam marinara spaghetti, no don't have it. I ended up with Arctic Char, very good, Elf Food, small portion for $20.00 My daughter had rib Eye steak that was sent back to recook, she wanted medium, it came back medium to medium rare, she settled on it not to be a bother, There was a great deal of fat on the steak and after cutting most of it off was a small piece of meat for $28.00. My wife had skewered Prawns and loved them, delicious. Son in law had the smoked pork chop, he said it was very good , however he will eat anything in front of him in 2 minutes. The vegetables were good, broccoli, potatoes and carrots, a sauce would have been nice, the carrots were a bit underdone as were the potatoes. Desserts were good, 2 people had the caramel cream something-like a flan, and didn't care for it. I had cheese cake and it was good.

• 2 of 5 bubbles