“Loved my Stay in This Historic Property”
Review of Hotel Packwood

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Packwood
Hotel Packwood
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Packwood
Reviewed June 13, 2013

On short notice of only an hour, with the weather socking me in at Mt. Rainier National Park, I called the Hotel Packwood to see if they could shelter me from the storm! Why yes, no problem, was owner Marilyn's cheery answer!

On arrival, Marilyn welcomed me with stories from the 1912 founding of the property and President Teddy Roosevelt's stay here! I even got to stay in ROOM 6, in the room where Teddy likely stayed; and to sit in his rocking chair (or so the local story says... it is his rocking chair.... it creeks in a cool way that implies a deep history!)

But the ghost of Teddy never bothered me, and I slept like a rock under nice thick down comforter and quilt!

In the morning, hot tea, coffee, and conversation with fellow travelers in the Inn's comfy living room made a wonderful start to my day!

I would highly recommend this Hotel... try to get Room 6 if you are a history buff (or if you just want something cool to post on your FaceBook page!)

Cynthia (from FLORIDA)

Room Tip: ROOM 6 for history! Some rooms sleep more guests... I think up to four people in some rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed May 13, 2013

What a great find!! Rustic charm, great interior decorating, and a real bargain. The best place we stayed in our trip to the Olympic Peninsula!! This was definitley the best value we found along the entire route.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I've stayed there twice wth my grandkids, ages 6 and 8. Our purpose was skiing at White Pass, a 20' drive away. The Packwood Hotel has a great location, close to restaurants and groceries.

The best part for my grandkids was that there were other kids there, including the Marilyn's grandkids. After skiing the kids enjoyed playing and we ate with other families at a local restaurant.

The best part for me - price.

It's very clean with a homey feel and the shared bathrooms weren't crowded. The last time I was there Marilyn had baked apple pie and served me a delicious helping because I "looked like I needed a piece of pie."

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We've stayed at Hotel Packwood a few time now and have been amazed by the place time-after-time. The place is clean, the innkeeper and other guests are always super friendly, the rooms are comfortable and it's within walking distance to everything in the tiny town. Next time I'll bring my own pillow (I'm a pillow snob) and ear plugs since you can hear the other guests.

The owner puts out how water, tea, coffee, oatmeal, and sometimes fresh fruit. There are always mugs and wine glasses to use, as well as a microwave and mini fridge. There are books, magazines, and board games too.

We got a room with a queen bed and a shared bathroom for $40. We've stayed in a room with it's own bathroom before for $50-$60, but sharing a bathroom wasn't bad at all if you're looking to save money.

Slam dunk Hotel Packwood! We really love you.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SparklePit
Reviewed November 9, 2012

The hotel is lovely decorated and has a really nice atmosphere. The lobby makes you feel like sitting in your rustic cabin living room. By the way, the WiFi works perfectly down there, however, not so well in the room upstairs. But to be fair, this is something Marylin, the owner informs you about right away. Also, the room I had was at the end of the corridor with private bath, but there are also plenty of rooms with shared bath. The room itself was rather small, but ok for one person. The bed was a little bit high in height for my standards, however, never before have I slept any better. The hotel and surrounding is very quiet, so during pre-season there is not much going on here. Nevertheless, it's a great place to stay when you visit Mount Rainier. There is a café close by as you will not get any breakfast at the hotel. However, Marilyn does provide you with fresh brewed coffee. You may also use the fridge in the lobby as there is none in the room. There is a tourist information in town as well as two gas stations, a library and two bars/restaurants.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank sunsetd
Reviewed October 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Packwood while visiting Mount Rainier NP. I had read about this hotel on trip advisor and it sounded like my kind of place, not your cookie cutter lodging, but very clean and with character. The hotel is a 100 yr. old historic landmark that has a homey feel. It had nine rooms upstairs, two with baths. We stayed in a room with a bath which reminded me of the upstairs bedroom in my old homeplace. The bed was very comfortable. Everything was very clean. The lobby is a comfortable big cozy living room with coffee and lots of books to read. The owner is very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed talking with her about the history of the house and asking questions about the area. Actually, I would have loved to stay another night - it was such a pleasant experience. If you're looking for the Hilton, keep driving. If you're looking for a clean, comfortable bed at a very affordable price and an enjoyable night in beautiful Packwood, don't miss this gem.

Room Tip: We stayed in the room with a bath, but this time of the year, there were only two other rooms taken...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LizNc
Reviewed October 2, 2012

This place brought memories of my youth with its quirky, old-timey and rustic charm. Keys here seem more like a token than a necessity (in fact mine was, as I don't really think it locked the door - at least I couldn't get it to work) but given the extremely laid back vibe and pleasant proprietor, I had no worries and enjoyed my night in the past in sleepy Packwood. Be sure to grab a muffin at the coffee shop across the street.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Packwood
4 mi away
Whittaker's Motel and Historic Bunkhouse
Crest Trail Lodge
Crest Trail Lodge
#3 of 5 in Packwood

Been to Hotel Packwood? Share your experiences!