“Beautiful Location and Cottages! Very, Very Disappointing Management!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pacific Beach
Seabrook Cottage Rentals
Reviewed September 20, 2012

First of all let me list the more positive side of our stay as I would give the property itself a good rating. We rented the "Life is Good" cottage in Beach Camp for two nights. The location is really spectacular. The "town" is adorable as all the cottages are new and tidy and everything is within walking distance. Our cottage was charming and quite clean as was the town. The restaurant had great mixed drinks although after trying their super greasy onion rings we opted not to eat there. The market was surprisingly well stocked with everything you might need including a coffee bar, wine, lots of fresh produce, a great selection of gourmet food offerings and a super friendly staff. The beach is amazing and just a short walk away. And I have to give a big thumbs up to the maintenance staff as we got to know them quite well.
Now........the downsides and the experience that really put a huge damper on our first stay at Seabrook. #1) There is a lot of construction going on. Luckily, thanks to another review I realized this, called ahead and booked a cottage far from the construction. I strongly recommend this unless you want your experience to be large trucks, loud noises and construction workers. #2) Our experience: We arrived after the office was closed. We made a call from the outdoor office phone and one of the maintenance staff greeted us promptly and led us to our cottage. So far so good. We were given a "gift bag" with information and a map so I checked that for instructions about the house. Surprisingly there were none. I finally figured out the remote on the wall operated the fireplace so I tried it. Nothing. I called maintenance thinking perhaps I didn't know what I was doing. When he came by he proceeded to dismantle the fireplace and realized the pilot wasn't on. He was in there for literally an hour trying to figure it out. He managed to light the pilot but the fireplace wouldn't go on. Finally, hungry and tired we just said forget it. He promised to inform the office. So, we made dinner, used the hot tub and then attempted to check our email with the "free wi-fi" advertised. All the wi-fi was secured and we couldn't connect as we hadn't been given a password. As my fiance was expecting an important email about a job, I called maintenance. He came by again and attempted to figure out the problem. Another 1/2 hour in the cottage with staff. He couldn't figure it out so we said goodnight at this point, tired and exasperated. We wanted to watch a movie through the Wii at this point and realized there were 3 remotes and no instructions anywhere to be found. After some digging we found the Wii remotes but the batteries were dead in all of them except one. Figuring this out took another 1/2 hour. We decided to head to the office the next day and inform them of our displeasure. (I worked in hospitality for many years and expected a reaction quite different from what we got) The girl at the front desk said she was completely unaware of the fireplace and wi-fi situation even though the maintenance guy promised he would pass along the information. She basically passed the buck and said because she didn't know about it until now there wasn't much she could do and proceeded to tell us that wi-fi isn't "guaranteed". Um, but...it was advertised for this particular cabin and part of what we paid for. After a bit she decided to send some staff over to figure it out and said she would inform management of our trouble thus far. 2 girls came over and went to the bedroom and spent ANOTHER HOUR in the cottage trying to figure out the wi-fi. They finally succeeded and left. At this point we couldn't believe in a 2 night stay we had already spent 2 1/2 hours with maintenance in our cottage. That evening it turned chilly again and I decided to try the fireplace. To my surprise it now worked so I left it on while making dinnner. 15 minutes later the fan kicked on and made a horrible and loud noise. I promptly shut off the fireplace but the noise continued. I once again called our now dear friends, the maintenance department. The guy spent another 1/2 hour dismantling the fireplace and trying to figure it out. He mentioned that the fireplace was in dire need of cleaning and some repair and he would inform the office. At this point I had already been listening to that horrible sound for 40 minutes and was tired and stressed out. On the second night of our short two night stay we realized we had spent a total of THREE HOURS with maintenace staff in our cottage!!!! Not to mention we never heard a word of apology or anything from that matter from management. We headed to check out the next day expecting to be heard and for management to rectify what had been a rather stressful stay in some way. Same girl at the front desk. "How was everything?" We proceeded to re-tell the story of all of our trouble and her response was "Well, was everything else ok?" HUH????? Nothing. No apologies, no discount on future stays, no calling management in....nothing. I even asked her how could she make me feel better about our stay there and she said she would make sure someone fixed the fireplace. But wait...we're leaving, that has no effect on us now. Two days later I was sent a Seabrook satisfaction survey. I told the story in the bottom part for comments. Nothing. No response from Seabrook, no management email, nothing. As I mentioned I worked in the hotel industry for years...I know what can be done to make unhappy customers happy again. Absolutely no apology or response is considered really bad business. Let me also mention that we are not the kind of people to always complain about every little thing, in fact, I always try to give staff and places the benefit of the doubt and I rarely write negative reviews. But in this case the management clearly doesn't care about a poor experience and they have not trained their front desk staff to truly work hospitality. I think this place could be five star with some effort but service is everything in hospitality and sadly we did not experience it here.

Room Tip: Be sure to choose a cottage far from construction areas!! Try for a corner lot if you want to stay i...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
19  Thank BLBTraveler

Reviewed September 18, 2012

This was our third trip to Seabrook, and on this trip we did start off with a bad experience with our reservation and the rental office manager. First, my wife was very selective on which cabin she wanted to rent based on our past two visits to Seabrook. When we arrived for check-in, we were told that the cabin my wife had selected online ("The Nest") has a new owner and they made it not "pet friendly", so the office switched us to a similar layout cabin in a different location. When my wife asked why we were not informed (as we could have selected a different cabin ourselves from their web site or changed our travel plans), the main clerk went into the back room to talk with the manager. My wife could hear the manager talking in the background saying, "… we can't give them a bigger cottage. They'll need to stay in the one we gave them". My wife asked why were were moved close to the new cottage construction area, and the manager stated we should have known that Seabrook is a "growing" community and this was stated all over their web site. If you check the Seabrook website, that is not true. Finally, in the middle of the conversation the manager she just walked away to her back room. She was incredibly rude, and didn't seem to care that we drove 3 hours from Seattle and were not notified that the office changed our reservation without giving us a choice to cancel or make other arrangements.

The clerk admitted that they had a note on our reservation to call us (and they some how didn't do it), so they ended up refunding 20% of our charges and cleaning fees, etc. Most likely, they were the fees that the Seabrook property management charges so they were able to refund them. Because of the manager's rude behavior it did give us a sour start with our first day at Seabrook, and we do plan to file a complaint to the Seabrook Property Management.

Other than the rocky start, our visit went quite well. My family did enjoy our stay, visiting the beautiful beaches and huge indoor swimming pool multiple times. We cooked burgers and hot dogs on the grill right outside our cabin, and had a big bonfire on the beach late at night.

Note, that Seabrook is indeed expanding, and they are cutting down trees near the northeast side of the community. Lots of cement trucks and other construction vehicles were present during our visit, and you will hear early morning beeping as these trucks backup while the construction crew are grading and building new cottages. So be prepared for noise and constant construction traffic.

Here are a few tips for your visit:

1) Call ahead by a few weeks to make sure the Seabrook rental office didn't change your cabin reservation. Make sure you are getting what you think you reserved from their website. Let them know that if they decided to change your cabin, that they should call or email you first to notify you to make sure the new cabin is ok with you.

2) I heard someone complaining in the office that the cabin they selected online didn't have furnishings that matched what was in the actual cabin. I believe this can happen if there are new owners of the cabin and they switch out the furnishings, so if that is important to you, call to make sure their web site pictures are up to date.

3) The three cabins we stayed in had a small washer and dryer, which was great. So if you plan to wash clothes make sure you bring laundry detergent. You can buy small packets at the Marketplace, but it's cheaper if you bring your own.

4) If you plan to grill your food for dinner, bring charcoal brickets. you might also consider bringing your own portable grill, since there are a limited number of grills available and they are busy during dinner hours.

5) The three cabins we stayed at had Cable TV and Internet, but one of the cabins didn't have WiFi which made the Internet service totally unusable. If you plan to use WiFi in your cabin, check ahead to make sure they have both Internet service and a WiFi Router. When in doubt, bring your own WiFi Router.

6) The indoor pool area has free WiFi (with a broadcast id of "SB Pool"), so you can sit inside and access the Internet on your Smartphone, laptop, or iPad while your kids play in the pool.

7) It seems that most of the cabins come with two beach cruiser bikes (stored inside a small shed with two trash containers), so you may not need to bring your bikes if you plan on riding around town or on the beach. They do rent bikes at Seabrook, for $5/hr or $20/day (you need to return them before the bike rental place closes for the day).

8) Check in time use to be 3 pm, but the rental office now moved it later to 5 pm. So if you arrive early you may not have your cabin ready for you. They will give you a pool key if you want to use the pool while you wait for your cabin or want to change your clothes in the pool room.

9) Verizon is the only cell phone service that works in the Seabrook area. Sprint will work on roaming, and ATT will definitely not work.

10) Things you might considering bringing: Roasting sticks for marshmallows and hotdogs. Kites for the beach. Beach toys for digging holes, etc. on the beach. Matches for starting fires on the beach or on a grill. Lots of suntan lotion because you can get burned even with the high clouds. Bar of soap and shampoo/conditioner for showering in your cottage or in the pool room (yes, the pool room has a large shower in the back of each restroom).

11) If your doggie gets wet and full of sand from activity on the beach, you can use the doggie wash at the "Salty Dog" store for $12. The Salty Dog close at 5 pm, so make sure you make it back in time if you want a wash.

We do plan to come back next summer, and keep our family tradition going.

Room Tip: Read over the details of the cottages online and pick one that has all the features you want (e.g...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank cohoman
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I was disappointed in seabrook. Construction was going on a block away and no one mentioned it when we reserved the 'happy as a clam' cottage. The houses are so close together there is no privacy. The weekend was sold out so there were lots of parties on porches and yards. I didn't get any sleep while staying there either as the bed was a cheAp Ikea brand with lumps. Then there was a lot of maintenance. I do not recommed seabrook for a vacation spot.

• Stayed: September 2012
4  Thank Wetraveltoo
Reviewed August 15, 2012

My wife and I have visited Seabrook 3 times. After stopping by for a day visit the first time, we decided to stay longer and visit for our 1 year anniversary. We stayed in one of the cottages and absolutely loved it. True the location is a little remote, but only 25 minutes from Ocean Shores which is not bad at all.

The people are very friendly and just love the seaside lifestyle there. When it rains, its merely a drizzle, and when its sunny, its absolutely perfect. The nature trails to the beach are beautiful with berries, moss and all sorts of honey suckles on the way (be sure to do your homework on what berries or edible!"

Cottage Rentals:
We've traveled all over and for the value, amenities and overall relaxation you'll get from the trip, it is well worth it the price of the cottage rentals. You can drive up to forks and visit Rialto Beach (one of the most unique beaches you'll ever see" or just take a drive down the coast, the fresh air and smell of the rain forest is unforgettable. If you're looking to get away from it all, this is a perfect place for friends, family, couples or even solo!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ramiro G
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We recently rented a darling cottage at Seabrook for a week. The Roosevelt Cabin was adorable. Small, but outfitted with everything we needed to cook, enjoy DVDs and music, read, and make good use of Seabrook. We liked walking to the beach via the forest path, and going to the pub in the afternoon to read and drink beer. The Blind Dog bookstore is very well-stocked, and the on-site grocery had a surprising selection of good-quality food. We had a great day trip hiking in the Olympic National Forest, which is about a 45 minute drive, and sitting on the lawn at the gorgeous Lake Quinault Lodge. Also, the new swimming pool and hot tub are great - we used the hot tub every night. I'd just say that this is a good place if you want to really relax, but it is a bit of a trek to get there (we drove from the Bay Area, via Portland, so it was a long trip) and there isn't much to do in the surrounding towns. So really you should be prepared to just chill during your time there.
P.S. For pet-owners: while we were there we had a little emergency with our dog. The vet at the Ocean Shores Animal Hospital and her staff could not have been better - we were very grateful to them, and so was our little guy!

Room Tip: Roosevelt Cabin was a very good value.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank FrequentTravelerSF
Reviewed July 25, 2012

This place will be lovely....when it's finished. They have just started work on a major expansion and--quite remarkably given the "planned community" nature of this place--they didn't plan ahead and create a construction entrance. So all the huge trucks--many of which are two-part dump trucks--have to wind their way through the completed areas. I wondered if I was exaggerating the noise they create, so I timed how often trucks go past. There is a truck movement directly outside our cottage every 2 minutes from 8am to 5pm (our cottage by Compass Park is particularly badly impacted because the trucks use the area to hitch and un-hitch their double trucks, which results in 5 minutes of idling/clanking/banging each time.) Not only does this wreck any notion that this is a lovely place to sit out on lawn furniture and read a book, but it also makes it downright dangerous for kids to be out on bikes.

I realize development is inevitable, and I guess there is nothing they can do about a back entrance at this point. But while this construction work is underway they need to (a) warn guests ahead of time and (b) offer significant discounts to those on the construction route. We paid $1,100 for 3 nights in a small cottage, and that's ridiculous given the noise and upheaval.

I think the north-west corner (on the east side of the road) is probably less affected by the construction than the eastern half. I highly recommend calling the resort and asking specifically for a cottage away from the construction route.

Room Tip: Ask for a cottage away from the route construction vehicles take.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank lizcha
Reviewed July 18, 2012

My family really enjoyed our three day trip to Seabrook. It's a great place to be able to spend some quality time with the family. We rented the "Beachy Keen" cottage in Beach Camp. I like trip planning so I didn't mind that I spent quite a while online comparing the different cottages in our price range. We spent plenty of time at the beach and at the play areas. The pool was too busy for our taste when we first went so we decided to go later that day and it was fine. My girls (12 & 8) also enjoyed the ceramic shop. It was a bit pricey but I figured I'd only let them go on the trip and not on future ones. I planned most of our meals ahead of time so we didn't need to get anything at the market or go to the restaurant. We did pick up some Teriyaki nearby in Pacific Beach.

So far we are planning to make it a yearly weekend getaway. We are also thinking of getting a bigger place sometime so the kids can bring some friends along or we can bring another family.

Room Tip: Look at the details online carefully to make sure you have the amenities you want.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Quinault Beach Resort and Casino
Ocean Crest Resort
Ocean Crest Resort
#2 of 3 in Moclips

Been to Seabrook Cottage Rentals? Share your experiences!