“Delightful, Peaceful! Great Location!”

Mountain View Lodge
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Packwood
Reviewed August 16, 2012

The mountain view inn is deceptive from the outward appearance. When my family first drove up to stay here, I was really concerned. It didn't look like much from the outside, and I'm still not real sure where the "mountain view" was, but, we ventured into the lobby. We were met by a pleasant hostess who didn't appear to speak much English, but was very friendly and got us checked into our room. We had a pleasing size room with a clean, fresh bathroom and wonderfully clean room. There was a refrigerator and microwave in the room which was very much appreciated since we were trying to be economical and picnic at least once every day. The next morning, we were surprised by all of the goodies in the lobby for us to choose for breakfast. I did not recall the website mentioning breakfast, but there were muffins, bagels, cereals, etc. for a nice unexpected treat. I wouldn't say it was a huge spread, but an unexpected treat, especially for my boys.

The yard area is wonderful. I sat outside and read, at the picnic table and my youngest son loved sitting outside playing on his kindle. There was also a swing set and porch swing which was wonderful on a cool summer evening.

The only downside to the Mountain View Lodge was we had no wi-fi for the night. However, it was also a nice break from technology for our family. The lodge HAS wi-fi, but it was not working the night we stayed.

One other thing, if you stay in Packwood, don't expect much of a town. I didn't see many eating establishments and only one very small grocery. We bought frozen dinners at the IGA and enjoyed the clean room and microwave at the lodge.

It is very close to Mt. Rainier national park and that was the main reason we choose to stay here, but I would not hesitate to recommend this lodge or stay again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Kgardner120

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Our family of 5 stayed here one night on a road trip. The room was large and clean, the bathroom was recently updated and the staff were super friendly. From the outside and from the "lobby" this was a scary first impression - but turned out to be quite a nice place!

Packwood is a funny place - always check on road closings before heading out - we encountered several routes that were closed . . .

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Matzner5
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We stayed at Mountain View Lodge for two nights as part of our honeymoon trip. Our room (14) was very clean and had a brand new hardwood floor. The king-sized bed was comfortable and the kitchen area stocked well enough with needed supplies. The owners were very friendly and helpful. They are centrally located which made it easy for us to visit Crystal Mountain and Mount St. Helen's (or Paradise if the road had been open!) We would definitely recommend this place. The only "con" was that the internet did not reach to the room. But we were able to get it from a picnic table in the back yard or from the common area in the office. We thank them for adding to the pleasure of our honeymoon!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank TMax-n-Topo
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I am here for temporary work, so I needed a place to settle into. This is one of two motels in town that provided any kind of standard of living and the only with a kitchenette suite. I was so pleased that the owners took so much pride in their property. My room had new wood floors and the most comfortable bed. The owners are SO SO SO personable and friendly. It was such a pleasant stay. I got the best sleep I have in some time. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED and the closest to the Mt. Rainier southern entrance.

Room Tip: Get cabin 16, kitchenette suite.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank SITI U
Reviewed September 17, 2011

The room was clean, though small and spartan. The internet worked and the TV had plenty of selections.

If you are a person of girth, beware. The bathroom, is very small. The shower stall is so small that I could not turn around without bumping the faucet handle and scalding myself, and I am pretty thin, If you are large, you probably could not get in the shower.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2011

We stayed at the Mountain View Lodge for two nights. We stayed in Unit 17, which had a separate bedroom, and fireplace. It was right on the road, but that didn't really bother us.

Our flight was delayed by 12 hours, so we ended up getting there very late, and lost a day of exploring Mt Rainier. They were very nice about us waking them up at 2-3 in the morning!

They had a nice breakfrast with breads, cereal, fruit and coffee. The rooms were clean, and it was nice having extra space. I enjoyed having the porch to sit and drink our coffee in the morning! There was a coffee maker, small refigerator, and microwave. They had a Jacuzzi, but we didn't have a chance to enjoy it.

It was a great location to explore Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helen's. The trip back to Seattle was very pretty...our trip there was too late to enjoy the views!

We loved seeing the Elk walking around the town! We enjoyed the small town of Packwood. We enjoyed our stay at this hotel, and would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank HrComsTrbl
Reviewed August 22, 2011

We stayed here for two nights during our road trip from Vacouver BC to Stinson Beach, CA. We were pleasantly surprised as the room we got was very large and super clean. The price for a room per night is very affordable! The bed looks great, at it is made of wooden branches.

It is right in the middle between Mount Rainier and Mount St. Helens, so kind of ideal if you want to explore both parks.

The place is run by a lovely hard working couple, with real heart for their business. They even washed our huge bag of clothes, and found everything neatly folded a few hours later for only ten dollars. Isn't it a wonderful thing to have everything freshly washed when traveling? :)

I would definitely recommend this place, as it is a good place to stay for a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: rooms on the front may be a little bit noisy, since they are facing the road.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Geert Jan B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Packwood
Packwood Lodge
#3 of 5 in Packwood
Nisqually Lodge
Nisqually Lodge
#1 of 6 in Ashford

Been to Mountain View Lodge? Share your experiences!