“Wonderful whale watching excursion”

Orcas Island Eclipse Charters
Ranked #4 of 17 Tours in Orcas Island
More attraction details
Owner description: We depart at the Orcas Island Ferry Dock for Whale Watching and Light House tours. 56 foot "Orcas Express"U.S.C.G. lic. 48 seats, heated cabin with restroom and upstairs, downstairs outside. Professional naturalists, under water hydrophone system, listen to the Orca . We serve small or large groups. We host weddings and parties. Our vessel has hydraulic stabilizers for a more comfortable ride. We pride ourselves, on our well maintained vessel and our educational environmental awareness program . We run with b20 bio diesel.
Mercer Island, Washington
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Wonderful whale watching excursion”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Dan the captain was simply terrific. His boat was big enough so passengers could walk around but not get seasick. He also had two naturalists aboard, Mary and Kathy, who were very knowledgeable about all the sealife, birds and island history. Captain Dan doesn't fill up his boat with too many passengers so we never felt too crowded. He took a side trip and stopped the boat on the way back from seeing several whales to watch a local fishing boat reel in its catch, while explaining what the fisherman were doing and how the whole thing worked.

Visited August 2012

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Day Trip for Orca Whale Watching - Great Success!”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

After doing some initial research I called Eclipse charters the day before looking for a trip for several of my friends and myself; we were all in Seattle, WA. It is a day trip no matter who you use if you are in Seattle. If you leave from Seattle it is most likely you will find the trips harder to find space unless you plan very early. You will also find the boat to be very large with Lots of people, maybe as many as 200 My friends backed out on the plans, I decided to go anyway. I called and made the reservation the night before. After speaking with Denise from Eclipse charters I decided to travel by car to Anacortes and park there, following their recommendations I took the Ferry to Orcas Island by foot and met the charter right at the ferry. Don't make my mistake, the ticket is round trip for a little over $12, I bought another on the way back not realizing you didn't need it. The Ferry system is not the most informative. Do note it is the same for car as well.

I was very pleased to see the boat has great room and ways to view the whales with both front bow room and overhead observation deck. That was a true blessing.

This trip is more like a personal charter, small groups of people with a total of count of maybe around 25. This made moving around very pleasant and great conversations with peole form all over the world.

We went out and had ample time watching numerous whales thought the time. Captain Dan and crew where fantastic, they make you feel very comfortable and are very informative. I can not tell you how many sightings we had as there were so many you lose count. Be sure to bring a nice camera or video camera if you want to capture the experience. It is well worth it. Do note they provide Binoculars that are okay for Bird Watching, we saw Eagles and Stellar Sea Lions as well.

Awesome Trip! Great Job Captain Dan and Denise.

Well worth the trip and I will be back again with my wife next year!

Visited July 2012
Camano Island, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Top Notch Contact with Nature!”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Excellent boat, fully equipped with every convenience, with total enclosure or open-to-the-winds roof observation, as you like it. Skipper and crew were superb, utterly professional and most informative. Saw orca whales, seals, sea lions and eagles - along with the spectacular seascapes, vistas and clear waters around the San Juan Islands. Prior to departure, the skipper thoroughly briefed the passengers and coordinated with his fellow captains already out on Puget Sound to see where the whales were, which direction they were moving, and the numbers of visible members of multiple pods. We went right to the whales, cut the engines, and drifted near them in quiet respect. Outstanding in every respect and most strongly recommended!

Visited July 2012
Seattle
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Such an insighful and exciting trip”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We really enjoyed our trip with Eclispe Charters as the Captain was quite entertaining. The onboard info. From the naturally was great. But the Whales stole the show as it should be. Our Captain knew where to go and we didn't give up. At the very end when we were about to turn around and leave and one huge whale headed for our boat, got so close and lifted his head up to us and under our boat he went. The highlight of our trip, I'll never forget it.

Flagstaff, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“This is the boat you want!”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I love Eclipse Charters. A beautiful boat with all conveniences. Naturalists on board to educate and answer questins and spot wildlife

1 Thank hollywood86004