“If we didn't have a living social..”

Deer Harbor Charters
More attraction details
Owner description: Deer Harbor Charters on Orcas Island was established in 1988 by well known local captain and naturalist Tom Averna, making it the longest operating whale watching company in the San Juan Islands. We are the exclusive whale watch company operating from Rosario Resort and Deer Harbor Marina on Orcas Island. Our boats provide and excellent viewing platform for an experience you will never forget. Our captains and naturalists are island residents and trained at what they do.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Luckily we had a living social deal so it was two for the price of one and we saw one whale. I understand that it's hard to predict these things but I mean I don't want to pay $75 a person to see whale but then be shown a bunch of seals and an eagle. We live in seattle I see that stuff all the time. But the people were really great and tried to make it fun. They were really knowledgeable, but I think it was too early in the season for whales. I would of enjoyed being told that especially for the price...

1  Thank perfectsquare4
in 3 reviews
"boat ride"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed May 12, 2013

I booked this trip for my cousin and I for late April and it could not have gone any better. Tom and Tre were excellant hosts. They not only found us two transiant whales (term I learned from them) to watch, but Tom did not just sit there and watch the whales from a far. He actually was the only boat to follow them around. While they have to stay a distance from them (again something I learned from them) the whales decided to play with us and ended up coming very close to the boat. It was an incredible experience and Tom and Tre made it even better. They shared lots of history about the whales and other sea life with us and as well as the islands themselves. We are planning another trip next year with this group. Thanks!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

This charter rocked it! Their boats are smaller than most but that gives a chance to ask more questions and share more with the on-board naturalist. Our guide was sharing local lore of the islands and watching the clock as we saw a humpback whale surface numerous times. We will be back to see the whales with Deer Harbor Charters!

Reviewed May 4, 2013

First visit out to the Seattle area. Our hotel recommended this charter. Excited to maybe see a whale, but found out it was not the best time of year for whale watching. Decided a boat tour of the islands would still be fun and it was. We enjoyed an excellent view of the islands and Canada. The tour guides were really friendly and very informative; knew so much about all the wildlife in the area and we did see a lot birds, sea lions, etc. They shared the history and current info about the various islands. Their info about the individual whales was fascinating. Would love to go back in the right season.

See more reviews
Reviewed March 17, 2013

My son looks forward to whale watching every time we stay on Orcas. We booked a tour online not realizing that it was the off season (which means the Orca are scarce) but it ended up being every bit as much fun as chasing whales! We saw a whole island full of exotic deer, sheep, harbor seals, bald eagles (full grown and juveniles) and sea lions. We also saw harbor porpoise and Harlequins. Our guide was full of information and made the afternoon even more enjoyable. I've been visiting the islands for years and this experience today felt like getting to know the place on whole different level. We we definitely be back next time!