“Breath of Fresh Air”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oroville
Veranda Beach Resort
Reviewed September 14, 2013

What an absolutely gorgeous place to escape to. We have been to this beautiful little resort many times and I have to say each time is unique in the fact that their seasons change and you get to experience the tranquility of Fall in their off season and then the sizzling Summer heat while they are in full swing during their busy season. I just can’t get enough of this place! Yes while every resort has their little quirks this one does too, but what I like most is that everyone is so friendly and eager to make our stay as pleasurable as humanly possible.
I have to say though if you like all the hustle and bustle and meeting new people then Summer is the time to go! They have a Diner that has pool side service (which we used daily) and a cute little Gift Shop. How pleasant is that and when the pool got a little too busy for our liking we just simply moved to the lake....ohhhhh the lake is to die for and its private...talk about a bonus there and the scenery is magnificent!
My husband and I along with our friends like to come in the Fall as well. It’s nice and quiet. However, we do have to give up the pool and diner but we understand as we have vacationed in many places throughout and find with all resorts that have dramatic weather changes they also have large occupancy changes. Makes sense.
We defiantly recommend this place as a must go to. We have met so many people who come back year after year...who does that unless they love where they are going?
Thank you Veranda Beach for everything you do and continue to do to keep such a wonderful vacation destination available. We will miss you till our next visit, which can’t be soon enough!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed September 12, 2013

This is our third year at Veranda Beach. It is a uniquely beautiful environment, cute cottages, lake, and pool.

We always have fun here and I am sad to say this might have to be our last year due to thoughtless customer service.

Basically, during prime pool time, 12pm - 2pm, they have "donated" their entire swimming pool the local Oroville school kids. Okay, what a pickle. You have paid to use the pool; I mean, why else are you spending the big bucks but for the resort's amenities? Well, lo and behold, the whole Grade 4 class of Oroville Elementary is there too, and you can't use the pool, surprise, it's closed!

And, I quote, "The school kids could have come earlier in the day, but they prefer to come at noon because it's more relaxing for them." Well, 12pm is a pretty relaxing time of day for my family to swim too Veranda Beach, and I'm a PAYING customer. In fact, I have been looking forward to swimming in your pool ALL YEAR LONG, like from when I booked my vacay last September 2012, when I left your resort.

Did Veranda Beach ask me if I want to donate my precious vacation time and vacation money to the local school kids? No. Did they compensate me for the nearly 8 hours of lost prime pool time? No. In fact, I was supposed to feel so happy about donating my vacation to these kids. Do I have a tax receipt for my donation? Was I consulted? "Not even a free drink for the inconvenience" as one guest in the hot tub commented.

Very tricky customer service Veranda Beach. You promised a service and then took it away. I was not advised prior to my stay that these children would be using the pool. In a way, it's a breach of contract: like buying a pair of jeans and then saying, oops, you just have to let this person borrow them first for a couple of hours. Weird.

Likewise, on our final night, the pool was suddenly "closed." They had not advised us ahead of time that the pool hours would be changing. We had planned our entire final night of holiday around the pool, and wow, now it's closed. My daughter and I were so disappointed we almost bawled.

***

When you go on holiday, you want to feel like you really matter. This type of glib treatment of the customer is frustrating. American customer service is usually outstanding, so this is really surprising.

Veranda Beach, I would like to come back, when I stay in your cute cottage I work hard to keep it sparkling, and we adore your grounds. You have a singular set-up, we honestly, with full hearts, want you to do your best.

I just simply want to feel like you appreciate my time and money being spent at your facility.

I have told countless friends and family about your amazing resort but I cannot in good conscience recommend you after this.

I have brought my concerns to the attention of the front desk and the manager who all seem rather cool in their response.

PS: I come from a rather poor, small town too and if I had been asked, I would have been pleased to donate CASH, rather than TIME, to the school kids of Oroville. Or how about a fundraising event to build them a real public pool that they can use year round? Or how about just advising guests of all these goings-on beforehand so we can decide for ourselves? or plan our day accordingly?

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
17  Thank Amber C
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Yes, they are priced like a resort, but lacking several key things that a resort would have.

Let me tell you our experience. We bought the stay at an auction. It had several restrictions that translated into us going for a long weekend sept 7-9, 2013. This is the weekend after labor day (US). The place had basically folded up and went home. Spoatic hours for the diner (and yet, they didn't even stick to those, closing early). Diner didnt even open on monday.

Check out time is 10am. Really, no joke. Request late checkout and see how they respond.

In order to get a clean towel, you have to turn in your old towel. I've never been to a resort so concerned about how many towels I use.

Owners on property are cranky to guests, as mentioned before. Store is a gift shop, not a place to get groceries. Unless rockstar and lemon heads are your idea of groceries. Poorly described by front desk when we called in. We had a late arrival and we were planning to stop for groceries in oroville, but desk said they had a store!

If we were to come back, i would come prepared to cook meals in the cabin. And that also means bringing basic cooking gear. Cabin is poorly stocked for a family of 6. There are enough beds, but not a single large cooking pot or pan. Bedding was great, as were the beds and the place was cute, although poorly built. It wont hold up to oroville's winters, but thats not my problem. In the end, we may consider coming back because the lake, pool and surrounding areas are really fun, but i am looking at wapato point ot lake chelan first.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Patricia T
Patty L, General Manager at Veranda Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Dear Trip advisor Member,
Thank you for submitting a review of your stay with us.
Veranda Beach Resort is proud to have established a very extensive community outreach program as our contributions help many worthy charities meet their goals. All certificates donated to charities and other causes in both US and Canada are restricted to less busy times as by doing this we can stretch the helping hand a lot further.
Even though Veranda Beach Resort is open all year round, we see a natural slow in flow of guests and business in September.
There is absolutely no excuse for the diner not sticking to the posted times and as this is an independent business I will address this with the owner/operator of the diner.
As this is a cottage resort we differ a little from a hotel where you normally would check-out at 11am or 12 noon simply due to the fact that cleaning a cottage with 2, 3 or 4 bedrooms, full kitchen and a Veranda is a lot more time consuming than cleaning a hotel room. A late check-out can certainly be requested and this is done and often granted if no one is checking into the same cottage that afternoon.
Thanks for letting me know about the information you received from the front desk in regards to our General Store as due to this valuable feedback, we will revise our information so as not to inconvenience any of our future guests.
Each cottage is fully stocked with everything from bedding to towels and kitchen equipment to suit a minimum of 6 people. The cottages are equipped with pots and several pans, toasters, coffee makers etc. and should you need anything over and above what’s there we are only a call to the front desk away.
Wear and tear on a cottage is normal, especially in a busy place like Veranda Beach Resort and each winter we take particular care to bring them back to the original state, which is normally relatively easy as they are well built, so much so that they have so far weathered the Oroville winter for more than 6 years.

Yours sincerely,
Patty Lawrence

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great family vacation spot! Veranda Beach couldn't have been located at a better location on the lake. The "cabins" (ie small houses) are separated by greenways where children can play freely and in close proximity to the boat launch, lake, docks, beach, and pool.

Staff was friendly and happy to help. Will definitely be back.

Room Tip: The closer to the beach the better!
2  Thank vancitytraveller68
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Hard to call the cottages here just that. They are quite luxurious with everything you could want including wifi and aircon (which is needed as Oroville/Osoyoss can get up to 40c). Super clean and everything works. Each cabin is separate by a nice lawn where kids can play. Lots of kids facilities and activities. This is a family joint but there is plenty of peace and quiet as well.

Osoyoos lake is shallow and warm which makes for great swimming.

Only criticism is the food at the diner. Meh, it is ok. Burgers and whatnot mostly. However they have Alpine Ale (local brewery) on tap which is great and poolside bar service!

This is resort is a bit pricy, but worth it in my opinion. Two families can split a nice cabin for about USD 256 per night (each family).

Room Tip: Cottages at the back have big green spaces and a nice view of the mountains. Only 5 min walk to the...
1  Thank John L
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Very nice stay.
Grounds are kept in fantastic shape.
Pool is very large with plenty of loungers.
Lots of green space around the resort for everyone to play games.
The cottages are not built close together so you are not looking into each others cottages.
All and all a very nice place to spend a vacation.

Room Tip: All the cottages are close to all amenities, a person does not need a beachfront cottage.
1  Thank ERDFirefighter
Reviewed August 6, 2013

This was our 2nd year visiting this resort community. As much as I wanna share this place with everyone I appreciate that it's still a hidden gem. The 4.5hr drive is well worth it. Although the town of Oroville feels remote and deserted, this community is the perfect vacation spot. The 1950s theme of the community almost makes you feel like you're on the set of The Truman Show or Stepford Wives. The cottages are well built, Lake Osoyoos is warm, the grounds are well kept, the amenities are great, and good customer service. I won't go into too much more detail b/c all the previous reviews have already done so. Ideal for families, some cottages are pet friendly, and the resort itself is very safe.
This time we had the pleasure of staying at 119 Malarkey Lane. This is a 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom lakefront cottage. This cottage comfortably sleeps 12 people and you can probably get at least 2 more people to crash on the couch. The resort supplies a small box of Tide enough for 1 load of laundry, dish soap, paper towels, toilet paper, garbage bags, and bath towels. This cottage also has a fire pit so don't forget wood for roasting marshmellows and spider dogs.

Cons:

- Check out time is 10am which I think is ridiculous. They were nice enough to extend it until 11am.
- You need a boater's license (they want to see the physical card) in order to rent a boat or seadoo unless you're over 55 which I didn't agree with either. Just because I'm not retired yet it doesn't mean I'm not mature, responsible, and safe.
- Town of Oroville doesn't have much except 1 grocery store Akins Harvest Foods (aka Princes Foods) and apparently Trinos Restaurant serves descent Mexican food.

Suggestions for future - provide bike rentals and expand the fitness center. I hope the winery and golf course get completed soon also.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank LB500

Been to Veranda Beach Resort? Share your experiences!