“Wonderful...cozy...clean place to stay!”
Review of Crest Trail Lodge

Crest Trail Lodge
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Packwood
Simi Valley, California
“Wonderful...cozy...clean place to stay!”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

After pin pointing what town we would stay in on our trip through WA State, Packwood fit in perfect ( Close to Mt Rainier NP via the short cut ) . I researched places to stay in Packwood and I loved the great reviews that the Crest Trail Lodge had on Trip Advisor. We arrived late in the afternoon and we were greeted with a warm welcome at check in. We headed to our room and we were delighted at how cute and clean it was. Everything looked to be newly redone and the room was of good size too. The lodge also has wine tasteing in the evening so we took advantage of sampling some of WA's wonderful wines!.
Breakfast is served in the morning and there is quite the variety to choose from ( scrambled eggs, waffles, muffins, toast, cereals etc. ) Everything we ate was hot and fresh and we walked away full and ready to start our day hiking in Mt Rainier National Park!

3 Thank JstLv2Crz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Europe
Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for one night while passing through the region. It good value for money - large room with 2 beds (charging based on how many beds you use), TV, free internet, petty copious breakfast and free wine (drinkable at that!) in the evening. Only minor problem is that the sound proofing wasn't very good and we hard lots of other room nose in the evening, although to be fair we didn't have any issues during the night.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Claireincognito
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at the Crest Trail Lodge in Aug. 2012. Staff/managers (including Forest) were very friendly, helpful and courteous on the phone and in person. The facility and my room were well above my expectations (huge room, so comfy! wine in the evening and great breakfast in the morning!). I really am impressed with the lodge, staff and services. I look forward to visiting again on the way to my next Cascade mountain adventure. Will definitely recommend to friends.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We stayed at the Crest Trail Lodge right before Labor Day. The Manager, Forest met us at the door and proceeded to help us with all our questions about the area. He made us feel completely at home. The other manager, Donna whom we booked our reservation with - told me she would personally make sure the room would be ready and very clean - which it was. The breakfast is the best I have ever had a lodge that advertises Continental breakfast. Our stay was pleasant. In a small town like this...you want to feel secure leaving your electronics behind while you do activities inthe daytime. We felt the management was very security conscious especially with so many out of towners as we were there right at the beginning of the Labor Flea market. For these two well traveled Seattlelites....this was a very pleasant place to hang our hats at the end of the day. Thank you Forest and Donna and the housekeeping staff who made it all an enjoyable stay!

Kodiak Island, Alaska
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We were traveling the back sides of Mt Rainier and Mt St Helens and needed a place to stay for the night betweeen the two. This is a nice place to stay. The proprietor was very friendly and helpful. Room was a nice size but the walls are not sound proofed and you could hear the neighbors next door and above. Bed was pretty soft and we rolled toward the middle. Light breakfast was provided and plenty of free parking. Be sure to book early if you are going Memorial Day or Labor Day weekends as Packwood has a large flee market which takes up the whole of main street.

1 Thank MomofsixinAK
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed September 4, 2012

While planning a grand tour of the national parks in Washington, I was struggling to find even an average place for the Mt. Rainier leg. The lodging in Ashford is overprice and underwhelming. Packwood was equally unappealing until I found the Crest Trail Lodge. And after having driven through both Ashford and Packwood my impression was confirmed. CTL is hands-down the place to stay - which is why I gave it a rating of 5 - there should be no doubts.

The motel has been recently refurbished - which is apparent when you arrive having seen the other choices. It is clean. The furnishings are new.

Elaine, working the front desk, was very friendly and helpful. The east entrance to Mt. Rainier National Park closed and I thought I was going to have to drive 2 hours out of my way to visit the park the next day. She told me about a route (FR-52 / Skate Creek Road) that leaves from Packwood and ends just outside the west entrance. Took me about 30 minutes to make that trip - pretty much saved the day. This still spoiled my plans to explore the east side of the park the next day, and she graciously allowed me to cancel my reservation for the second night.

Miscellaneous: WiFi worked the first time, tho was a tad bit slow. They were providing a free glass of wine - was fun learning about the area while sipping a glass of wine and chatting with Elaine. Lots of choices for breakfast - not just cold cereal and stale bagels. I would recommend requesting a room on the 2nd floor - I think a troupe of clog dancers were in the room above me (but at least they got tired about the same time I did). Like any motel you can hear the other guests - but even as a sometimes-light-sleeper I was able to sleep through the night.

In an area of tired, overpriced, rundown choices Crest Trail Lodge is quite a find.

Room Tip: Quietest rooms are on the 2nd floor and in the back.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank LostInColorado
Palatka, FL
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Came through Mt. Rainier from north to south, stopping at Sunrise first then heading on into Packwood and the Crest Trail Lodge for the evenings. Lady at the front desk was attentive and friendly, room was clean and inviting. Breakfast was plentiful but as others have mentioned it can be crowded. The next day we went back in to the Paradise area for more hiking and out the west side of Mt. Rainier NP and back to Crest Trail Lodge for our second evening. No problems of any kind and easy check out the next morning. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank gogators52
Also consider these accommodations in or near Packwood
Mountain View Lodge
Whittaker's Motel and Historic Bunkhouse
Nisqually Lodge
Nisqually Lodge
#1 of 6 in Ashford

Been to Crest Trail Lodge? Share your experiences!