“Not worth it”

Cuisines: Delicatessen, German
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed September 26, 2007

I've stopped going to Wagner's, although they have a few good things. My favorites are the Christmas items - stollen with marzipan, but last year they had them mislabeled, so no marzipan - and pfeffernusse. But I've had other things I couldn't eat, like their "Napoleans." The toughest crust (supposed to be "pate feuillete"), but I could not get a fork through it. The pastry cream is bought, not made there. So my conclusion is that they make very few, if any, products in the bakery but buy ingredients and assemble cakes, cookies, etc. They are good at cake decorating, but their ingredients are poor. I agree with other reviews that their products taste commercial. Might as well go to Safeway. There is now a very good French bakery in town called the Bread Peddler, where everything is made fresh.

Reviewed June 9, 2007

Not too long ago i stopped in Wagners to see for myself what the locals like so much. Yes it was nice to see that they take pride in there "Appearence" but as for "quality and friendlieness" I would rate them with a big fat "0". I didn't like any of the five items I bought. Everything tasted terrible. The "crisco taste" was in most of what I bought plus what ever the ingredient was, it would leave a film in your mouth. One of my items was definately stale. YUKKKKKKK! To top everything off, my friend purchased a wedding cake from Wagners and like everything else it was not very good either. ( Betty Crockers is better tasting than that was)My friend the "Bride" was also dissapointed with the decorations on the cake. Appearently they must assume all the "mistakes" will be "hidden" by flowers -or- they didn't care about making the cake. Personally, for the price she paid I would have called and raised a fit. Sooooo, I hope My review helps to save you some money..

1  Thank rlmlWa
Reviewed June 1, 2007

I've had Saturday breakfast here most weeks for almost thirty years. I usually have a nice, big cinnamon roll with nuts. The European is genuine, but the pastries have been modified from what's made in Europe, because they're trying to sell in the US. We tend to expect more sugar. Wagner's is the best place in town for cakes and holiday baked goods.

Reviewed March 27, 2007

We heard there was a French bakery in town and assumed this was it. They are not, they are German. We were appalled by the visual display neither my wife nor I could finish what we orderd (upside down cake? and a rockyroad brownie). Lots of shortening tasted and the counter help didn't even know the ingrediant list. We are from Seattle and are used to high quality artisan bakeries and had heard that there was something her in Olympia. They call themselves "European" and I am not sure what that is supposed to mean. After 3 years of living in Europe (France, Switz, Italy) I found nothing similar. Of course I had my share of bad and cheap food (doesn't every nation have it), some I guess I could find some connection. The interior is of a bygone era style, like maybe it was fancy in the 80's. Help was either very new or plain un-knowledeable. Will not return.

Reviewed November 29, 2006

On my first trip there to order a cake, I decided to grab a sandwich to go. It was a grilled turkey and cheese. Okay, turkey and cheese is pretty bland, but this was just about the worst sandwich I've ever eaten (or I should say half-eaten). Dry, bland, blah. Never again for lunch, but their bakery items looked great.

1  Thank Kati