“Better than average, but not much”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Mercato Ristorante

Mercato Ristorante
Ranked #30 of 345 Restaurants in Olympia
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Olympia, Washington
“Better than average, but not much”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

My wife and I went for dinner. This was my first visit; she had had lunch there prior.

The decor is up-scale industrial and welcoming. The servers were prompt, maybe too prompt, and the orders were accurate. By too prompt, I mean we felt rushed. There were many empty tables, but the server was trying to turn the table over quickly and rushed the service. Our entrees appeared long before we were done with our appetizer/salad course. This is not good.

The food was a mixed bag. Some of it was excellent, some good, some not-so-good. The antipasto plate was excellent. The charcuterie and cheese were above average and the toast served with it was very good. My wife liked her salad, but said it wasn't special.

My gnocchi dinner was flat, uninteresting, non-standard, and just blah. Somebody decided to play with the concept of gnocchi and make big disk-shaped pieces. It was an epic fail. It changes the texture in horrible ways, making it spongy, soft, and generally unappetizing. The sauce was adequate, but just barely. Stay away from this dish.

My wife had the chicken penne and was pleased. I took one bite to see and got a mouthful of dry chicken breast. But the flavor was good.

The gelato for dessert was excellent. It isn't made by the restaurant, but by a local shop. This, along with the antipasto plate, may have been the best of the dinner.

The wine list is short, but well balanced. The Albarinho we had was outstanding.

Unfortunately, this place is pricey. I'm not sure it is worth the cost overall. I would stop here for an antipasto and a glass of wine in the outdoor seating on a summer day. But I would skip having dinner here.

3 Thank CommanderChip

Kobe, Japan
“Good location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

My dinner at the Mercato was generally disappointing. Though it's located next to the Olympia Farmer's Market and a short walk from the Olympia Seafood Co, which in my opinion has some of the freshest and highest quality fish sold anywhere in Puget Sound country, the Mercato's seafood tasted bland and had been overcooked. A salad I ordered had wilted lettuce, which didn't make sense given the restaurant's nearness to the Farmers Market and local vendors selling fresh produce. I had fairly high expectations that the restaurant couldn't meet. The service was very good, though that didn't make up for the considerably less than satisfying meal we shared.

Wenatchee, Washington
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

This used to be an excellent restaurant but now it is spotty. 4 diners. 2 mediocre dinner salads, one average pizza and I very good pork chop. Would be a C except for the price you expect much more. Will have to find another Italian place for my Oly visits.

1 Thank 4thHussar
Des Moines, Washington
“Good Lunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

Had chop salad - well done, with good taste, not overpowered by a large pile of 'chop.' And 'Egg Pizza' - good crust and flavor (loved the spicey Italian sausage and carmelized onions), but the three sunny-side up eggs were quite a bit under done. All in all, a nice lunch.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank juvinall3
Olympia, Washington
“Good potential…..”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

This restaurant has great potential. The food is mediocre. Nothing fantastic at all (except the location in the summer). My husband ordered the clam pesto spaghetti and it was disgusting. The noodles were tossed in oil and chopped basil. That isn’t a true pesto…. Very dry and not something we would ever order again. I really like the atmosphere and location; it’s a bummer the food doesn’t match. The reviews are all over the board. I'm shock how many people reviewed at 5 stars....

• Visited April 2013