“We had a fun and beautiful trip!”
Review of Orcas Outdoors

Orcas Outdoors
Ranked #10 of 19 Tours in Orcas Island
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We had a wonderful time,kayaking! The trip was interesting with our experienced guide. We had nice equipment and would like to go again, next time we're in Orcas Island...

There are newer reviews for Orcas Outdoors

Reviewed July 17, 2012

We took a 3h kayaking trip with Orcas Outdoors. While our young guide was friendly and knowledgeable, I have to say that I am quite disappointed in the company advertising the tour as a "whale watching" tour. We did not see any whales in the entire 3 hours that we were out.

1.) Our groupon specifically said that the tour was a "whale watching" kayaking tour and 2.) when I talked to Amee on the phone a few months ago (to try and schedule the trip around the best time to see whales) she informed me that early and late summer would be the best times to see whales, but it would be likely that we'd see them all through the summer. Therefore, I cannot help but think there is some false advertising on the part of the owners. Our guide was very honest and said that it would actually be very UNlikely that we'd see whales as they very rarely go into the area where we were kayaking!! Of note, the other two guys (not in our party) on our trip were equally bummed out that that were no whales to watch. This makes me think that it wasn't just an "oversight" on our part.

We still had a wonderful time, likely because he guide was awesome, knowledgeable, and transparent (our hopes of seeing whales were diminished before we started so at least we could enjoy the rest of the trip). We saw starfish and a bald eagle (juvenile and adult), which was awesome, but in my opinion, not worth an entire day devoted to the trip.

1  Thank Mel G
Amee F, Owner at Orcas Outdoors, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2012

August 17 the whales were out in front of our dock. We are very sorry you did not get to see them. We cannot tell the schedule of the whales. They are wild animals. They are on their own schedule.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

We just returned from the overnight kayak trip to Jones Island and we could not imagine a more amazing time! Everything was so wonderful. Ryan and Amee, the owner/operators are friendly and knowledgeable and truly made the experience more enjoyable. It's easy to tell they really love what they do and want to share the beauty of islands by kayak with everyone.

Ryan was our guide and quickly got us geared up and packed and on our adventure. All gear is provided, though it is recommended that you bring your own sleeping bag. They even provided a secure place to lock up our extra valuables. The weather was absolutely perfect and the paddling was easy to Jones Island. Ryan stopped often enough to explain currents and various wildlife sights, but not too often to feel disruptive. He kept a very nice pace. After a few hours paddling we arrived at Jones Island where we set up camp and were given some time to explore while our delicious dinner was prepared. Easy conversation over dinner with some wonderful people. The next morning we awoke to fresh coffee being brewed. After breakfast and breaking camp we had another couple hours for exploring before pushing off to return to Orcas Island. The return trip was even better. Because we had the current and wind with us, there was a lot more time for learning about the wildlife and geologic features of the San Juan Islands.

I strongly recommend taking this trip! I know we will be returning with our friends and family. It is well worth the money spent and the people who work/run the company truly love what they do and they do it well!

2  Thank KimTabor
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I bought an online zozi deal for the 3-hour trip, we did it on the July 4th weekend of 2012. I left from Orcas Island with my friends, the guide (18-yr old kid, forgot his name) was very friendly, knowledgeable and nice. We got to see seals, bald eagles (including a chick!), and starfish. We also went around some private islands and learned some interesting facts about the islands and their flora/fauna. Overall a very fun trip, definitely something to do on a sunny day with a group of friends.

However, the one qualm I have is that the advertising said "kayaking with whales", which is very misleading. I believe the whale watching is only for the overnight tour. This was a little disappointing to find out, since we assumed we would be taken out to the ocean and then do the kayaking. Perhaps it was our fault for not specifically asking if the 3-hour tour would actually include whales. But when the online deal said it was a "3-hour whale watching tour on sea kayaks", we decided to take it at face value. I'd like to clarify though that the trip was still really fun and worth doing, I just hope the advertising is more accurate next time. This is the online deal we bought- http://www.zozi.com/deals/2586

Amee F, Owner at Orcas Outdoors, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

We are terribly sorry you did not see the whales on your sea kayak adventure. It is stated clearly there is no guarantee to see them as do not know the exact times they will come in our range. This year in fact was the most we have ever seen the whales in our Harney Channel. We have seen this right off our dock and it is amazing and wonderful. The fact is your party were satisfied with our trip and even told us that you had a great trip and a great guide but were so sad about the whales. We would love you to come back and go out on a whale watching boat maybe even for a week straight or more to try and get a view of them. We hope this helps others who read this. Thank you!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

We did the overnight trip to Jones Island with Ryan and a great group of people. Ryan, our guide, took the time to explain the area, where we were going, and various wildlife. He knows the area really really well. I highly recommend Orcas Outdoors for kayaking trips in the San Juans!! They provide everything including food (which was awesome!),tent, dry bags, and sleeping pad, all you need is your clothing, a sleeping bag and a water bottle, which you squish down in two dry bags (you strap the water bottle to the kayak so you can have it while paddling. They are amazing and do a great job making you feel at home.

1  Thank djtabor