“Great Campground”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Olympia
American Heritage Campground
Reviewed June 13, 2014

This is the best campground my family has been to in Washington. There campsites were nice and private and fairly well spaced out there are a few in the open but most have trees on both sides and its not just a bush or two like most sites give you the more rustic feel like you are actually camping out in the wilderness without having to travel that far. There wagon rides my daughter absolutely loved and even when it down poured they still had it going. There isn't a whole lot to do but if your looking for a place to just get away for the weekend and relax its a great place to go. They also have a pool which was closed down when we went since it was still a bit early in the year. I have no complaints from camping here besides some of the rude people next to us blaring their rap music but we didn't let it bother us. We do defiantly plan on coming back!

Room Tip: Nice campground! Best we have found yet in Washington.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We have been going to American Heritage Campground for 13 years since our oldest grandson was 2. Nice clean campground, family oriented, and very friendly people. We now camp there twice a year and bring more of our grandchildren. Great place to relax and feel safe and comfortable...Highly recommend for familys.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank AnitaKate
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Our RV Club stayed at American Heritage RV Park this weekend, and we thought it was a superb location. I had the owner, Rita, set aside spots in January and worked with her and Carla to manage the spots as club members made their reservations. It was a pleasure to work with both of them. They were very thoughtful and pleasant.

The RV park is very wooded, and we selected several camp sites that connected one to the other, as well as several further away. The park was very calm, and quiet at night. The restroom facilities, including showers (hot and free) are very, very clean, and comfortable. The owners give a hay ride in the late afternoon.

Note: there is no individual sewage connection, but a pumpout is available on site. The electricity is 20 amp, and at least two sites managed to trigger a breaker that Carla had to fix. Minor issues.

This is my new favorite park in the South Sound! Very comfortable and beautiful with tall Douglas firs and Western Red Cedar.

Room Tip: If you're with a group, choose the sites that connect.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank FayMac
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We brought our grandkids here for the weekend and were very happy with the facilities. The pool was very clean, as were the bathrooms and showers. The staff was very friendly and helpful and also kept a good presence in the campgraound itself (they don't just sit in the office all day).
As mentioned before, the campground is well treed, so that provides a little privacy to the camp spaces.
Also, I'm not sure who thought of it, but I'm assuming that it was one of the Staff that had tied a bar of soap in some netting for use at the RV Dump. That was nice to see.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Ed H
Reviewed July 22, 2012

This is well treed, clean, well managed campground. The managers are overly helpful. They enforce the rules, but are not unreasonable. Laundry facilities are clean, bathrooms and showers are kept up and recently renovated.
Has a sister campground called Olympia Campground which is not treed.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank J S
Reviewed May 29, 2012

This is a review of the campground and bathrooms with the exception of the pool. It was not warm enough to use it while I was there. I also have not stayed at many campgrounds, so this is a review from a newbie camper. Take from it what you will!

I came to American Heritage with some friends who go there on a regular basis. My friend told me what a wonderful campground it was, with bike area for the kids, evening hayride (free), and fantastic bathrooms. The pros: paved bike loop for the kids, lots of trees at the sites made it feel more private and rustic, proximity to the interstate, free hayride, hot water, firepit. Cons: moldy bathroom, no playground, firepits too low in the ground (hard to get good air flow), and the bathrooms being closed from 11am-1:30pm for cleaning.

The bathrooms are why I'm rating this campground a 3 out of 5. Maybe I have unrealistic expectations... maybe I was led to believe this bathroom would be better based on the rave review I'd heard about it, but I was really disappointed. Since we camp out of a van and don't have an RV bathroom, a nice bathroom will make or break the campground for me. I was REALLY grossed out by the mold all over the ceiling of the bathroom. There was no hand soap by the sinks (according to the owners, campers make a mess with it, so no soap for the rest of us), no paper towels (I'm assuming this again is due to the campers taking them all/making a mess), unsafe electrical outlets (I suppose it was installed pre-current code and was grandfathered in, but can it really be that expensive to update electrical outlets right next to the sinks?), mold on the shower stall floors, no emergency lighting, and the 2.5 hr closure was a hassle. I felt this bathroom needs a minor overhaul in order for me to enjoy my camping experience here. I found it particularly annoying when I was using the facilities late at night and some unsupervised children thought it would be funny to turn off the lights. Thank goodness I had my flash light with me. Emergency lighting would be an important safety improvement especially for someone in the shower who finds themselves suddenly without power, like one of the ladies also in the bathroom when these girls flipped the switch. Not having access to the bathrooms for 2.5 hrs a day was also very disappointing. There was a sign saying to use the pool bathrooms, which was quite a distance away, and meant dragging my young son with me just to go even though the main bathroom was visible from my campsite. 2.5 hrs seemed excessive for "cleaning", especially considering how moldy the shower area was and how LITTLE work was done in there. No towels or soap to refill, and judging by the spiders, cobwebs, and mold, the nooks and crannies aren't cleaned either.

Other than my disappointment with the bathroom, the rest of the campground was good. I enjoyed the hayride and loved having a semi private feeling site with all the trees. I wish the weather had been better so we could have used the pool. Maybe those facilities are more impressive! Overall, I thought its a good campground, but we probably won't return. Its a bit too far of a drive for what I felt was average at best. I may have unrealistic expectations for a campground bathroom, so I'm including photos- judge for yourself.

Room Tip: Some sites are double sites, meaning you share the picnic table and firepit. Some sites are on a gr...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family