“broke and still hungry”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 16, 2014

$90 for a family of five, and I left hungry. I ordered the pulled pork and was served a big hunk of fat. The beans were especially ordinary. My 8 year old ordered off the kids menu, $7 for two ribs, plus $2 for french fries, plus $2.89 for a root beer. His meal was a pinch under $12 and he had some onion rings and a rib from his brother, cuz he was hungry. If I stop here again it is because I ran out of gas on the way by.

3  Thank Dennisjm2014

Reviewed March 7, 2014

I read all the reviews and a llm tyne awards given to the owner, Amy Anderson, I was excited to get some real BBQ. I was wrong, maybe my expectations are too high, I am from South East Missouri, where BBQ is a serious business. I had a slab of ribs, cole slaw and baked beans. I had the full slab because I expected delicious leftovers. My wife had rib tips, fries and slaw. This is when the dream of great food ended. My ribs appear to be boiled and then put on smoke, I could not cut them as the meat came off the bone, like mush. No flavor at all, the slaw was tasteless, and the beans average at best. My wife's rib tips had a decent amount of meat but again no charcoal flavor, Note: the fries are limp, cold and over salted. We expected a great meal and were totally disappointed. The service was very good and the place was clean and the bathrooms very clean. It looks nice but the food is less than average.

2  Thank 1tracman
Reviewed February 1, 2014

This is a very cute little place with great small town atmosphere. We have eaten there quite a few times and I am learning that while they do some foods very well some others are a bit 'lacking'. I love their pork ribs and garlic fries, a staple there. Not being what one would call a BBQ aficionado, while I was pleased - and will be going back for more! - someone really into BBQ might not be. Their beef ribs are disappointing -too expensive, not enough meat or flavor. Their rib steak, while very flavorful, was full of gristle - my dogs were happy because of that however! What really surprised me was their 'twice baked potato'. I'm still not sure where the potato went, I only got the baked skin with lots of cheese and seasoning. It was good but most places call this a 'potato skin' and is served as an appetizer. And if ordering a salad make sure you ask for extra dressing. Their pulled pork and cole slaw are delicious! If you are going for the bar be prepared, it is very small but cozy. Overall this is a nice little efficient, fun restaurant. The owner has overcome a couple of major obstacles to stay in business - a devastating flood in 2007 and then a fire during the rebuild. Who can't support a place/owner that has lived thru that and come out running?

Reviewed January 14, 2014

First off let me say with a chuckle that comparing this place to Famous Daves is like saying a hamburger place is no McDonalds or the pizza was OK but it's no Dominos. No, it's not Famous Daves, it's just really good food. Try to get a seat in the evening and it shows.

I love pulled pork and always try it at any BBQ joint we go to. The Ranch House did not disappoint. If you prefer your pulled (insert type of meat here) cooked in a crock pot in BBQ sauce then you will be disappointed. The Pulled Pork in this place stands well on it's own without any additional sauce, however a dab of their in-house sauce doesn't hurt.

Even better was the Brisket with their BBQ sauce. Holy moly I hit Nirvana when I tried the brisket. I could easily nibble on it until I slipped into a red meat coma.

Spendy? Not when you compare their prices to places that serve meat entrees. Their prices stack up well to the local Family Dining steak and sides.

Best part of the whole experience? Every single person there, working or eating, had a big smile on their face. We chatted with staff and fellow diners like it was just one big family dinner

Reviewed October 27, 2013

We were looking for something with a full bodied BBQ flavor. The BBQ'd ribs, we thought, would be the best first time dinner. Had heard it was very good, busy, so get reservations. I'm sorry, we were very disappointed. Meat was very tender and fell off the bones, fries were ok, beans were good. Plenty to eat but the flavor just wasn't there. The surroundings are very clean and comfortable, excellent service with a smile! Thumbs up to Robb! I don't think we will go back.

Been to Ranch House BBQ? Share your experiences!