“I don't get it....I'm not impressed.”

Lemon Grass Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 348 Restaurants in Olympia
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
olympia, wa
“I don't get it....I'm not impressed.”
Reviewed August 16, 2009

I heard a lot of buzz about this restaurant, so last night my wife and I decided to give it a try. My wife had the Pad Thai. The noodles were overcooked, the shrimp was rubbery, and the whole thing was absolutely drowning in the overly sweet sauce (think sweet, warm peanut butter) -- yuk. I had a Vietnamese dish that was a warm noodle salad with shrimp and chicken. The food was bland, the shrimp was overcooked, and the chicken tasted like it had been boiled until reaching a tough, leather-like texture. I've eaten at Racha Thai at the mall, which I thought was better than Lemon Grass. My wife disagreed, thinking Lemon Grass was better. Regardless, she said she would not go back to Lemon Grass for dinner. I feel the same way. If you want good Thai food and are up on the Peninsula, try Khu Larb Thai in Sequim. That's how Thai food should taste.

1 Thank The_Style_Guy

Lacey
“My Thai food is better than Lemon Grass”
Reviewed May 5, 2009

Hi, I am native Thai from Bangkok, Thailand. I had dinner there with my Husband for the first time. My Husband ordered Pad Thai. I ordered Spicy Chicken with Lemon Grass. Presentation of food looked good, big dish with alot of food. Pad Thai was not original Pad Thai. No taste, and no ingredients, only alot of noodles and a little bit of vegetables. I can not smell Pad Thai. Mostly NO SPICE BOX, because Pad Thai should come with Vinegar, Fish Sauce, Sugar, Ground Red Pepper. These are basic spice, but they do not have. My husband says my Pad Thai is the best. The Spicy Chicken with Lemon Grass was not Spicy, but I ordered The Hottest (Thai Hot), but was sweet. The Steamed Rice was not fresh, liked cooked yesterday. It did not smell like Jasmine.
If you wish for good Thai Food, should go to restaurant with Thai Owner.

3 Thank SarahLacey
Pullman, Washington
“Best Thai in Olympia”
Reviewed April 20, 2009

Lemon Grass Restaurant has, by far, the BEST Thai cuisine I have ever tasted. The small restuarant has a great atmosphere and very attentive and welcoming staff. The Pad Thai is wonderful. If you like asian cuisine you must try Lemon Grass.

2 Thank wcunningham
Olympia, Washington
“One word: Overrated”
Reviewed January 17, 2009

The Lemongrass benefits from a sterling reputation; however, I feel that people only say its great because other people told them that it is. I

n reality, although there is nothing wrong with Lemongrass, there is nothing too special about it either. It seems to me they got to rule the Olympia Thai food roost for too many years, and now they are fat and lazy. The menu is stale, the ambiance is cramped, the staff is slow and act like they are doing you a favor by serving on you, the experience feels rushed, and the food is just unmemorable.

There are other upstarts on the Olympia Thai scene that equal Lemongrass, and a few blocks up Fouth Ave, Angels Thai is doing things with thier menu that put Lemongrass to shame. For instance, Lemongrass has nothing that even comes close to touching Angels' Four Buddies dish, and that is just for starters.

Lemongrass may be the old vanguard of Oly Thai food, but its best days are now behind it. If you visit Lemongrass without comparing it to other Oly resturants, you may be satisfied. But once you realize what you missing at places like Angles, then you will see that the opportunity cost of a night at Lemongrass is just too high.

2 Thank mntneerjay